Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,154 times

Advertisements

I currently run 2 - 3 10K's per week. Can an active runner run year around in Texas? Weather channel reports Austin Temps for the past two days are 90+ even at 7:00 PM. That would make running a 10 K kinda difficult in my opinion.

How do people maintain year around running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 06:22 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
I do, as do lots of other Austinites. I run about 25-28 miles per week year-round, unless I'm training for a marathon or something where it will be more. I actually prefer running in the summertime, even during the afternoon on 100+ degrees days. Best time of year, as far as I'm concerned, but you have to build up to it.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:02 PM

679 posts, read 1,803,003 times
It's the sun that just drains the energy right out of you. I ran November - March and then I was done due to heat (admittedly, I am very sensitive). The rest of the year, I cycle and swim. If you can't handle the heat, pick another sport for the worst of the summer. It's good for you to switch things up!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:11 PM

743 posts, read 1,372,505 times
I do, but in the summer I start my runs by 6:30 am.

It's the only way I can handle the heat while running. I do know some native Texans who can run at 2 in the afternoon in the summer, but I just can't tolerate it.

If you go first thing in the morning, it's not that bad. The sun isn't shining bright on you, plus the temps are still around 80, so it's more bearable.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:15 PM

19 posts, read 27,931 times
My suggestion would be running very early in the morning just as the sun is coming up. And wearing something like Under-Armor, Coolmax, Dri-fit. And of course stay away from cotton clothing. That or take up something else. Maybe running on a treadmill.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:54 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
I agree with everyone else that if you time your runs when the sun isn't out or not very powerful (6:00am or 8:00pm), then your body can adjust to the heat. I also agree that a $2000 treadmill in your house or a gym membership for treadmill use during the summer is well worth it. You just need to mix in a couple treadmill runs inside each week.

You'll definitely sweat a lot more during your outside runs, but again, with the proper clothing and equipment, it's not that bad. For example, a Sweat GUTR helps me out a lot to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Sweat GUTR | The Ultimate Sweatband™ | Sports - Play Harder

Old 05-08-2011, 08:10 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
If you are not out really early, it can be difficult, though your body can adjust. I found it imperative to wear a HRM when I lived in TX because my HR would pop sky high in the heat. And that's coming from someone who is a Spinning instructor (i.e., I'm no wuss). In the months of late June - early Sept, I was typically in the gym doing more than my avg of Spin classes instead of running long distances. It's still doable to pop off 2-3 miles even the in the heat of the summer but I found the longer distances did more to harm my body than help. I also shifted to more a triathlon focus from March to July and then focused on running from about October to February (lots of great races in the area in those months).

Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Run everyday at noon here (2+ miles per day) as there's no other time to fit it into my schedule. I have no problems at all with it, because I view it as a necessity not a choice. Thus, I work my way into the heat. It's kind of like that saying "if you throw a frog into hot water it will jump out, but if you heat it up slowly it will stay in". I guess you could say I'm that frog that slowly had the heat turned up. I also do wind sprints at noon as well. Those are a bit harder but I do them outside my gym so I go inside for a little cool down.

I will say one thing, though. If you can manage running in the heat here, when you finally get to cooler weather (but still warm), you'll be zipping by everyone the first race you get as they won't be adjusted to the heat but you will actually find it cool!

Currently my big issue is some back pain, I pulled something when I did higher than my normal weights 2 weeks ago. I think I'll finally have to break down and go to a chiropractor Honestly, I've lost more time with various aches/pains than I have have lost because of heat waves. I tend to overtax my body and push it to the limit and my body says "Hold on!" - I'm just not young anymore I guess!

Old 05-23-2011, 05:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,154 times
Thank you all for the information. It was most helpful and informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: