Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 01:50 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

The census released their annual estimates for counties and metro areas today. As of July 1, 2016, the Augusta-Richmond County,GA-SC metro population is estimated to be 594,919. That's an increase of 4,872 from the 2015 population of 590,047. Percentage wise it was 0.8%. Breaking it down by counties, Columbia continues to be the leader with an increase of 3,370 to 147,450. Next was Aiken County with an increase of 1,347 to 167,458. The only other counties in the region to grow were Augusta-Richmond, which saw an increase of 246 to 201,647 and Lincoln County which saw an increase of 143 to 7,828. The other counties in the region saw small decreases, with Edgefield County suffering the biggest loss of 145.

For more info, the census has the numbers at their American Fact Finder page:https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...ta/tables.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 06:06 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,890 times
That is quite telling. Collumbia County accounts for 70% of all the growth in the entire metro area. I dont think that is really much of a surprise. So the "Fastest Rising City in The Southeast" grew by a whopping 246 people in the past year. That is a yearly growth rate of 0.001%

Old 03-23-2017, 06:20 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
That is quite telling. Collumbia County accounts for 70% of all the growth in the entire metro area. I dont think that is really much of a surprise. So the "Fastest Rising City in The Southeast" grew by a whopping 246 people in the past year. That is a yearly growth rate of 0.001%
We've had a ton of debates about this topic. I believe RCBOE is really hurting the counties growth. The county does have some fine magnet programs but the overwhelming bulk of the schools are failing miserably and have been for years. I don't think its crime due to the connection between a poorly educated population and increases in crime. If Richmond County wants to fix this slow growth it must start with the school system.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
We've had a ton of debates about this topic. I believe RCBOE is really hurting the counties growth. The county does have some fine magnet programs but the overwhelming bulk of the schools are failing miserably and have been for years. I don't think its crime due to the connection between a poorly educated population and increases in crime. If Richmond County wants to fix this slow growth it must start with the school system.
I agree 100%, if Augusta-Richmond wants to grow, the city and business community must get serious about fixing the school system. If it doesn't, the county will continue to see anemic growth. I believe partnerships like the textron program for at-risk students is a good start, but more must be done.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:19 AM

Another note as well, with all the hype from the local chamber of commerce crowd regarding Army Cyber Command moving here, I would have thought growth in the Augusta area would be more robust. Other than the 2014-2015 numbers, growth since the announcement of cyber command coming to Augusta has been rather tepid imo. While I certainly do believe the growth of the cyber industry will have an impact on Augusta, I think the local boosters may have overplayed the hype of cyber a little bit.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:21 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Another note as well, with all the hype from the local chamber of commerce crowd regarding Army Cyber Command moving here, I would have thought growth in the Augusta area would be more robust. Other than the 2014-2015 numbers, growth since the announcement of cyber command coming to Augusta has been rather tepid imo. While I certainly do believe the growth of the cyber industry will have an impact on Augusta, I think the local boosters may have overplayed the hype of cyber a little bit.
Is it possible that the ACC actually is starting to happen but most newcomers, especially those with kids, are opting to live in Columbia County or in S.C. rather than Augusta-Richmond?

Old 03-24-2017, 08:57 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
The first phase of construction of the new ACC complex won't be completed until next year, and the second phase is scheduled for completion in 2019. So why are folks expecting to see a population boom from 2015-2016 when we're at least three-four years out from completion of the complex?

Old 03-25-2017, 06:51 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,388,028 times
Columbia county growth comes from people who used to live in Augusta.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:54 AM

194 posts, read 163,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
Are you being facetious?

Old 03-26-2017, 05:06 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
If that's the case, the same trend is happening in Macon as well, a lot of the residents are moving out of certain slum areas like South Macon and moving next door to Houston County for a better quality of life.. It seems the trend is back on to the burbs is starting to happen again around the country with a little new added growth.. Columbia Counties growth im sure is a mix of both..

Last edited by oobanks; 03-26-2017 at 05:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area