Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:06 AM

515 posts, read 1,397,259 times

Advertisements

I always find great grits when traveling in the south, but anyone know of a place in Austin that makes good grits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 11:54 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerfan View Post
I always find great grits when traveling in the south, but anyone know of a place in Austin that makes good grits?
I have never found great grits anywhere other than a home kitchen. I am sorry. Most restaurants I have been too make those instant grits and add too much water. I have nothing against instant grits, if that's the only thing your time and budget allow for. But if you want REAL grits, and GREAT grits, and possibly the best grits of all CHEESY grits, then you should just make them at home. The bonus with that is that you don't have to wait to eat them only when you are travelling.

PS, if you can't find hominy grits wherever you happen to live, you could always just get cornmeal grits. Although I, quite properly, call cornmeal grits "polenta". That is what they are after all. They are just as good though. And cornmeal grits is not cornmeal. Cornmeal, that you buy in a bag like flour, is much more finely ground and is good for making cornbread. Cornmeal grits are less finely ground. The two are, unfortunately, not interchangeable.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:03 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Lots of different and subtle variations on grits so it really depends on "what you grew up with". That said, sometimes Whole Foods downtown has cheese grits and they are ok. Hoovers (I've only been to the one off of 183/Anderson Mill) also has reasonable grits. Like JB80 says, I've never come across anything better than the grits I make at home (and my kids would second that), but I'd be shocked if I came across anything remotely like them in a restaurant.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM

515 posts, read 1,397,259 times
I forgot about Hoovers, will give it a try. Unfortunatly a lot of restaurants do make the instant grits (yuck). I actually found some wonderful grits at a restaurant near San Jose once, some of the best I have ever had. Would kill for their recipe, but they wouldn't share.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,030 times
I don't know of any good places, but I do know of one place to avoid... The Driskill Hotel's 1886 Cafe's idea of cheesy grits is tasteless grits topped with shredded cheddar cheese.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:26 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,058,220 times
The Cracker Barrel has good grits. Well, I think so!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
Hoovers is the best I've tasted, yet still only 'okay'. Generally I've found that restaurant grits are virtually tasteless.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:40 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Hoovers is the best I've tasted, yet still only 'okay'. Generally I've found that restaurant grits are virtually tasteless.
Even Jim's grits are OK; but, I've always felt that plain grits(no cheese) were simply a vehicle for salt and butter. No salt and butter==why bother? Now baked cheese grits...NOW we're talkin'!

Old 09-01-2010, 01:17 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Even Jim's grits are OK; but, I've always felt that plain grits(no cheese) were simply a vehicle for salt and butter. No salt and butter==why bother? Now baked cheese grits...NOW we're talkin'!
I've never had baked, but I will fry any leftover grits on occasion, yum yum.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
Oh I'm with you, CoachRick! The more stuff on them, the better....unfortunately, restaurants don't seem to think that way! Do you have a recipe for baked cheese grits? If so, send it my way!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: