Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:46 PM

15 posts, read 30,243 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend just accepted a position at Samsung in Austin. He starts the 25th of October, so we have about two weeks to move from Knoxville, TN to Austin.

We have a 6 year old and a large lab retriever. We are looking to rent a 2 bed 2 bath (3 bed if possible) apartment hopefully on the north or northeast side of town as that would make his commute to and from work better. He was also told by the HR people at Samsung that this would be a good area for a middle class white couple with kids (as in we would feel safe and comfortable. I haven't any issue with other races or classes, but unfortunately I have found that it is easier to settle into a new city when you are near those who you are similar to).

So did Samsung lead us in the right direction? I have done some looking on apartment.com and can find plenty in those areas that fit out budget and needs, which are as follows:

2 (or 3) bedrooms
1.5 or 2 bath
accepts large dogs
w/d hookups (we have our own)
family friendly
in the best school district possible for the budget
budget of $1000 or less per month

I appreciate any help from the Austin natives or those that have moved there recently. I will actually come back to this thread, so if you need any other info, just ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 06:36 PM

732 posts, read 2,127,073 times
It is trueish for far NE Austin. If you want to say close to Samsung check out Round Rock.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:21 PM

54 posts, read 182,732 times
I highly recommend the Park at Brushy Creek Apartments. The Park at Brushy Creek Apartments: Austin Texas Apartments: Resort Style Apartments

It has an Austin address, but is basically right on the border of Round Rock, and it's West of I-35. The elementary school that our children go (Great Oaks Elementary) to is exemplary and so is the middle school. (Texas Education Association rates schools from Exemplary, Recognized, Academically Acceptable, down to Academically Unacceptaable)

We moved here at the end of last school year and have been very impressed with how well the kids fit into school from day one. From the office staff to the teachers and students, they made our whole family feel welcome.

The apartment complex's staff is really friendly here and has monthly events such as a brunch, poker night, movie night, to pool parties. It's a pet friendly community and is very safe and convenient to anything you need from healthcare to the vet, to the grocery stores.

You can see the floor plans on their website listed above. There are lots of 2 bedrooms with 2 baths for 800-900 a month (their specials going on right now). Good luck in your search!

Old 10-17-2010, 01:44 PM

Hey! We did find a complex that suits all of our needs, and is only a few miles from work.

Thanks for the help of those that gave it!

Wyndhaven at Wells Branch Apartment Homes in Austin, TX | Cypress Bay Apartments

Old 10-17-2010, 05:04 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,064,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbrng View Post
I haven't any issue with other races or classes, but unfortunately I have found that it is easier to settle into a new city when you are near those who you are similar to).
Reading this sentence in 2010 makes me a little sad. For accuracy's sake, you really should change it to read, "...I have found that it is easier to settle into a new city when I am near those that I am similar to" as this isn't necessarily some universal truth that applies to all of us.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:06 PM

When I have moved into areas where people look, sound, act, etc differently than I do, I have found that they judge me and I am not accepted as quickly as I am when I move into an area where people are more similar to me.

So yes, it is purposely a generalized statement... towards others that judge the weird white girl with tattoos and piercings that just moved into their neighborhood.

It is sad that I have discovered this to be true. Just because you haven't found it to be does not discount my experiences.

I sincerely appreciate your assumption that it is I that is not accepting, though. Thanks.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbrng View Post
When I have moved into areas where people look, sound, act, etc differently than I do, I have found that they judge me and I am not accepted as quickly as I am when I move into an area where people are more similar to me.

So yes, it is purposely a generalized statement... towards others that judge the weird white girl with tattoos and piercings that just moved into their neighborhood.

It is sad that I have discovered this to be true. Just because you haven't found it to be does not discount my experiences.

I sincerely appreciate your assumption that it is I that is not accepting, though. Thanks.
No, it just sounds racist when you write "I haven't any issue with other races or classes, but unfortunately I have found that it is easier to settle into a new city when you are near those who you are similar to)." There is no other way to put it. And it makes me sad to hear that someone in an HR department at a big corporation is directing people to "white" neighborhoods.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:03 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,039,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Reading this sentence in 2010 makes me a little sad. For accuracy's sake, you really should change it to read, "...I have found that it is easier to settle into a new city when I am near those that I am similar to" as this isn't necessarily some universal truth that applies to all of us.
...it made me sad too! Actually ruined my day! Just shows how hypersensitive I am to take something somone I dont know and never will meet types on an internet fourm to heart, you know?

Especially when I dont even know 95% of the people who live within 5 blocks of my home..! And when someone in real LIFE says something wrong/off, by, I really get sad...I can even cry for weeks......

Old 10-17-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
...it made me sad too! Actually ruined my day! Just shows how hypersensitive I am to take something somone I dont know and never will meet types on an internet fourm to heart, you know?

Especially when I dont even know 95% of the people who live within 5 blocks of my home..! And when someone in real LIFE says something wrong/off, by, I really get sad...I can even cry for weeks......
How is being frustrated that in 2010 people are still seeking out "white" neighborhoods hypersensitive?

It didn't ruin my day, but it certainly gives fodder to people who in other threads are claiming that we live in a racist society. Maybe my day isn't ruined because I know most of the people living in my neighborhood.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:28 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,039,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
How is being frustrated that in 2010 people are still seeking out "white" neighborhoods hypersensitive?

It didn't ruin my day, but it certainly gives fodder to people who in other threads are claiming that we live in a racist society. Maybe my day isn't ruined because I know most of the people living in my neighborhood.
Everyone is racist/tribal to some extent..not a soul can be 100% open-minded on that....be it ethnic group, regional group, class, and/or racial..
If not, we would be good living anywhere in any metro..obviously, we make choices as to where we live in metros..the rule of thumb is racist, implied or not, reverse or not....and thats reality....we don't say it, but most of the anglo relocatees here are looking for and are moving TO predominantly anglo areas.....not ALL, but most...and prob a huge % of those with kids.....and if they are not looking for the same they end up moving to them regardless...AND majority anglo areas are the ones they have in mind when they relocate here and make board requests..again, not all by any means, but most...and when I say majority anglo, just over 50% anglo, which can safely be assumed that practically ALL the anglo reolcatees have moved to....I would say that actually the average anglo % of the areas anglos are relocating here is at least 70%, if not higher..
if not, then what % IS your area/school distirct, if you have any contention about the same?

For anyone's info, I personally live in a 65% black area in east austin...
All my neighbors on my block are either black or hispanic besides myself, and I'm anglo/caucasian..and can hear Tejano music on one side of my house, and rap/R & B on the other, and party with both.....so no racism here by any means, just calling it for what it is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin