Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 08:51 PM

212 posts, read 239,339 times

Advertisements

I realize their are probably 1000 threads on here with the same topic, but I want to know: When is the skyline going to grow? I personally associate a skyline with the power of a city: when I drive through Charlotte or Atlanta and see the skylines downtown, I just imagine that these cities have a lot of development and growth, and know they do. So I realize Augusta is a "mid-sized city," but certainly we could have a skyline like Shreveport, Louisiana or, to be optimistic, Knoxville, Tennessee. Why don't we have a skyline like these cities? I hope someday we can go to the new ballpark on the river and look out to see a grand skyline in downtown Augusta!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 09:05 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,913,242 times
Default Augusta isn't that type of city and will probably won't ever be

If you want an extreme of what Augusta's skyline can and may look like take a trip to Raleigh, NC. Augusta will become the Research Triangle of Cyber Security in the next few decades so you can expect to see a few additional high rises but the overwhelming majority of newer buildings will be multiple stories (5 floors at the most) on very large and spread out footprints IMO.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:38 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
If you want an extreme of what Augusta's skyline can and may look like take a trip to Raleigh, NC. Augusta will become the Research Triangle of Cyber Security in the next few decades so you can expect to see a few additional high rises but the overwhelming majority of newer buildings will be multiple stories (5 floors at the most) on very large and spread out footprints IMO.
I agree. I think if Augusta sees anything over 5 stories downtown it will be a hotel or a residential development on the old train depot site. I believe most new construction in the downtown area will be similar to the Canalside project in the Medical District. You might see some office buildings in the 5-10 story range in the proposed office park near Ft. Gordon as well.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:54 PM

998 posts, read 1,550,731 times
It's usually multiple decades before a substantial tower is built downtown prior to the previous one... Marion and Lamar building early 1900's, the former Wells Fargo building in the 60's and the 18-story Pepto Bismol bottle on the river in the early 90's... O/U 10 years may be a good bet for anything THAT substantial being added to the skyline provided something like 2008 economic crash doesn't happen again.

But before all that can happen, a few other things need to first just in the downtown area alone:

The levee needs to be removed to generate the vitality along Augusta's most important natural feature, being the river, in order to attract another major project like a large tower. Adequate downtown parking (especially along broad street) needs to be addressed while at the same time taking up unused/undeveloped space forcing new developments to go up and not out. AU needs to establish a major footprint downtown, more so than it already has while private companies need to continue to locate downtown like Unisys and others... they will with Cyber Command expansion. Eventually when we see the Marion Building remodeled/re-used and the old Richmond Hotel cleared out of its current tenants while also being remodeled/re-used, we'll know something major is happening. If the long in the making Miller Theater reopens, that can only help things on that end of downtown. Oh yea, and our favorite lot of commissioners needs to do their part and just stay the heck out of the way...

Old 04-15-2016, 10:31 PM

These vacant buildings are beside the Richmond Hotel and is an example of what can be demolished and turned into a small parking deck, much like I've seen in other cities to eliminate the problem of little to no parking downtown. I really don't see many if any other alternatives to fixing parking, if/when it's fixed, it will make downtown more attractive to developers and their buildings.

When Will Our Skyline Grow?-image.jpeg

Old 04-15-2016, 11:04 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
Don't really see much difference between Augusta and Shreveport. Knoxville does have quite the bigger skyline. Supply and demand is the most important thing to remember. The demand is building up

Many companies associated with the Cyber Command are coming here over the next few years. They need office space and could build a mid-rise or high-rise building.

The other two options include residential or hotel developments. Definitely expect to see the skyline change eventually. We haven't even mentioned the MCG Foundation Gateway project and two companies are looking at building mixed-use developments.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
It's usually multiple decades before a substantial tower is built downtown prior to the previous one... Marion and Lamar building early 1900's, the former Wells Fargo building in the 60's and the 18-story Pepto Bismol bottle on the river in the early 90's... O/U 10 years may be a good bet for anything THAT substantial being added to the skyline provided something like 2008 economic crash doesn't happen again.

