Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 AM

515 posts, read 1,397,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidhya13j View Post
Thanks Eichlerfan. Will look into the 290/71 areas. I will typically have a similar situation of flying in/out every weekend. Would you suggest Parker Lane (East of 35) or the Edwards University side (West of 35)?
If it were me (and it was ), I would stay west of of 35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 PM

543 posts, read 1,741,382 times
I would include French Place on my short list of candidates.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,852 times
Hello folks,

Will be relocating to the area in a couple of weeks and working near the airport and looking for advice on
neighborhoods to rent. Probably will not have a car so an area near a bus line/public transit would be
best.
I've considered the downtown area since it seems more accesible. Any suggestions or advice is helpful.

Thanks

Old 04-02-2015, 03:07 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,186,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
I would include French Place on my short list of candidates.
And, don't forget AIRPORT boulevard! While lots of folks on this forum seem to like Oak Hill (intersection of 290 and 71), it's not really in Austin. Airport Blvd. connects lots of central, east and north central areas of town to the airport. Not really a very difficult concept, but it apparently eludes many on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr26 View Post
Hello folks,

Will be relocating to the area in a couple of weeks and working near the airport and looking for advice on
neighborhoods to rent. Probably will not have a car so an area near a bus line/public transit would be
best.
I've considered the downtown area since it seems more accesible. Any suggestions or advice is helpful.

Thanks
I believe your only choice is for you to be within striking distance of the 100 bus, the Airport Flyer, if you are going to be working on or really near the airport. It works well but serves very limited areas, mostly downtown and the university campus. Of course, those are active transfer points for other lines.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:39 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,697 times
Quote:
While lots of folks on this forum seem to like Oak Hill (intersection of 290 and 71
Oh geez. Except for having some of the most desirable real estate markets in Austin and having one of the top rated restaurants in town (Jack Allen's) sure, it's not in Austin! Sorry, that's nonsense. Oak Hill isn't for me either but biased advice isn't going to help.

I wouldn't recommend Oak Hill to anyone with no car though.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,852 times
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm open to being near other lines that transfer to the 100 bus and since it may be cheaper than the downtown area. Considering using Uber/Lyft occasionally as well to get around when not walkable.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:55 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Oh geez. Except for having some of the most desirable real estate markets in Austin and having one of the top rated restaurants in town (Jack Allen's) sure, it's not in Austin!
Since the Y isn't in Austin, where do I apply for a refund of all of those City of Austin property taxes I paid while living in Scenic Brook?

Differences of opinions are one thing -- demonstrably false things are another.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:10 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,697 times
Maybe I need more emoticons, because my point was that it IS Austin.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:20 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Maybe I need more emoticons, because my point was that it IS Austin.
That comment wasn't pointed at you.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:13 AM

92 posts, read 113,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidhya13j View Post
Thanks! I am looking to rent a 1 bedroom apartment. My husband and I would prefer a safe area that is vibrant . From google maps, I see Travis heights, east congress etc but a personal opinion would be appreciated. Can you name a few areas?

Thanks.
There was a really good report released today on median 1-bedroom housing prices in Central Austin neighborhoods

Since you say you want to live somewhere vibrant I definitely recommend South or East Austin. Those are the parts of the city that are keeping Austin weird!

Better Half & I bought a home in Central East Austin - I fly at least 2x/month for work and it is a breeze getting to and from the airport from there. We were renting in the Zilker neighborhood of South Austin before we bought our home which was easy as well. A quick hop down Lamar to 71 straight to the airport. There's lots of rentals available in that area

Hope that helps! Welcome to Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: