Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 12:24 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times

Advertisements

I think everybody from Augusta can tell John Brodie doesn't spend a lot of time outside Columbia County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 10:37 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
people on the Jerry Springer side of town may drink coffee but they won't pay $2.50 a cup for it. SA is more suited for McCafe
Quote:
Has that been announced? That would be great but I highly doubt Publix will be locating to SA
Well you were wrong about Starbucks...might be wrong about this too.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:52 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
It's been a while since I have been in that part of town. Our Walmart Neighborhood market opened last year in Grovetown. I definitely prefer it over the supercenters. I wonder how long that Bi Lo can hang on with a Walmart just across the street on Windsor Spring Rd.
I wonder how long BI-LO and Harvey's Supermarket will remain in Augusta-Richmond County. Remaining stores are approaching twenty and twenty-five years in operation. Some of the ninety-four BI-LO, Fresco y Más, Harvey's Supermarket, and Winn-Dixie stores closing by Monday, 30 April, have had expiring leases.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:52 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,200 times
Quote:
Baby's R US is part of Toys R Us...a national chain that is going bankrupt and closing all stores. As far as Target goes, I rarely shop there but heard that Amazon may buy it. That would be interesting. Also it looks like Bed Bath and Beyond is in trouble. Publix is considered a more premium supermarket brand, usually just a step above Kroger..and in the league of Harris Teeter (Kroger's premium brand). The average household income in South Augusta is simply not in line with what Publix looks for when locating stores. Like I said, even Kroger bailed on the South Augusta market. It is more reasonable to expect discount grocers to locate in South Augusta. Also don't forget that a lot of the people who live in the Tobacco Road/Windsor Spring area work at Fort Gordon and have access to the Commissary...where prices are cheaper and there is no sales tax. This has historically been a problem for chain supermarkets in that area.
The only stores that had problems in the Tobacco Rd area were Food lion and Winn Dixie...and that problem was with their chain as a whole. Both businesses were struggling across the area when those locations closed. In fact Winn Dixie is gone completely and Food Lion is almost non existent.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:38 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,389,850 times
Can’t wait for trader joe, target and Publix to come to South Augusta market

Old 06-07-2018, 02:43 PM

170 posts, read 476,609 times
I'm reading the quotes posted by AUGnative really putting down SA. You're saying the Jerry Springer side of town. Why would you be so unkind? I moved here four and a half years ago and live in SA not too far from Deans Bridge Rd/Willis Foreman area. One thing I've noticed since I've moved here from Ohio is how friendly people are. Now I read this and think why would you judge and entire area of town like this? You're calling people who live here names like that? So unkind and unnecessary. You don't know everyone who lives in this area. How do you know what people would or would not buy? I personally love Starbucks and I'm very excited that one is being built in my part of town. This is how prejudice begins. You group and entire group of people together instead of seeing individuals. I hope you can rethink your statement. All people deserve respect and kindness. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to speak my thoughts.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:42 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,519,790 times
Actually it was a former Augusta mayor who referred to SA as the Jerry Springer side of town. I used to live in SA and have no I'll feelings for the people or the area...though I do have to say it has deteriorated over the years. But that has a lot to do with the city dumping section 8 on mostly the Southside. It has always been more of the blue collar part of town...the humble working folks which is why I am skeptical of people there being willing to pay $3 + for a cup of coffee. I just dont see a lot of hipsters with laptops in SA sipping lattes.
As for The Jerry Springer comment... That was tongue in cheek and referred to when a former mayor went to a town hall meeting in Goshen and had a hot mic moment when he referred to the crowd in attendance like " being on the Jerry Spri nger Show". BTW, the town hall was about Goshen residents being upset with the city moving section 8 apts into their neighborhood.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:30 PM

568 posts, read 699,131 times
Looks like ChrissyR's alter ego got sent to the penalty box.... SMH

Old 06-13-2018, 10:00 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
Where are hipsters in Grovetown with laptops? Grovetown has been more of the blue collar side of town. Somebody claiming to live in Grovetown and make sarcastic remarks about South Augusta is laughable. The comments are ridiculous considering even with the growth in Grovetown there's still trailer parks in the city limits.

And the Goshen meeting was about an grant and never happen. Plus it was from 9 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area