Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 9,405 times

Advertisements

Need fellow Downtown Augusta resident’s opinion...

Would a grocery store working in the down town Augusta area?

Would have to be located on Broad Street. Probably between 8th and 10th street.

Some concerns would be:
Parking: Would someone find parking, get out, and go shopping?
Residence: Is there enough residence that live in the downtown area?
Style: What style store would be appropriate? Kroger, Publix, Whole Foods, or Trader Joes style?

I’m sure there are plenty more questions that would need to be answered before anyone would even consider the option of opening a store, but I live and work downtown.

Would a grocery store downtown be successful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 04:06 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
We have a Publix here in downtown Greenville, so I don't see why one wouldn't work in downtown Augusta.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:36 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,855,825 times
It could work...maybe a smaller scale grocery store or something like a Trader Joes. But downtown probably doesn't have quite enough residents just yet, but I think in a few years, it may happen. A European style market would be nice.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:38 PM

337 posts, read 793,602 times
We live downtown and would take ANY type of decent grocery. The Delhaize Group (Food Lion's parent company), has many different type of mini stores in Belgium and other European countries. Small selection of fresh fruit, vegetables, baked goods, Belgian Beer, pre-packaged foods, etc. Stopped there everyday on my way to work. That would be a dream...

Old 01-16-2009, 01:01 PM

8 posts, read 18,180 times
I was born and raised in Augusta so I know it well. Recently I have moved to the Atlanta area. There is one major problem with downtown, the crime. The store parking lot would become a hangout for the wrong crowd and there would not be enough decent people there to help support it. Augusta downtown is one of my favorite places to go. But there is still much to be done there. For one the Richmond County Sheriff office needs to get the right people in office and really clean up that area. There are allot of people interested in revitalizing the downtown area but until the government officals work as a team and get together this will never happen. I know they have recently started drug bust there but it is a far cry from what can really be done. Once the safety issue is resolved, you can start to revitalize the downtown and a grocery store as well as other things will thrive downtown.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:15 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
I think you moved to Atlanta maybe 5 or 7 years ago. Or you never lived here before. Because downtown has their own men with green shirts. Who provide security, help visitor's with questions and etc. Broad street looks better every year. I don't you think you have been in downtown Augusta for a while. I live here and their was no drug bust in downtown. I watch the news. You need to visit downtown and you will see the 7 or more cranes. I think you are confusing East Augusta with downtown Augusta.

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-16-2009 at 01:33 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 PM

4 posts, read 9,405 times
I agree with you norton guy but I agree with vicky also. I have been visiting downtown augusta almost weekly for work for the past 2 years. A LOT has changed, but there is still a lot more to go. There is the CADI crew which is the green shirt guys you mentioned. They are GREAT. They help clean the streets, help the people of downtown, etc. But I have personally seen drug deals and prostitution on Ellis Street in the middle of the day! There is a lot of police presence downtown, but they seem to not be doing much. The people of Augusta need to request that the police beef up not only there presence but there actions on cleaning up the streets.

Thanks for all replies on the grocery store idea. Lets hope it will happen eventually. Like some said its probably still a few years out before it would truly work.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:42 PM

765 posts, read 1,910,585 times
What a bunch of stupid out of touch idiots Gurleys can't even hold business because of crime and these *******s think Augusta can "revitalize" the area...

Old 01-18-2009, 12:51 AM

1,303 posts, read 3,855,825 times
Crime is still a problem is downtown. The sheriff's office needs more patrols downthere... they need cops on foot, walking a regular beat. Downtown had this before consolidation when they had their own police department. The sheriffs department has to deal with the entire county.. and often, downtown gets shortchanged..and with revenues becoming scarce, the situation may get worse. On e thing they could do is get BETTER LIGHTING on broad street and on the side streets. The criminal element is attracted to areas that are not well lit.
I think the downtown BID is working on providing private security for downtown as well as some better lighting.. hopefully it will happen soon.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,754 times
Considering the economic collapse, I think it would be a good idea to trade goods for services. Anyone interested can leave a post and I'll catch up with you. I'm in the Atlanta area.

To start the bargain, I could bring web services, information consulting, legal services, and various foods (homemade pumpkin pie, biscuits, cornbread, Brunswick Stew, Vegetable soup, Chicken Noodle soup, Beef stew, brownies, chocolate chip cookies, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area