Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 03:03 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,822 times

Advertisements

So we are moving our family to Austin and are starting our trip this Friday (no I'm not done packing).

We are going to look in either Steiner or Circle C area. The big, huge draw for us in Steiner is the water and easy access to it. If we chose Circle C, what are our options for getting to play in the lakes? Where do you go to do things like just hang out and swim or rent kayaks and the like? New communities have pools so that's not an issue but if we wanted water in a more natural state, we'd love to know how to get to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 04:48 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
From Circle C, I would go to Deep Eddy or Hamilton pool (or even Barton Springs Pool). If you are into a bit more of a hike, try the green belt and Barton Creek itself. Twin Falls, Cambells (sp?) hole, and several other places make great swimming.

For canoes/kayaks/sculls, Town lake is not terribly natural, but has some nice areas, and easy rentals for equipment.

The San Marcos River (in San Marcos - doh!) is great for canoeing and kayaking in a real stream, they even have a small kayak terrain park in town (the old rio vista dam). LAke Travis S. Shore is still very accessible (out hwy 71) for big time water and craft, and Lake Austin is accessible right off 360 for good water skiing.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:30 PM

260 posts, read 1,331,491 times
To get from Circle C to lake travis takes about 20 to 30 minutes. However the commute from Stiener to downtown can be pretty rough whereas from Circle C to downtown is not that bad. I think I would take consideration as to where you would be working in the equation. Both areas are very nice and Circle C is closer to town lake. It's all a matter of preference but I like both communities.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:22 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
So we are moving our family to Austin and are starting our trip this Friday (no I'm not done packing).

We are going to look in either Steiner or Circle C area. The big, huge draw for us in Steiner is the water and easy access to it. If we chose Circle C, what are our options for getting to play in the lakes? Where do you go to do things like just hang out and swim or rent kayaks and the like? New communities have pools so that's not an issue but if we wanted water in a more natural state, we'd love to know how to get to it.
Well I would like to chime in here, oh wait, I have to do something real quick...

OK, I am back, I just went down to Lake Austin, took about 8 minutes to get to the Private Docks on Lake Austin, or, I could have gone the other direction on N. Quinlan Park and spent about 15 mintues to Hippy Hollow, or about 18 minutes to Windy Point. Get a baby sitter for Hippy Hollow and leave the little ones at home.

But seriously, I think you are already making your decision. Good luck, and welcome to Austin!

Old 06-27-2007, 03:58 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,822 times
LOL CalitoSteiner.

No baby sitter here. I'm not old enough to go to hippie hollow!

Well we are still debating and we may even add Belterra or Highpointe to the mix. Since hubby will work from home, our main considerations are the home itself as well as school district. Then the water comes next. It would be great if we didn't have to drive too far for places for our kids to swim.

Although...considering the weather lately, a nice local pool would probably be more appropriate!

18 inches is a lot at once. So. Have the water companies considered their prices or are they going to keep them high because it takes more effort to purify rain water? Hmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: