Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:50 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I remember that being in the news some years ago, when the law was enacted. I think that it is rarely enforced, it is more for insurance reasons - "your car was stolen? with the keys in it? running? You idiot! We aren't paying your claim since you car was being 'used' illegally by you!"

Just a guess, not really sure that is the case .

Edit: oh, here is some site that references the code, I am too lazy to go to it and look:
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/police/do..._car_month.pdf
I too remember there was quite a bit of publicity about this back when it was enacted. As I recall the logic was that you are promoting car theft if you make it too easy for someone to steal your car.

I have not heard of anyone being fined for leaving their car running while in their driveway or going into a store, but I suppose it could happen if you admitted it when reporting your car was stolen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:37 PM

48 posts, read 144,488 times
I start my truck remotely using my keyfob to cool it off or heat it up. Can't steal my truck if there's not a key in it. They could sure try though, but the alarm would probably do the trick.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
You can get the Texas Drivers Handbook here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/interne...Forms/DL-7.pdf

Page 7-3 reads:

Quote:
UNATTENDED MOTOR VEHICLE:
It is unlawful for any person in charge of a motor vehicle to permit it to stand
unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, removing
the key from the ignition,
and effectively setting the brake, and when standing
on any grade, without turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the
roadway.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:26 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
I had a manual transmission car for a bit that had some type of short that would quickly drain the battery so I would often have to push start it. Until the problem was repaired I would often just leave it running while I ran into a store or some other relatively quick errand. I would use my spare key to lock the door however, so if someone wanted to steal it, they'd have to be somewhat obvious about it.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Who knew Texas had such a Nanny State law? I'm mortally embarrassed for us!

Old 08-18-2010, 04:00 PM
B&A

336 posts, read 252,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I had a manual transmission car for a bit that had some type of short that would quickly drain the battery so I would often have to push start it. Until the problem was repaired I would often just leave it running while I ran into a store or some other relatively quick errand. I would use my spare key to lock the door however, so if someone wanted to steal it, they'd have to be somewhat obvious about it.
Well see, that would make sense. Unfortunately there are some cops that are jerks and have nothing else better to do but look for people to give tickets to.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
There are two other factors at play, which are that engines should be turned off while a vehicle is at a gas pump, and that leaving a vehicle running increases air pollution.

For larger vehicles, like heavy trucks and business, it's against the law to leave them idling for more than 5 minutes.

I don't even leave my car unlocked when I run into a convenience store. One of my friends had a yoga mat stolen when she went in to pay for her gas. A yoga mat!

Old 06-12-2013, 06:02 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Wait, I had no idea. Why is this illegal, if it is?

Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 PM

319 posts, read 736,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Let's count the ways you are wrong:

1. No - you are wrong.

2. If you are idling for more than ten seconds, it is more efficient to shut your car down. If you are endangering a kid, take them with you. If you love them, then how will you feel if the car, with the keys and them in it, is stolen?

3. UPS trucks stop the engine every time they stop.

4. "I've probably made more money in the past three months that you have in a total of 10 years, so I like to have the "I do what I want" attitude, ya know? Because I can." You still think this went down as originally described? You certain none of this attitude seeped out while interacting with this cop?
1) It was obviously a joke, hence the smiley face...sorry if I offended, was just being light
2) You are wrong on the idling part, and you are being very melodramatic re: kids about pulling up to a shipping store, parking out front with the car in clear view (the described scenario) and walking in for 120 seconds. This is a ridculous moment, where we need a little common sense and judgment. What is your estimation of the number of cars that run in somewhere per day in Austin for 120 seconds without shutting off the vehicle. HUNDREDS.
3) Again, sorry, you are wrong. That may be their policy, I dont know...but they dont, not in our neighborhood. By the way, many of the police cars in our area leave their vehicles running when they go into Starbucks. I have seen it many, many many times.
4) The commentary about making more money was stupid, immature, and typical of a 20 yr old. Not sure how its relevant to any of this anyway. Obviously if there was more to the story here and the cop was being egged on, then its hard to comment. But I am commenting if things went down as described. I have a close family member in law enforcement. And I know from previous conversations with her that officers in plain clothes off duty by policy are only supposed to confront citizens if there is an active crime in progress. You will tell me that the car running constitutes that, but come on....not really. It would be like an off duty officer chastising someone for parking illegally in front of a grocery store. Actually, not even a good analogy because I think that many dont even know that this is a law.

I dont have a dog in the hunt here, other than I despise ridiculous statutes and ******* cops that like to bully others. Unfortunately I find that Austin has plenty of both.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:58 PM

319 posts, read 736,911 times
One last comment if we want to get into the details of the statute...which is §114.512.... it applies to over 5 minutes, and described as "heavy duty vehicles", not the common car for 2 minutes as described here. So the off duty police officer would be in the wrong to complain at a citizen unless they had specific knowledge that it had been over 5 minutes, it was a heavy duty vehicle, etc. Again, unless something else is going on here not described by OP honestly, this would be yet another example of a cop trying to be tough/bully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin