Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 08:13 AM

544 posts, read 1,667,625 times

Advertisements

Care to share your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 08:55 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
Simply put, I am EXTREMELY pleased that the City Council rejected this settlement! Honestly though, I didn't think it would happen but I'm glad that they didn't cave and hand over either amount of money - let it go to trial and let the facts come out. Hopefully the jurors will have sense enough to make the right decision, and not hand over money to the family of a criminal who is simply in it for the money.

The bottom line is that if Sanders wasn't leading a life of crime, hadn't been out in the middle of the night with a loaded gun (likely committing other crimes that resulted in the police being called in the first place), and if he hadn't tried to fight Officer Quintana to steal his gun, he wouldn't have been shot. Put the responsibility where it belongs - ON THE CRIMINAL.

I could go for hours on this topic!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Default suicide by cop = winning the lottery

I am glad they rejected the settlement. I don't like the message it would send, not that the APD was guilty, but rather that suicidal people/criminals could get paid to get shot and killed by the police. It fosters disrespect to the police, provides an incentive to commit crime. Don't have a lot going for you in life? Might as well go rob a store. What's the worst that could happen? If you get killed while doing so, you could "win the lottery"

I would be willing to bet there are hundreds of desperate people who wouldn't mind doing that if they knew their wife and kids could get up to a million dollars if they took one for the team. Sorry to be insensitive, but something like that could cascade.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:29 AM

22 posts, read 83,281 times
I'm glad the settlement was rejected, although I never thought the city council would dare refuse them the money. Sanders was a loser who robbed a person in a wheelchair the very day before the shooting and also had all sorts of other arrests on his record. He decided his own fate. I'm tired of seeing the families of these thugs on the news, screaming racism and wanting money from us tax payers. I'm also tired of the NAACP saying Austin is a racist city, that's ridiculous.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I was surprised they rejected it. I'm glad they did though.
Sanders was no angel and made his choices which path he was going to take in life.
A bad situation where someone dies is much more likely to happen to someone who lives on the wrong side of the law.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:08 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I agree with everything everyone above said. It would be a huge mistake to start rewarding the families of criminals.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:34 AM

544 posts, read 1,667,625 times
geez, what happened to innocent till proven guilty?

Old 07-30-2010, 10:46 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROY DUBOSE View Post
geez, what happened to innocent till proven guilty?
This is not a criminal trial, so there is no guilt vs. innocence. Officer Quintana was NOT indicted by the Grand Jury.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 7,830 times
I, too, am very pleased with city council's action on this issue. Was extremely disturbed that it was even a considerstion brought to the table and decided I had to get my opinion heard. Decided to email each council member and the mayor relating my concerns about public safety and related issues should they agree to the settlement. I found that the city's website makes it very easy to post an email to each of those persons and their staffs. Now I not only feel connected, but also have confidence in the mayor and city council that they can consider what is important and follow through accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: