Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:18 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,317 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the kudos Yogi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 01:11 PM

7 posts, read 11,699 times
Yog, I can appreciate what you were saying about the community. I must say you really wrote a paper on it...lol. However, my comment was just addressing your comments made about Mexicans and African-Americans. You made a lot of valid points, but lets be clear. About the Mexican problem--If Americans were truly serious about the borders, business owners would take a more active approach about not hiring illegals. There's a lot of things I can say about my people, but thats another topic. I truly appreciate you being more sensitive about your words, because reading your blog, I see you truly have a lot to say. I'll see you on the next topic...

Old 08-01-2010, 10:49 AM

95 posts, read 228,039 times
Default Keep the money in the states!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgavin View Post
About the Mexican problem--If Americans were truly serious about the borders, business owners would take a more active approach about not hiring illegals.
BINGO!

You hit the nail right on the head, FG. Businesses have to make the first moves if we're to see the economy improve. I'd dare to say that billions of dollars across the US are lost due to overseas outsourcing and illegal aliens. The argument is always made that illegal immigrants are taking the jobs others do not want but, again, I just don't agree with that. I think businesses find it all too tempting to hire cheap labor.

The problem is not so much with people moving here illegally. It's more about not having them accounted for and, as a result, losing out on taxable dollars. I feel that anyone that lives here should respect our culture, our history, and our laws. Learn the language, take classes, pay your dues, and contribute rather than mooch.

Like I said, it's not any single group or social construct. I just believe that we have too many people that live in the states, take advantage of the freedoms and privileges, look down upon Americans, and don't give back. If people can't have their own sense of "paying it forward", then the government should create a sense of urgency.

Some may say that at least all these illegals are buying stuff and helping out the local businesses but what about those that are simply wiring money to other countries? Let's not forget that it's often easier for an immigrant to come here, get a loan or two, open up businesses, make some money, and take that money back to their homeland where they can live like kings. To me, it's a slap in the face to those of us that are trying to give back to the community, even when we are barely "making it".

In any case, I am known to write papers about topics I am passionate about.. LOL.. I think no one wants to be the bad guy when it comes to getting a handle on illegal immigration. There's talks about putting undocumented immigrants into the prison systems but that's still a tax burden for the working class. I just feel there should be a clear escalation and everyone should sound off saying, "You're welcome here but you have to play by the rules, like the rest of us." Know what I mean?

I say bring back "Made in the USA" products. Focus on quality so we can be proud to keep money circulating in the states. Create more jobs right here. Bring back the industrial age! Well, maybe not.. But you see where I'm going with this, right?

I digress.. I think we scared off JDudley in the midst of it all. =oP

*waves his CSRA flag proudly*

Old 08-12-2010, 08:17 AM

7 posts, read 11,699 times
Yog, you are correct in you assessment about illegal immigrants. However, I still think it's bigger than what you and I think and the politicians are leading the way. Politicians are very savvy about addressing probelms in our society that we are passionate about, but I have yet seen one politician with any solutions that they are quick to enact--especially on the illegal question. Now they (Politicians) are talking about changing the 14th Amendment. I think that would be a bad idea (But I'm not worried because I know it's all talk). I think that our leaders changing the 14th Amendment is nothing more than political posturing, especially with an election around the corner. I do believe you are correct about your assessment of illigals when you suggest that If you live here, you should be responsible enough to live here the right way. However, we know thats not gonna happen.

Again, with the influx of illegals, or the suggesting of influx of illegals, I try to look at this from a practical since. This is what I think. Let's take the idea about what politicians like to use when they are addressing this problem to us, the voters. One side of the isle like to say we need to protect our boarders and the other side like to say we need to find a path for illigals to citizenship. Again, pure political posturing. The first thing I would want to know about this issue if I was serious about illegal migration--and if I was a politician, is why are the illegals migrating to America? THis is a very simple question, but very complex on its face. You hit on a few points about why. I would add that most people (Illegals) would like to live and work here legally or illegally because of the many opportunities that this country provide. Our democratic society is set up with evolving laws and rules that allow you, as a citizen to make your on life whatever you want to make it--we are truly free to decide! You truly can accomplish most things in this country that you desire and it really doesn't matter what background that you come from. Yeah--we know that the system sometimes miserably fails as it relates to the less fortunate and that's another whole different conversation, however, for the most part, if you are directed in the right path and work hard, you can be a success here in America. With that said, why wouldn't people try to migrate here, legally, or illegally. I know I would.

Hey Yog, I can go on-and-on but I just wanted to make a few points. Good job with your assessment! Keep up your passion about our community, because it's people like you and the passion that you have that make America a great place to live--talk to you soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area