Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:10 AM

515 posts, read 1,396,672 times

Advertisements

We really like the Iron Works a lot, but still our favorites are the Salt Lick and Rudy's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
This is the nearest BBQ to my house - aside from a trailer and another place only open 3 days a week - so I go there pretty often on the way home from work.

I've had the pork loin and it was too dry, but the chicken is pretty good with a smoky tangy flavor. Have heard the beef ribs are good but haven't tried them yet.

The prices actually aren't too bad: $6.25 for a Ham plate and $7.45 for a chicken one.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:51 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,128 times
Side question...are BBQ ribs considered bona-fide "Soul Food"? I grew up, as I mentioned, close enough to a black area to partake of the local BBQ-hut places, and we never had em in the white areas growing up, just the typical fast food and such.....I have a strong hunch it WAS a dish that was traditionally made and cooked in the black communities down south, and sort of morphed into the white areas over time, as one part, like the Blues, amongst many, that passed over into the white culture...

Most others have not....all of the following are still considered very much african-american or southern regional dishes, and have not passed over yet....the south, being smack IN that same homeland, is simply more likely to have dishes pass over than the north, though we certainly had some mighty fine ribhouses and restaurants all over Chicago

These stinkers actually claimed the domain "ribs"...wow.......prob the most famous ribhouse in chicago...

Carson's BBQ Ribs Sauce BBQ Barbecue, Barbeque Chicago Baby, Back Ribs Father's Day Gift Mother's Day Gift Birthday Gift Christmas Present

and their menu...big on the infamous baby back variety, amonst the full-fledged gargantuan slabs..

http://www.ribs.com/downloads/DiningRoomMenu.pdf

So, the following are more bona-fide black southern dishes, though some occasionally have passed over into the larger community as a whole...many never will....don't think tubs of Chitterlings(pig entrails), ham hocks(pig legs), Okra(Paula Deen is popularlizing this, so prob will soon pass), or Black-eyed Peas will ever pass....

Click on the skillet icons for interesting, tasty recipes for the same....be creative/adventurous, and try some of em out!

SKILLET CORNBREAD
CORN PUDDING
GRITS
DIRTY RICE
BLACK EYED PEAS
CHITLINS AND MAW
MEETING HOUSE POTATO SALAD
SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS
COLLARD GREENS WITH MEAT
MUSTARD GREENS AND HAM HOCKS
BARBECUED BEEF SHORT RIBS
COLE SLAW
FRIED CABBAGE AND BACON
FRIED PORK CHOPS
RED BEANS AND RICE
HAM SALAD
BISCUITS
BARBECUED PIGS FEET
TURKEY WINGS AND GRAVY
BOILED STRING BEANS WITH HAM
COUNTRY FRIED OKRA
CANDIED YAMS
COLLARD GREENS WITH HAM HOCKS
BUTTER BEANS WITH HAMBONES AND OKRA
GLAZED SMOKED HAM
STEAMED CABBAGE WITH BUTTER
BLACK EYED PEAS WITH HAM
POTATO SALAD
SOUTHERN SPARERIBS
7-UP CAKE
SHORT RIBS IN GRAVY
BEAUREGARD YAM PIE
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN - Best recipe I've come across!
FRIED CHICKEN-1
FRIED CHICKEN-2
FRIED CHICKEN-3
FRIED CHICKEN-4
TENDER BEEF TONGUE

SPICED BEEF TONGUE

TONGUE ESPAGNOLE

Need I mention, the venerable Colonel Sanders made hay with the Southern Friend Chicken thing..mmmmm, finger lickin' good, as he would say in the old commercials!

Last edited by inthecut; 08-30-2010 at 08:07 AM..

Old 08-31-2010, 12:04 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
Inthecut: I'm surprised you have never had BBQ from Iron Works! The first time I ever ate BBQ in Texas was at The Iron Works, back in 2000. It was as good then as it is today.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Inthecut: I'm surprised you have never had BBQ from Iron Works! The first time I ever ate BBQ in Texas was at The Iron Works, back in 2000. It was as good then as it is today.
hey, did you ever sell your house and move to Austin?..and nahhh, I never HAD BBQ from the "works"....that is the one part of town I dont hang, being around the convention center and all....sort of off the grid, in a ceasar chavez way....I think the only time I go near there is when they hold those Symposiums at the convention center for SXSW.....just a little off the grid for INTHECUT....sorry for speaking in the third person....

When I was a teen, back in the day(way back), I used to go to Georges, a south side eatery in a black suburb of chicago, so I know what good ribs are supposed to taste like.....never cared for the whole slab thing...could lose major dental work in that thing....I just nibble at the tips(sorry if that sounds obscene, its 1:49 in the morning)......

OK, better get some sleep....will try the iron works one day soon!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
hey, did you ever sell your house and move to Austin?..
No...still living in the 'Burgh. I tried for 2 years to sell my house and NOTHING! I lowered the price 3 different times. I was finally as low as I could go and then took it off the market. I am going to try again in the Spring to sell. When it does, believe me...I will make an announcement here on the Austin forum to LOOK OUT---TXGirl@Heart is moving on down!!!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
No...still living in the 'Burgh. I tried for 2 years to sell my house and NOTHING! I lowered the price 3 different times. I was finally as low as I could go and then took it off the market. I am going to try again in the Spring to sell. When it does, believe me...I will make an announcement here on the Austin forum to LOOK OUT---TXGirl@Heart is moving on down!!!
If I win the lotto, i promise to buy your house...seriously....what would you recommend I play? Pick 4? Quick Pick? Mega?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
If I win the lotto, i promise to buy your house...seriously....what would you recommend I play? Pick 4? Quick Pick? Mega?
Mega, I think!!
Spoiler
Dear Lord, please let Inthecut win the mega-millions so he can buy my house and I can move to Austin!

Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Mega, I think!!
Spoiler
Dear Lord, please let Inthecut win the mega-millions so he can buy my house and I can move to Austin!
Yeah, I would have to lean towards Mega myself.....when I hold that giant check on TV, I will def mention the buying of your house as the first thing I will do with the money! That and a years worth of BBQ ribs at any ribhouse in Austin!...

Old 09-02-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I would have to lean towards Mega myself.....when I hold that giant check on TV, I will def mention the buying of your house as the first thing I will do with the money! That and a years worth of BBQ ribs at any ribhouse in Austin!...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin