Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:58 PM

58 posts, read 170,227 times

Advertisements

Folks,
I am expecting a job offer from an employer in Augusta. I really appreciate if you can help me with the following queries:

1. I am planning to move to Evans because of better schools. How is the diversity in the schools? I am first generation immigrant from south Asia; would my kid be treated as a stranger in school by his peers?

2. What would be a good neighborhood in Evans considering good schools and commute to Augusta?

3. I work in IT field. How is the job market in the area for IT in case I have to switch job?

4. I am moving from Chicago suburb. Please give me your opinion. Would it be a good move as I am planning to live there longer term?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,014 times
Well, Augusta isn't exactly the best place to be if you're in the IT field... it's not what you'd call a Tech hotspot like Atlanta, Austin, or Raleigh. BUt then if you already have a job offer, you should be ok.. just don't expect a competitive job market in Augusta. AS for diversity.. the Augusta area is certainly no where near as diverse as Chicago.. but it sounds like you have picked the best part of town to locate in. You will not be the only South Asian family in Evans... in fact there are a good many south asians in that area, especially because of the medical community in Augusta (medical college of GA and several hospitals).. The JOnes Creek subdivision seems to have a good concentration of south asians as does Lakeside High. There are even a coupld of decent Indian Restaurants in Augusta, but if you want to do some serious shopping for ethnic food and go to better restaurants, Atlanta is about 2.5 hrs away. I know of several ppl who live in Augusta who go to Atlanta once or twice a month for shopping. Seriously, since you are used to Chicago and are inthe IT field, you may find metro Atlanta more to your liking. IT has a lot more to offer as far as jobs..but then again Augusta is fairly inexpensive overall.. but its just not a hotspot for IT jobs... expect pay to be considerably less. You will find a much larger south asian community in metro Atlanta, especially in East Cobb County and Sandy Springs.
But if ou do plan on moving to the Augusta area, the Evans is your best bet overall.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:21 AM

66 posts, read 201,784 times
Hi explorer123,
Where in Augusta will you be working? As Disgusta said, Jones Creek is a nice subdivision, and it's convenient to Riverwatch Parkway which can get you downtown. Not to be nosy, but when you say 'south asian' what ethnicity are you? There is an Indian community here in Augusta, and there is also a Vietnamese and Chinese community. There are some asian markets, Indian Restaurants, and at least one Vietnamese restaurant that I know of, but you will probably have to drive to Atlanta for more variety. We have some friends who are Vietnamese, and they regularly drive to Atlanta for grocery shopping. Hope this helps.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:33 AM

Thank you very much. This helps. By the way, what would be the typical price for a 3 BR house (new or old) in Jones Creek subdivision? If Jones Creek is the first, what would be my second choice. I appreciate your answers.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:23 PM

I'd suggest checking out one of the local Augusta realtor websites.. Jones Creek always has listings.. anything in that genera area should be fine. Jone Creek has bigger and smaller homes so there are various price ranges to choose from.
Meybohm is a good resource to check out. Hope this helps. BTW, your kids should have no trouble in that school district.. schools are pretty good ( its an upper middle class suburban area).

Old 06-29-2008, 09:22 PM

17 posts, read 22,542 times
There are several nice neighborhoods off of hardy macmanus and washington road in the evans area.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_G View Post
Hi explorer123,
Where in Augusta will you be working? As Disgusta said, Jones Creek is a nice subdivision, and it's convenient to Riverwatch Parkway which can get you downtown. Not to be nosy, but when you say 'south asian' what ethnicity are you? There is an Indian community here in Augusta, and there is also a Vietnamese and Chinese community. There are some asian markets, Indian Restaurants, and at least one Vietnamese restaurant that I know of, but you will probably have to drive to Atlanta for more variety. We have some friends who are Vietnamese, and they regularly drive to Atlanta for grocery shopping. Hope this helps.
I will be working for "Electrolux". Any comment or feedback about the company and their IT? How's there reputation as an employer? Are they in the area quite sometime? Ethnicity perspective, I consider myself as an Indian. Thanks.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:35 AM

I'm not familiar with their operations in Augusta, but from what I understand Electrolux is a very well respected and stable company making home appliances. The company is based in Sweden, and swedish companies tend to get very high marks on things like benefits and employee satisfaction.
Electrolux manufactures Kenmore appliances for Sears as well as Husqvarna lawn and garden equipment. They also have their own line of high end home appliances under the electrolux label.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:25 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Evans is a nice growing bedroom community of Augusta. I sure you will find something in your price range that you like.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:16 PM

937 posts, read 864,745 times
I think the Electrolux operations in Augusta is its North American headquarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area