Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 13,390 times

Advertisements

Does anyone drive daily from Augusta to Atlanta to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 03:31 PM

913 posts, read 2,985,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherisesonhigh View Post
It is 120+ miles one way.....I sure hope not.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:21 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
It is 120+ miles one way.....I sure hope not.
And it's a whole lot of nothing the entire trip...And at current gas prices you'd spend more money getting to work than you actually make....

Old 04-14-2008, 05:38 PM

20 posts, read 80,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherisesonhigh View Post
Actually I do know people who commute to atlanta from augusta to work. But they live in wilkes, taliaferro and hancock county. Which is about 35-45 mins away from augusta richmond county. So they are a part of metro augusta and still only 45 mins to atlanta. The further out counties such as wilkes, hancock, warrenton, taliaferro, lincoln, mcduffie, are only 45-50 mins or less to atlanta. Wilkes county and taliaferro, and hancock are only about 45 mins to 1 hr to atlanta. Especially if your job was in dekalb county part of atlanta. The strech of I-20 between atlanta and augusta is predicted to have major developments all along the interstate. Fom city to city in the next couple of years.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:26 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,034,312 times
Wilkes, Hancock, and Taliaferro counties are not in metro Augusta. Wilkes is closer to Athens than Augusta. Taliaferro is the most rural and least populated of any county in Georgia and his hardly part of any metropolitan area.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:29 PM

who's predicting all of these "major developments" along I20?? It's about one of the lonliest stretches of interstate highway in the South. The I 85 corridor and I75 corridor between Atlanta and Chattanooga is expected to see the most growth. If you know of some big plans for the no-mans land that is Augusta to Atlanta then please share them.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
Wilkes, Hancock, and Taliaferro counties are not in metro Augusta. Wilkes is closer to Athens than Augusta. Taliaferro is the most rural and least populated of any county in Georgia and his hardly part of any metropolitan area.
If you look on any ga map. You can see augusta metropolitan area stops at greene county which is apart of athens. Even though wilkes, hancock, and taliaffero are not officially apart of the metro according to the census. I see wilkes tags everyday in augusta. So that's probably why on every map its included for augusta. Because wilkes is a common tag seen in augusta. If i go to athens i doubt there will be any wilkes tags. Wilkes and lincoln counties are bascially intact so why would they drive to athens. They're friends and family are closer to augusta.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:15 PM

Metro Augusta does not stop in Greene County.. are you kidding? The most recent data from the OMB (office of management and Budget) which defines metropolitan statistical areas defines, the Augusta-Aiken MSA as consisting of the following counties Augusta-Richmond County, GA (Principal City of MSA)
Columbia County, GA
Aiken County, SC
Edgefield County, SC
McDuffie County, GA
Burke County, GA
Being part of a metropolitan statistical area does not equate with being suburban or that an area is raidly growing. Edgefield County, Burke County, and McDuffie County are still largely rural.. but enough of a percentage of the population of each county commutes to Augusta for work.. that is why it is listed.
The counties in the Augusta MSA that would be considered urban/suburban are Augusta/Richmond, Columbia, and Aiken. These counties have a high degree of urban and or suburbanisation.
Warren and Talliaferro Counties are between McDuffie and Greene Counties.
Talliaferro, Warren and Greene are not part of any MSA... though statistically, Greene could possibly be included in the Athens MSA... look at a map... Greene is much closer to Athens than Augusta.. and it neighbors Oconee County, which is already in the MSA of Athens.
The OMB determines the criteria and the main criterium to be included in an MSA of a particular city is how economically integrated that county is with the principal city of the MSA..of which the biggest criterium is what percentage of the population of said county commutes to the principal city for work. Apparantly, according to the OMB, not enough ppl in Lincoln or Wilkes county commute to Augusta for work. That's not to say there are not ppl who do, but not enough to meet the definition set forth by the OMB. Just because you have "relatives" in a particular county does not make that county part of an MSA. YOu are using your own personal anecdotal definition of an MSA, and not the official one recognized by the government.
Here is the most recent listings of MSA in the US from the OMB.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/bulletins/fy2007/b07-01.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-15-2008, 03:26 PM

Having lived in Athens for a while.. I can tell you I saw as many, if not more Wilkes tags in Athens as in Augusta.. The population center of Wilkes (which is a very largely rural county) is Washington, GA.. which is about 15 miles closer to Athens than Augusta. But that's beside the point, because its not considered to be in the MSA of either Athens or Augusta... it simply doesn't meet the criteria.
A random sample of car tags is hardly a scientific survey.
I was in Fairfax County, VA the other day and noticed a number of tags (for whatever reason) from Harris County, GA.. so should I assume that now Harris County is part of the MSA of Washington, DC?

Old 04-15-2008, 03:26 PM

Didn't i just say hancock, taliaferro, and wilkes are not officailly apart of the msa. But are in augusta's metro area. And i said greene county thought not offically apart of athens msa is still considered in their metro area. Did you even read my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area