Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 06:30 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times

Advertisements

That's cool It's a great but very easy recipe and does have a sauce with it to put your tacos in if you want. Chico's is the restaurant they credit in the book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
That's cool It's a great but very easy recipe and does have a sauce with it to put your tacos in if you want. Chico's is the restaurant they credit in the book.
Thanks, you are right.. Chicos is the restaurant in El Paso that everyone talks about. Chucos was the name the Screaming Goat restaurant used initially, but I think they got sued or something.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:40 AM

10 posts, read 14,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robino2001 View Post
I can't believe no one's said it yet.... Jack-in-the-box... DUH!!! 2 tacos and a colon cleanse for $1!

Actually it does kinda sound like JITB tacos
That's actually the response I got when I first started asking around...shocking! I guess they can be compared to JITB but when they are done right, they are not really greasy, have no sauce or hot, limp lettuce on the inside or that weird "cheese" that is in there...plus no raging stomach ache afterward! Just yummy shredded beef and fresh lettuce, tomato and shredded cheese can be added as well after they've been cooked. Of course, an amazing salsa works great too!

Old 10-25-2010, 08:43 AM

322 posts, read 847,183 times
I'm trying to picture these taco's in my head. Are they kind of like taquito's, but in taco form?

Old 10-25-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
For "cheese crisps" can't you just order a tostada without beans? Seems like it would be pretty much the same thing.
No, for cheese crisps it's actually a flour tortilla made crispy first and then baked with the cheese on it...I'm not a huge fan of tostadas.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxmor View Post
I'm trying to picture these taco's in my head. Are they kind of like taquito's, but in taco form?
Yes, similar to taquitos or rolled tacos but in taco form--also the texture is not quite as crispy or hard and if done right, the meat is super tender and packed in there!

Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 AM

322 posts, read 847,183 times
Sounds delicious! How do they keep the meat in the taco whilst frying them? Are they deep fried?

Old 10-25-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxmor View Post
Sounds delicious! How do they keep the meat in the taco whilst frying them? Are they deep fried?
I think there is an actual utensil they use that helps the taco keep its shape during the frying process...the top of the shell kind of seals itself off and the meat stays really moist...its amazing!

Old 10-27-2010, 12:14 PM

185 posts, read 463,704 times
you guys crack me up...haaahaaaa these fancy unheard of tacos are just corn tortillas(regular ones) then you fry them really quickly, take em out at then put the meat,very finely chopped meat, you do several at once para un orden de tacos reynosa, bien ricos, pero lot of grease, so don't eat em everyday like mexicans do....diabetes flourishes among us for a reason eh.. and usually served with usually finely chopped onions (crudos) y finely chopped cilantro....ta bueno? they are served all along the frontier, the border between usa y mex....usually called tacos de reynosa, or reynosa style.....them other miss cheese crisps or whatever is someones unique naming of a variation of tostadas....and there are many..............my wife makes em all the time..............oh otro cosa,,,,carne asada just means meat cooked on the grill....grill is an asador y asadon.....and carne guisada just means meat stewed...like with the strange sauce u gringos were talking about.....there are several variations just like when americans cook meat.....like sausage and gravy is a type of carne guisada.......ok i'm going to taco bell to eat mexican food..........whatever u do, dont take a poblano pepper and sit it on the fire till it turns black, then set them inside a plastic bag for awhile....take em out and peel off the skin....stuff them with whatever kind of meat, cheese, yes rice maybe refried beans...then close the whole where u stuffed em......then bread them the same way u might do chicken fried steak....kinda hard to make the mixture stick.....then fry them......pretty good chile rellenos right there....similar to the us traditional stuffed peppers that are usually baked....no special utensils needed trust me on that....just your hands and a stick if u really want them mexicannyyy

Old 10-27-2010, 04:23 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Alrighty, Mr. Solis...STILL looking for some tasty carnitas(found one good place and still looking for crispy carnitas). This gringo has a hankerin' for some carnitas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin