Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:16 PM

15 posts, read 42,761 times

Advertisements

Any feedback on Augusta? I read plenty about Atlanta, but dont see much on Augusta. I am a widowed, single mom of kids ages 10 through 21. Leaving Miami for GA. Everyone seems to be pushing me toward the Atlanta area, but I would rather avoid the traffic and the huge size of the city. I think Augusta is also probably more affordable. We are a multi ethnic family, I might add, and I am concerned about racism issues, good schools, (especially Catholic school for my younger two). My daughter is handicapped and wheelchair bound, so I also have that consideration. This is a huge step for me so I am very nervous, as I really don't know anyone in GA, and will be starting fresh. Hoping to find friendly, welcoming people. I do have friends moving to Aiken SC, so I figured Augusta would not be very far from them also.Also, is there any social life for a single mom in Augusta, or will I be lonely as heck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 04:22 PM

43 posts, read 198,186 times
Thumbs up Augusta vs Atlanta ( AUGUSTA IS CLOSER TO AIKEN)

Augusta is a middle size metro area a little more than half a million people. Richmond County Augusta is GA second largest city, Evans is not a city but if was would be the 4th largest city in the state. You are very right about atlanta, augusta is growing just not that fast so our traffic is not as terrible as atl. Augusta has plenty of activies downtown such as first friday a mini mardi gras with street vendors, live music, and everything stay open later. Downtown has boat races, bike races, parades & festivals, concerts, and other activities. West augusta has the Augusta mall which is expanding and already was 1 of the biggest malls in GA. Richmond county has Davidson, and A.R. Johnson 2 of the top high schools in all of the GA. They also have a number of catholic, christian, and other private schools , and theres plan to build a mangnet high school in south or central augusta. Augusta houses are alot more affordable than other metro areas in the states. Richmond county is 54% black so since u have a multi ethnic family there should be no problem. Columbia county is more white but still has blacks, hispanics, asians other races. If u dont want to live in augusta there is Evans, GA(getting 4 new lifestyle centers) which is the biggest of the outskirts it is having alot of growth and construction all over the place. Traffic may become a problem in the future, & houses cost more than augusta but u can live in a suburb and still have a big city feel. North Augusta is the closes to aiken right across the river right next to downtown augusta. They have alot of devleopment and very nice houses on the river. Martinez, GA (new mall late 07 early 08) is only congested in certain spots like at, busy washington rd where there is a retail or some kind of business (resturant, store, club) but still haves alot nice neighborhoods tuck away from the busy street with still easy acess to it when u need to. Grovetown, GA is growing at a good speed they plans to build a high school instead of sending kids to present harlem, it is a nice area with alot of military,retirees, different races and growing fast but just not like evans so u wont have to worry about traffic plus closer to augusta mall. Thomson, GA is a little further out about 30 min nice town where u can still drive to augusta to do major shopping or other activities. Hephzibah, GA is located in south augusta & is its own city (own police force, school,etc) about 20 to 30 min from augusta mall but it is growing the fastest because south aug has the most land but the least develop unlike west augusta (construction everyday) Tobbacco rd just added two elementary schools , theres plant to build a middle school and a magnet high school. Augusta is 20 to 30 min away from your friends in aiken, sc. 1 hour from columbia, sc and 2 hours away from atlanta, ga. Also may want to check harlem, appling, clearwater, wrens, louisville, or aiken itself.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:25 AM

9 posts, read 55,317 times
Default Augusta zip codes

On realtor .com properties are listed with the zip codes. I don't know the area so it would be helpful to me to know which zip codes are in areas that are not safe/high crime areas. If you know anything, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks a lot,

newyorker62

Old 04-24-2007, 03:40 PM

351 posts, read 884,406 times
Look into the Thomson area for sure

Old 04-27-2007, 06:03 PM

8 posts, read 29,758 times
Augusta is beautiful if you ask me, transportation is a must though there is no bus lines or anything down there, but i suggest it for anybody

I love augusta, ga

Old 04-28-2007, 07:21 AM

351 posts, read 884,406 times
the city of augusta has public transit

Old 04-28-2007, 10:43 AM

8 posts, read 29,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadog View Post
the city of augusta has public transit
When i was down there, We had to travel everywhere by Car and my family told me a vehicle is a must, I am relocating there in about a month or so, Is the transit only throughout certain areas or something?

Old 10-24-2010, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewBoy View Post
When i was down there, We had to travel everywhere by Car and my family told me a vehicle is a must, I am relocating there in about a month or so, Is the transit only throughout certain areas or something?
There technically is public transit in Augusta, but it isn't throughout all of Augusta/surrounding areas. I've lived in Augusta all my life and I've really only seen bus stops downtown maybe one or two in Martinez and there is definitely no public transportation in Evans. For the most part a vehicle is a must, you could technically probably get around using public buses but it would be a huge pain and you would be limited to pretty much the downtown Augusta/Augusta area. Don't expect anything close to what you would have in major cities.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:01 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times
Any reason you aren't considering Aiken, since it is near your friends and probably exceeds your expectations? Especially when in comparison to Augusta in general...just curious.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:57 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
Any reason you aren't considering Aiken, since it is near your friends and probably exceeds your expectations? Especially when in comparison to Augusta in general...just curious.
The original post was from 2007. Chances are by now she has moved.

And all of Aiken is NOT 20-30 minutes from Augusta! So many people on here post that. That's only true for the north side of Aiken. I live in south side and the mall is at least 50 minutes away. The airport is 45 minutes. Augusta State is 60 minutes. Augusta Tech is 50 minutes. Downtown is about 60 minutes. All are far from 20-30 minutes. Most people in Aiken live in the south side. That's also where all of our stuff is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area