But before all that can happen, a few other things need to first just in the downtown area alone:

The levee needs to be removed to generate the vitality along Augusta's most important natural feature, being the river, in order to attract another major project like a large tower. Adequate downtown parking (especially along broad street) needs to be addressed while at the same time taking up unused/undeveloped space forcing new developments to go up and not out. AU needs to establish a major footprint downtown, more so than it already has while private companies need to continue to locate downtown like Unisys and others... they will with Cyber Command expansion. Eventually when we see the Marion Building remodeled/re-used and the old Richmond Hotel cleared out of its current tenants while also being remodeled/re-used, we'll know something major is happening. If the long in the making Miller Theater reopens, that can only help things on that end of downtown. Oh yea, and our favorite lot of commissioners needs to do their part and just stay the heck out of the way...
It's going to happen much sooner than later.. Dr. Keel has expressed the Cyber Village could potentially happen around Sibley Mill in Harrisburg and the GGHF site on the river.

The 17 story Lamar building is under contract . The Marion Building is owned by Clay Boardman and Barry Storey.. Mr. Boardman is responsible for many projects including Enterprise Mill. Barry Storey is responsible for many projects including the landscaping partnership on Wheeler road. Both are looking to add residential..

The group behind the Miller theater had around $18 million earlier this year.. Construction is underway and Fox Theater(Atlanta) gave them $50k which is the largest grant ever awarded in their history. The grand opening is set for late 2017..

Last edited by nortonguy; 04-15-2016 at 11:37 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Don't really see much difference between Augusta and Shreveport. Knoxville does have quite the bigger skyline. Supply and demand is the most important thing to remember. The demand is building up

Many companies associated with the Cyber Command are coming here over the next few years. They need office space and could build a mid-rise or high-rise building.

The other two options include residential or hotel developments. Definitely expect to see the skyline change eventually. We haven't even mentioned the MCG Foundation Gateway project and two companies are looking at building mixed-use developments.
Agree with all you said, but I think Augusta is behind Shreveport in terms of the skyline and their metro is 150,000+ or so less than Augusta. They have more infill, taller and newer buildings than Augusta does.

When Will Our Skyline Grow?-image.jpeg

Last edited by tckr83; 04-15-2016 at 11:54 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
It's going to happen much sooner than later.. Dr. Keel has expressed the Cyber Village could potentially happen around Sibley Mill in Harrisburg and the GGHF site on the river.

The 17 story Lamar building is under contract . The Marion Building is owned by Clay Boardman and Barry Storey.. Mr. Boardman is responsible for many projects including Enterprise Mill. Barry Storey is responsible for many projects including the landscaping partnership on Wheeler road. Both are looking to add residential..

The group behind the Miller theater had around $18 million earlier this year.. Construction is underway and Fox Theater(Atlanta) gave them $50k which is the largest grant ever awarded in their history.

I hope you're right, but it's obvious that under the current structure downtown... They can't add residential in the Lamar and Marion building yet b/c there is simply no place to park all those people 24/7/365. Any deal made to make them residential would have to be a collaborative agreement to build a parking deck in the lot behind the Lamar/Marion buildings and the Imperial theater. That's the only space on that block that is possible, Billy Morris pretty much owns the rest of it.

Boardman/Storey bought the Marion in 2010, it's already been 6 years, who knows when they'll act... Even they said only when the time was right and conditions warranted it, to which, I think Augusta is improving its infrastructure downtown but it's not quite there yet. They've improved the lighting, sidewalks and coming soon the roads leading to a more walkable downtown which the citizens, developers and small business owners will notice.

Note sure what's going to happen with the Cyber Village, kinda wish the GGHF site could be used for something else that can attract foot traffic day and night. What that is, I don't know.

I know Miller is close, but I'm 33 and a lifelong Augustan that has never been in the building. I've heard all kinds of stories from my parents/aunts/uncles/etc about how neat the building was to be in and it just seems like it's taking forever and a day for them to finish the darn thing. Looking forward to going in it.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:03 AM

Parking is one of the biggest issues facing downtown. The 25 new spaces opening along Jones Street is not enough. Eventually the city should build a parking deck somewhere on Lower Broad.

The Marion building probably will take longer to move forward. The Lamar Building is around 65% empty and the investor has a few tenants to capitalize on.

17 acres can hold buildings associated with the cyber village, dorms, performing arts center, arena, etc..

The Cyber Village could literally mean anything. Businesses? Classrooms? Sibley Mill phase 1 did recently pop up on the planning and zoning site.
http://appweb.augustaga.gov/planning...y.asp?zID=4947

Remember Augusta had two 10-12 story condos proposed on the train depot site before the recession. A new hotel was apart of the development.

After landing Unisys I've changed my opinion about the speed of growth downtown.. They could have easily opened in West Augusta, North Richmond, or the Belair area near Fort Gordon(property between Gate 1 & Gate 3).

Last edited by nortonguy; 04-16-2016 at 12:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area