Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 06:39 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times

Advertisements

Ah yes, once again the city of Austin hosts an incredible venue where 500 of the top least influential bands of the 21st century congragate and give a great time to all. Actually, that isn't totally true. There are a few bands that show up briefly that most people have actually heard of. Anyways, it's a jolly good show for all. The city loves it best, because it gets big time profits/revenue into the overall "city of Austin rich people fund". Nothing makes the city of Austin happier than having thousands of people from other locations contribute into this "wonderful fund!!"

I would expect some of this revenue to allow for more downtown living, extension of 2nd street shopping, improvements to the downtow utilities...who knows, maybe even improvement to the zilker park trail (austin's only bike trail longer than 2 miles)

Someone will have to let me know how it turns out because I wouldn't go within 10 miles of downtown this weekend if you paid me. (or most weekends for that matter)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 08:00 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Ah yes, once again the city of Austin hosts an incredible venue where 500 of the top least influential bands of the 21st century congragate and give a great time to all. Actually, that isn't totally true. There are a few bands that show up briefly that most people have actually heard of. Anyways, it's a jolly good show for all. The city loves it best, because it gets big time profits/revenue into the overall "city of Austin rich people fund". Nothing makes the city of Austin happier than having thousands of people from other locations contribute into this "wonderful fund!!"

I would expect some of this revenue to allow for more downtown living, extension of 2nd street shopping, improvements to the downtow utilities...who knows, maybe even improvement to the zilker park trail (austin's only bike trail longer than 2 miles)

Someone will have to let me know how it turns out because I wouldn't go within 10 miles of downtown this weekend if you paid me. (or most weekends for that matter)
What a grinch you are..

Old 10-08-2010, 08:25 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,268 times
eesptein, didn't you love it (just a few days ago), you were just lurking and (for the most part) people were having productive discussions. Please don't tell me you've fallen out of "forum rehab"...

Old 10-08-2010, 10:02 AM

Never liked ACL much. Just a bunch and noise that no one really needs, you know? The City of Austin are the real winners here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
eesptein, didn't you love it (just a few days ago), you were just lurking and (for the most part) people were having productive discussions. Please don't tell me you've fallen out of "forum rehab"...

Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,756 times
I can't believe the city doesn't see it your way and just shut down all of their events. Keep the man happy that doesn't leave his house!

Old 10-08-2010, 12:18 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
eepstein - don't lie. Have you ever been to ACL? Or is the crowd not high end enough for you? Do you ever see any live music in Austin?

I don't like the lineup this year as much as prior years. I will not pay much to see an old rerun like the Eagles. But there has been some great music at ACL over the years and the event is very well run. Even last year in the rain and mud, I managed to have a very good time.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:34 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Looks like the weather is going to cooperate this year. No rain, not too hot.

I was running along the lake yesterday evening, listening to the sound checks and watching all the setup activity.. seems bigger than I remember it last year.

If you want to check it out without tickets... it is possible to listen from the trail, which always remains open. The tough part is 1) finding parking nearby (so you have to park somewhere else and bike/walk a long distance on the trail)... and 2) finding the right spot to hear *just one* stage (the sound muddles between stages in a lot of areas outside the venue).

Of course, getting in your canoe or kayak and listening from the lake is also doable. Lots of people kicking back listening to the music that way... gets a little crowded, but not nearly as bad as on 4th of July.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:51 PM

308 posts, read 1,468,145 times
I was running along the lake last week, but it is cold in the evening now

Just came back, and there are so many people out there. A lot of people selling or buying ACL tickets. No idea how much is it.

Is there anyway to sneak in from the hiking/biking trail?
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Looks like the weather is going to cooperate this year. No rain, not too hot.

I was running along the lake yesterday evening, listening to the sound checks and watching all the setup activity.. seems bigger than I remember it last year.

If you want to check it out without tickets... it is possible to listen from the trail, which always remains open. The tough part is 1) finding parking nearby (so you have to park somewhere else and bike/walk a long distance on the trail)... and 2) finding the right spot to hear *just one* stage (the sound muddles between stages in a lot of areas outside the venue).

Of course, getting in your canoe or kayak and listening from the lake is also doable. Lots of people kicking back listening to the music that way... gets a little crowded, but not nearly as bad as on 4th of July.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:03 PM

Many years ago I did the 6th street scene when I first moved to Austin and actually believed some of the media hype. Was not impressed in the least. I spend most of my time with my buddies up in Dallas along Mckinney street or Lodo in Denver (when I visit a few times per year) when im interested in true high end live music acts. Not just fly by night little people who may or may not be going anywhere. Although im in downtown Austin regularly for work related reasons, I haven't been downtown for pleasure in probably 5 years. ACL isn't for me or my wife. It's basically just a huge 6th street gathering, but people come from all over the state and country rather than just UT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
eepstein - don't lie. Have you ever been to ACL? Or is the crowd not high end enough for you? Do you ever see any live music in Austin?

I don't like the lineup this year as much as prior years. I will not pay much to see an old rerun like the Eagles. But there has been some great music at ACL over the years and the event is very well run. Even last year in the rain and mud, I managed to have a very good time.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:19 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
Is there anyway to sneak in from the hiking/biking trail?
I'm sure there is, probably best to try when it's really busy

I'll just hang out outside or on the lake... if I want some music, I'll go to a club where the beer is cheaper. There are always some good acts playing when one of the festivals (ACL, SXSW) is in town. I guess they want to pick up on the residual exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin