Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Back from trip from Austin, will be relocating from Los Angeles, Lakeway, Cedar Park, Georgetown areas very nice, nice hot weather, excellent restaurants

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 12:55 AM

118 posts, read 561,668 times

Advertisements

Well, we are back from our trip to Austin to check things out. Long story short: We are definitely going to relocate! (from Los Angeles-SF Valley)

We were looking for an older house (c. 1960's or 70's) on a lot of at least an acre, and within about a 30 minute or less commute from the Arboretum area (for my SO's job). We did a lot of research online first, and have been working with a local real estate agent. Based on what we are looking for, we narrowed it down to Georgetown, Leander, Cedar Park, or Round Rock. We looked at several homes for sale, most of them ended up to be in Georgetown. One of them we liked so much, that when we got home we decided to make an offer! We are still waiting to hear the seller's response. I hate this waiting part!

So we spent a good portion of our time driving around the Georgetown and Cedar Park areas. We also drove around Lakeway and spent a bit of time in downtown Austin on Sunday afternoon.

That last part was probably a timing error, because the downtown area was completely dead! We had hoped to get brunch at a kewl restaurant, but almost every place was closed, and it didn't seem like there were very many restaurants in the first place. I was expecting something more like downtown Santa Barbara or the Santa Monica Promenade, so that was a disappointment. Maybe we weren't in quite the right spot, I don't know.

Lakeway was very nice and scenic, and out of the areas we saw, reminded me the most of SoCal. It was hilly enough out there to get some nice views, and many of the homes we drove past looked well taken care of, with attractive and manicured landscaping. But the lots out there seemed to be too small, and my SO though the commute to his job would be too long.

The other areas we drove around were rather flat for the most part, and some parts were alarmingly rural. I had bad flashbacks of growing up in boondocks Indiana, but my SO didn't seem to mind. Maybe I'm contradicting myself here... I didn't like the rural feel, but I want a house on acreage so we don't have to be on top of neighbors anymore. The house we made the offer on is a good mix because it's secluded on a HUGE lot, yet still close to a main road and only a few minutes from stores in Georgetown.

We visited a couple who relocated from LA about six months ago. They bought a new house in Cedar Park, the Brushy Creek area, I believe. They have one kid, and are very happy with their house and subdivision. New subdivisions are not really our cup of tea, but theirs wasn't bad. At least the homes weren't totally cookie-cutter, there was some variety. And the developer didn't cut down all the trees, which helps a lot!

The weather was HOT, as advertised. But the humidity was not nearly as bad as we had expected. When we went to Florida in July a few years ago, the SO almost died from the suffocating humidity. We were expecting something similar in Austin. So I think we can definitely deal with the heat. At least it doesn't get cold or snow, which is what I can't deal with!

We did not encounter any of the bad traffic that's frequently mentioned. I'm not sure if that's because of the time of day/direction we were driving, or because bad traffic in Austin doesn't seem bad to us, as compared to LA traffic. The area seemed way smaller than I had imagined, which is good in a way - because it seemed like it only took a few minutes to get from one part to another. I'm (possibly) weird in that I actually like the urban sprawl of LA, and I was missing that in Austin. But I think I can adapt.

We had good luck with restaurants (except downtown on Sunday). We never had to wait to be seated, the food and service was very good, and the prices were LOW! Our first meal there at a chain restaurant was only about $20 but would have cost at least $35-$40 for the same thing in LA.

Overall, my impression of Austin and surrounding areas was positive, but not super fantastic. To be fair, we only had a few days to look around, and I suspect there is a lot of good stuff that we just didn't run across yet. The people we encountered were so friendly - we didn't notice even one jerk or obnoxious idiot, of which there are plenty around here. But the "yes, m'am" thing is going to take some getting used to! I know it's not meant this way at all, but I kept hearing it as sarcasm!

The weather here in SoCal simply can't be beat, and I will miss seeing mountains when I look out my window. My SO in particular will miss having beaches within easy reach. But I was starting to feel more comfortable by the end of our trip, so I'm fairly certain we'll be happy there. We're soooo looking forward to having some privacy from the neighbors, and extra money to invest or have fun with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2006, 07:04 AM

364 posts, read 1,420,963 times
Sounds like you enjoyed the visit. Please don't be offended by "yes, ma'am". That is just how most of us were raised and it is a sign of respect, not to mention that it is just good manners.

Best of luck with the move.

Rick

Old 08-17-2006, 07:14 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Glad your trip went well! I grew up in Georgetown, and although it has grown remarkably since I left, it is still a very nice town in several regards.

Did you look at the Serenada neighborhood (and surrounding neighborhoods)? These were 70's houses, for the most part, and have bigger lots. Also, very few were spec homes and many are custom designed. Lots of variety. The area is also closer to the lake. The Brangus Ranch neighborhood is all 5-acre lots with 70's homes, and is located with easy access to I-35.

Georgetown restaurants are still fairly limited compared to Austin. Several of the chain ones moved in during the last couple decades, but there still aren't a huge number of local names. Austin actually has a much higher than average restaurant/population ratio for a city this size. Until recently, the big chains really didn't have a very big chunk of the eating business, but that is slowly changing due to the pop. boom. Hope it doesn't kill the little guys. Between the competition and the highly educated waitstaff, service and quality are usually good or the place doesn't last.

Driving from Georgetown to the Arboretum will probably take longer then 30 minutes, unless you drive when traffic is pretty dead, but should not be more than ~45. Well, maybe 30, I haven't really driven it since they did all the MoPac work and the toll roads should be completed soon.

Yes, Austin is pretty quite on Sundays, but at least every few weekends or so there is some event occuring, usually outside (Pecan Street, First Thursday, etc.). The weather right now is unusually hot (104 - 105 at the moment, I think it was right around 100 last weekend), and this kind of hot usually doesn't start until the end of July and only last through August.

Anyway, good luck with the search! I just sold my house right across from the arboretum area and moved in with my wife down south (seems like a good idea, eh?).

Old 08-17-2006, 07:28 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,334,442 times
Default Reconsider?

Hi! Glad you had a good trip. I'm don't want to be negative but you might want to reconsider an offer on a house in Georgetown if you want a less than 30 minute commute to the Arboretum area. I just don't see that happening!

Also, don't worry about downtown Austin being dead. This is the middle of August and there's never much going on this time of year cause it's so HOT. There are tons of restaurants downtown and when the weather is nicer there are always festivals and stuff going on.

Good luck with your move!

Old 08-17-2006, 10:26 AM

806 posts, read 2,884,793 times
Downtown was probably deserted on Sunday PM because it was too hot and also school started Monday, so the natives were busy with last minute shopping and preparations.
Establishments on Congress, and Sixth Street west of Congress, are usually open on Sunday for brunch and get trickle traffic all through the day.
Rethink that Georgetown to Arboretum trek. No matter which road/highway you use, and there are only two that go that far north, it will be annoying. Granted the traffic isn't as bad as you're probably used to, but it will still be heavy enough to make you hate it after a while.

Last edited by Spookmeister; 08-17-2006 at 10:54 AM..

Old 08-17-2006, 03:10 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,793 times
For those coming on future trips, please visit diningoutwithrobbalon dot com for some pretty good tips on dining out places. Enjoy!

Old 08-20-2006, 05:04 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,713 times
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. Please let us know what happens with your offer! I'm anxious to hear about it. We're here now househunting.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:58 PM

118 posts, read 561,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post

Did you look at the Serenada neighborhood (and surrounding neighborhoods)?

Driving from Georgetown to the Arboretum will probably take longer then 30 minutes, unless you drive when traffic is pretty dead, but should not be more than ~45. Well, maybe 30, I haven't really driven it since they did all the MoPac work and the toll roads should be completed soon.
It's funny you mention the Serenada area, because yes! The house we're buying is in Serenada. The sellers accepted our offer and now we're going thru the inspections. The house is older and needs some work, but that's what we were looking for. The property itself is exactly what we wanted (even better, I'd venture) and we can modify the house to suit our tastes.

I have to say the Texas real estate purchase process so far is much more layed back than here in California! And it's not so bad doing it long distance. So far, anyway. I suppose I might have to fly back out to sign the final papers.

About the commute from there to the Arboretum area... our agent said it would probably be at least 30 minutes, but she said when the toll road is done, the time should be cut in half. Does that sound about right?

It is a little farther than my SO wanted to drive (I work from home), but he thinks he can deal until the other road is finished. He may also be able to go to work earlier to beat the traffic. When does rush hour generally start, anyway?

We are really excited about the opportunites our new life in Texas will give us!

Old 08-23-2006, 07:39 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Well, I have not driven from G'town to Austin on a regular basis for decades, so I am not really sure what the commute is like these days. HOWEVER, in 1982, I had to make a regular early morning commute that direction from Brangus Ranch (back side of Serenada, near the interstate), and it probably took 20-25 minutes to get to the arboretum area (which didn't exist yet). MoPac has been completed since then, so the actual distance is slightly shorter and more direct, but you will NEVER see traffic in Austin again like it was in 1982. There was almost NO traffic at 6:30 am, only had to stop or slow down at lights. The toll road should really help, I am thinking, but your realtor may be a little optimistic.

Anyway, I think Gerogetown is probably a good choice anyway. It has more character than Round Rock or Cedar Park (which are closer to Arboretum). What street are you looking at a house on? I think I know about half the people in that area back in the day...Esperada, Sequoia Trail, Serenada Drive, Granada, Sinuso....

Edit: You do know Serenada is right next to the municipal airport, right? It is not too bad, but a few of the houses (more so in Sanaloma) are in flight paths.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:16 AM

437 posts, read 2,239,180 times
I am so happy for you. Glad you had a nice trip. Thanks for the report. Us Calif need to know. (:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin