Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 02:26 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times

Advertisements

Free programmable thermostat installed by the City of Austin:

It will save you money if you can set the temperatures to set the HVAC so its not running as often when you are away at work. They require you to agree to allow them to cycle your AC off on peak demand days. Last year, cycling occured only 13 times. Cycling times are June - Sept. between 3 to 7 PM Monday - Friday, no weekends or holidays.

It is a pretty good deal especially if no one is home until 6PM or so.

Visit Power Partner Thermostats or call toll free 1-800-549-2774.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 05:35 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Programmable t-stats are not expensive nor hard to install. I would never let the city or a utility have control over my A/C or heating in return for a $75 part.

These are "remote control" thermostats and I don't want any electronic devices in my house that can be controlled by others.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:06 PM

239 posts, read 518,247 times
No thanks. We just got rid of that same thermostat. After every "cycle' this summer, the thermostat would reset to HEAT mode. Yeah, in the middle of 100 degree temperatures...

Old 11-12-2010, 08:01 AM

658 posts, read 2,006,989 times
We have had two digital thermostats and both caused problems with the furnace. Two expensive repair calls only to be told the thermostat was the problem. One went out early Christmas morning during a cold spell! The last repair guy said to stay away from them and we haven't had any problems since removing it. Both the units were good quality and not cheap. They were great while they worked but I now stick with the old fashioned mercury type. I set it to 60 in the winter and 80 in the summer and don't mess with them again.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:30 AM

19 posts, read 58,863 times
Programmable thermostats are as cheap as $23 on Amazon. I'd never trust the city to control my home thermostat!

One apartment I lived in years ago had a weird problem - no hot water from around 3pm to 7pm every day one summer. I tracked it down to a power cycling device the city had installed on the hot water heater. Either the owner or a previous tenant had received a cash rebate in exchange for allowing this to be installed. I just rewired the connection to bypass the device.

BTW, soon the city is planning to just charge more for electricity during peak use times - the fancy new digital meters give them that ability.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:57 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Back in Atlanta, there was a program that locked in the homeowner at a lower rate with no 'peak' premiums in exchange for the ability to reduce usage during those peaks. It would have to be a significant savings for me to consider 'outside' control of my thermostat, especially since we had a programmable unit installed with the HVAC.

Perhaps if someone is in need of a new thermostat and looking to pinch pennies, this Austin program would work. Otherwise, I see the potential for more damage than good.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:13 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
13 cycles a year would hardly be noticed. I would actually probably be in work most of those summer days when it did occur. Yes there is a loss of 'freedom' with such a program but really it should be compared to an alternative scenario where CoA has to build another power plant in order to cope with these peak periods. For apartments this is probably a better idea since the owner doesn't have the incentive to save energy but wouldn't mind free hardware whereas the tenant doesn't want to pay for the hardware but conversely wants to lower their energy bills.

Of course if every homeowner and apartment had their duct work properly sealed this would probably reap a greater benefit.

tibbar: I think your situation is a fluke or the service person didn't know what they were doing. I see no reason why a digital thermostat should not work with older equipment. You are either wasting a lot of energy when you are not at home or you will have to wait once you get home for your system to heat or cool to a comfortable temperature if you are using a non-programmable thermostat.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:22 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
I guess I'm not paranoid enough to worry about the City having such limited control of my thermostat. Its a pretty good deal for anyone who doesn't want to buy and install a thermostat themselves. It will save them money at no cost and very little effort on their part.

@verybadgnome, you are absolutely right about making sure your ducts are sealed. Those are AC and Heating dollars just blowing into the attic if there are leaks, and it costs very little to seal the ducts and registers.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:26 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,898 times
Geez - you guys sound like you're worried about Big Brother, or something! I have 2 City of Austin programmable thermostats in my house (1 for each zone) and have only had my air conditioning cycled about 5 times this summer. The cycling only lasts 15 - 20 minutes. I saved $200 by not having to pay for my own thermostats, so I'm pretty happy.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:00 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
13 cycles a year NOW. Who knows what it might be in the future.

Yes - I am mildly paranoid about big brother in my home. I don't want a government body able to directly control my home's HVAC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: