Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:21 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,370 times

Advertisements

My God, I have to check this place out..how have I not heard of it? I could take a bit out of the menu itself, it looks so good!

http://www.ironworksbbq.com/media/Iron-Works-Menu.pdf

They cook anything you bring yourself, if you'd like, as well....It's right off Ceasar Chevez, on south Red River......

Forget the caloric intake crap, and head over there!....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 12:27 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,259 times
i was just there a few days ago.... i got so hungry that once i thought of Iron Works I didn't waste any time. I didn't even care that I went alone. I had the sampler..... it's so good. I'm taking my parents there for my dad's birthday.... he loves bbq!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:53 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,838 times
Their are much better places at much lower prices. But if you want to pay Convention Center prices for decent BBQ, go for it.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:04 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
Their are much better places at much lower prices. But if you want to pay Convention Center prices for decent BBQ, go for it.
it is kinda pricy but it's still pretty good. ruby's is also good but I think it's even pricier. not too familiar with stubb's or rudy's to comment on.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:17 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,987 times
Ironworks is still my fave BBQ place. The ambiance is incredible. And I love their BBQ sauce, too--not too sweet, not too salty. I might have to head over there tomorrow for some ribs!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:52 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
A better question might be, "who hasn't?"

Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Yes. Quite nice BBQ for where it is. Down in that general area, I'd rather go to House Park BBQ (other side of downtown, on 12th), but we do go there sometimes with out of town guests.

(She says, still licking her greasy lips because her husband headed out this morning to a tiny BBQ joint we know of in a small nearby town where you can only get BBQ on Saturday or Sunday and you have to go early before they're sold out, so he bought a couple of pounds of brisket and we shared one slice for breakfast before packing the rest away for lunch or the freezer. MAN, that was good!)

Old 08-29-2010, 10:00 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes. Quite nice BBQ for where it is. Down in that general area, I'd rather go to House Park BBQ (other side of downtown, on 12th), but we do go there sometimes with out of town guests.

(She says, still licking her greasy lips because her husband headed out this morning to a tiny BBQ joint we know of in a small nearby town where you can only get BBQ on Saturday or Sunday and you have to go early before they're sold out, so he bought a couple of pounds of brisket and we shared one slice for breakfast before packing the rest away for lunch or the freezer. MAN, that was good!)
Very cool that you had BBQ slabs for breakfast, THL...only a true Texan can do that...My old home town had great ones as well..I grew up in a little suburb just south of Chicago right next to a black suburb named Harvey...back in the 70's, Harvey had two great rib houses, one was Georges', and we would get rib tips there quite often...just a wonderfully packed bag of them, so thick you would just ruin your dentalwork biting in.
George would heat up his mesquite pit about 3-4 hours before he started cooking, and you knew he was ready for business when you saw the smoke billowing out full-bore....really nice little character from Mississippi, learned the craft from his grandfather, and not a soul knew any secrets per preperation...in those days they didn't sell sauces as a sideline, so you had no idea what went into even THAT, let along any cooking secrets...all you could do is see that billowing smoke, smell it a block away, and chomp on it.....

Per Iron Works being expensive, I would say a good slab of ribs, even tips, isn't cheap anywhere if its good and established....it is a very long process to cook BBQ ribs, and the meat itself is not cheap, let alone the prep and sauces and such....I think you get what you pay for...the rent is prob a little higher in that convention area as well...I saw the menu prices and it wasn't THAT much higher than the little joints squirrel away all over town....sounds like a fun, rowdy-ish roadhouse atmosphere in there as well....

And what a great name!

Could it be because of the moniker Mesquite wood has in some parts of Texas?

Re a wikipedia entry:

Mesquite wood is hard, allowing it to be used for furniture and implements. Wood from Prosopis juliflora and Prosopis glandulosa is used for decorative woodworking and woodturning. It is highly desirable due to its dimensional stability after being fully cured. The hard, dense lumber is also sold as "Texas Ironwood" and is rather harsh on chain saws and other tools.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:12 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Nice theory, but it's named that because the building it's in used to be an ornamental iron works shop. (I thought that was the case, had to go to their website to confirm my memory.)

Old 08-29-2010, 11:36 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
Ironworks used to be a died and gone to heaven experience. Now for me at least it's an, meh...if I get some ok, if not, well no biggie. I would rather head out to Driftwood for Saltlick vs. Ironworks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin