Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:48 PM

97 posts, read 182,247 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how Austin-specific of a question this is but I'm moving there in 14 days, and I think it may be time to end the abuse. I've suffered long enough after signing that contract on the firstt week of my sophomore year of college.

I speak of course of AT&T and their firm iron-clad grip on my privates.

So what say you people of Austin?

What's a good alternative? I'd like to keep my current number, and i'm an iPhone user but I can get off it if it means I don't have to pay $30 a month for a mandatory data plan. just unlimited talk & text and great service around the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 02:04 PM

719 posts, read 2,667,264 times
virgin mobile has pretty cheap data plans
cricket's not bad either

Old 07-19-2011, 03:20 PM

T-Mobile seems to be the lead in affordability in some places.

What however is Cricket? It's never made it's way to NY from what I've heard....Is it reliable? (May I ask what you're on?)

Old 07-19-2011, 03:41 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextstopAustin View Post
T-Mobile seems to be the lead in affordability in some places.

What however is Cricket? It's never made it's way to NY from what I've heard....Is it reliable? (May I ask what you're on?)
I think both Virgin Mobile and Cricket are pre-paid plans.

My husband has an iPhone through AT&T, and I have a smartphone through Sprint. I'll share this: in our new house, I get next to NO service through Sprint. I have to either go outside and talk or use the landline. Texting and web is no problem. Our kids are on Sprint, as well, and they have the same problem. My husband has no problems with his phone in the house. We live in an area with a few hills and lots of mature trees. I'm assuming that's what the problem is? Not sure.

As far as price, my plan is cheaper including the data plan than my husbands. So in our experience, Sprint's plans might be cheaper, but the drawback for me is the lack of service.

I know you are trying to get away from AT&T, so my post probably didn't help much. My brother has T-Mobile, and he's happy. He left AT&T to go to T Mobile.

Maybe Verizon?

Old 07-19-2011, 03:48 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,576,586 times
If you have one of the grandfathered-in iPhone unlimited data plans then I wouldn't switch. If you ever tried to go back to an iPhone (with any provider), you wouldn't have the option of an unlimited data plan again.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:09 AM

322 posts, read 847,398 times
I have virgin mobile. The plan comes with unlimited data and text. You only get 300 minutes a month, but I rarely go that high. We are a texting family. It's 25.00 per month plus taxes.

Last edited by cmaxmor; 07-20-2011 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: i is dum

Old 07-20-2011, 01:46 PM

12 posts, read 21,859 times
I live near UT, on Windsor west of Mopac.. I'm at the top of a hill and get lousy service with Verizon in my house... outside in the drive way, no problem.. go figure.. Verizon also just put a data limit on what used to be their 'unlimited-data' plans.. I loved Verizon since I got it, but the lack of service @ home and new data restrictions will definitely have me shopping for another carrier..

Old 07-20-2011, 02:52 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
I think it is very difficult to truly say one carrier has better coverage in Austin over another. Any experience a few years ago may no longer be valid because of changes in antennas or transmitters over time.

That said, I have had Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile (currently). The rest of my family has Sprint (good family plan).

My opinion today:

1. Verizon is expensive any way you look at it
2. AT&T was perfectly OK with me but I didn't like their phones at the time and I had no interest in an iPhone. I was on AT&T because of a corporate requirement for a while.
3. T-Mobile has a great plan for me, and when I have 4G, it is fast. T-mobile doesn't drop me on a low spot on Bee Caves Rd. like AT&T did, but I bet AT&T is better than T-mobile somewhere else.
4. T-Mobile is not as good in rural areas as Sprint. My wife's Evo gets 4G in many areas where I only get voice.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxmor View Post
I have virgin mobile. The plan comes with unlimited data and text. You only get 300 minutes a month, but I rarely go that high. We are a texting family. It's 25.00 per month plus taxes.
That's amazing? I text more than I talk usually. How's the data? Do you have an iPhone?

How much does it usually come to with taxes and extra hidden fees, etc if I can ask?

P.S. Is it unlimited incoming or 300 total?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 PM

322 posts, read 847,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextstopAustin View Post
That's amazing? I text more than I talk usually. How's the data? Do you have an iPhone?

How much does it usually come to with taxes and extra hidden fees, etc if I can ask?

P.S. Is it unlimited incoming or 300 total?
I don't have an iPhone, but I have a smart phone. I tend to use my laptop more than my phone for internetty things. The data is fine, I haven't had too many issues with it. Couple things: It's a pain in the butt to download games, music, whatever. I don't bother. But then, I don't really care. I know that there is a touch screen version that they have, but I have the "blackberry" type one. There is NO sim card. Weird, huh.
That being said, 25/month for unlimited data and text plus the 300 minutes (all inclusive) is pretty darn good. If you are used to an iPhone with the bells and whistles, then you might go into withdrawal.
I think that my total is about 28$. No more than 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin