Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 01:14 PM

172 posts, read 516,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Great examples.

Honestly, I'd rather have $90 million in pedestrian boardwalks, bike trails, and improved sidewalks than 900 cheaply built homes ANYDAY.
You apparently suffer from poor reading comprehension skills.

My (obvious) point was that the amount of human labor and materials needed to do the small projects in PROP1 come nowhere near to the human labor and materials needed to make a huge number of things of the same cost. This implies that we are FAR overpaying for those improvements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:34 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCityATX View Post
You apparently suffer from poor reading comprehension skills.

OR

He used your bad example and turned it around on you saying that he understood money was being spent, but for once, he was happy with what it was being spent on. He is simply disagreeing with you.

And he did it without insulting your intelligence.

To bad you can't say the same.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 11-03-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 01:54 PM

How can an example that relates relative labor amounts be 'bad' unless the actual estimates are wrong? Obviously the point was not that we should instead spend that money to make those houses, trucks, or apples.

Misreading a statement (whether intentional or accidental) and then arguing a different point is an argumentative fallacy ('straw man').

ME: I think we are getting ripped off, clearly those projects cost way more than they should
HIM: I hate trucks and like parks

I don't mind him disagreeing, but he needs to disagree with what was said not some made up meaning.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:58 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCityATX View Post
How can an example that relates relative labor amounts be 'bad' unless the actual estimates are wrong? Obviously the point was not that we should instead spend that money to make those houses, trucks, or apples.

Misreading a statement (whether intentional or accidental) and then arguing a different point is an argumentative fallacy ('straw man').

ME: I think we are getting ripped off, clearly those projects cost way more than they should
HIM: I hate trucks and like parks

I don't mind him disagreeing, but he needs to disagree with what was said not some made up meaning.
Then you should have said that originally and not gone with "boy, you must be stupid".

Old 11-03-2010, 02:09 PM

Ok, I could have been nicer, but I read his tone as self-aggrandizing rhetoric (look at how amazing I am, I love trees and puppies while you love tract-homes and polluting trucks) which is extremely irritating when his straw-man response had nothing to do with my point.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:14 PM

474 posts, read 905,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERiv View Post
He won by 8% in a Republican wave year. You really think that sends any message other than "keep up the good work, Lloyd!"?

Anti-Texas? Seriously??? Goodness gracious.

Worry about your own congressperson. And let us "worry" about ours. Thanks.
When Doggett ties up federal education grants for the entire state of Texas - I care very much about what he does. His Texas-only rider to the education grant was really an anti-Perry move. I don't doubt for a second that Donna Campbell would have been a better representative.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:23 PM

I agree, no matter who you prefer, that rider was purely political and did nothing for Texas.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:00 PM

103 posts, read 322,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERiv View Post
He won by 8% in a Republican wave year. You really think that sends any message other than "keep up the good work, Lloyd!"?

Anti-Texas? Seriously??? Goodness gracious.

Worry about your own congressperson. And let us "worry" about ours. Thanks.
If you look at the county voting results, Doggett lost in every one except for Travis County. Wonder how he'll fair if/when the lines are redrawn. Those of us not in Travis County have our say, but don't get any results as it stands now.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:10 PM

246 posts, read 857,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor_Mom View Post
Actually, my husband's paycheck will help foot the bill. He (fortunately?) works for the City & like every one else has had his pay frozen for the past three years while we've watched our personal budget shrink due to the rising cost of living (food, insurance premiums, etc). Now the City is going to have to pay for this bond with out raising taxes? Uh huh, yeah ... right. Where do y'all think that money is going to come from?
A lot of the city's firefighting equipment is reaching the federally mandated retirement age... where's the money going to pay for it? >>> A $90 mil boondoggle.
The city's police dept needs to modernized ... where's the money going to pay for it? >>> A $90 mil waste of taxpayers hard earned money.

I just think there are better ways to spend $90 million ...
The money to pay for Prop 1 comes from property taxes. Paying back the bonds is expected to be possible within the current tax rate (though not guaranteed).

Old 11-03-2010, 04:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
but apparently Governor Perry loves SE Travis county, that's why he had his victory party over here.
No, they just gave him a bigger kick-back of the proceeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin