Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,749,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Well Im going to make this short and sweet. Im 28 and my wife is 25. We LOVE Pflugerville and moved here from San Diego. It has a small town feel, but it super close to Downtown Austin and also close to Round Rock. We dont have kids so I cant comment on schools. But there are plenty of kids here. We bought a house at 200k and its in a nice neighborhood, 2600 sq feet, on a culdesac. Love it. Payments after pmi, taxes, home insurance, principle + interest is $1600. Definitely A great place to live. I feel safe- that might be for the 3 law enforcement offers living on my street
So Pflugerville at 15 miles (Pecan St. and Railroad Ave is actually 17 but I was being generous) from Downtown Austin is "super close?" I would consider something "super close" being within walking distance, about half a mile, or biking distance, maybe 5 miles away.

I think the amount of sprawl in this country is leading towards skewed perceptions of what is in close proximity and this is being imported into Austin more and more, unfortunately to our long term detriment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 10:14 PM

739 posts, read 3,060,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
So Pflugerville at 15 miles (Pecan St. and Railroad Ave is actually 17 but I was being generous) from Downtown Austin is "super close?" I would consider something "super close" being within walking distance, about half a mile, or biking distance, maybe 5 miles away.

I think the amount of sprawl in this country is leading towards skewed perceptions of what is in close proximity and this is being imported into Austin more and more, unfortunately to our long term detriment.
20 minutes to a downtown of a major city is close imo. But we all have our opinions and they differ....

Old 12-05-2010, 11:29 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,529,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post

I know, I know....sprawl and the evil suburbs are teh evil.....

not everyone wants to be packed like a sardine. I've lived the urban lifestyle for 28 years, I don't need to live it anymore. Texas is all about being spread out...remember, the people with the ranches and acreage? That's what part of what makes this state awesome to me, is that I don't have commercial soclose to residential, that there's still large tracts of land out there. I don't want to be so close to my job. I do my part of getting my evil sprawlie car off the road by taking Metrorail.

I know you love your urban lifestyle, but there are others who don't..and I don't find it "detrimental" at all.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:27 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,908,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I was just giving the Cedar Park/Round Rock example pretty much exactly from my tax bill. My house appraised at $195K. I am able to claim the homestead exemption and my bill is $5426. This is for a house that feeds into LISD with a Round Rock address (and with a MUD).
Wow, that's like a 3% tax rate assuming you have the homestead exemption; I think that's really high even for Cedar Park/RR. Perhaps it's your specific MUD? Some of the newer or actively expanding ones are very high.

You could always look up the taxing entities for your property on wcad.org, then look them up on the rate chart and see what the culprit is...

Old 12-06-2010, 12:47 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,442,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Taxes are going to eat you up.
Taxes is not a big problem.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:55 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,662,945 times
Atxcio, tax rate according to our bill is 2.9% out here so your are right in your area and I am right for the Leander/CP area.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:21 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,987,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinking View Post
Taxes is not a big problem.
I don't know what your income is, but my husband and I have comfortable enough take-home salaries and taxes ARE high, even to us! We've lived all over the state and in comparison, the taxes here are much higher than elsewhere in Texas. I didn't even think about them at all when I was living in Victoria.

We pay nearly $7000 a year to City of Cedar Park, Williamson County, Austin Community College, RRISD, Williamson Co FM/RD, and Upper Brushy Creek WCID...to the tune of a 2.45% tax base. And we don't even have kids to benefit from our RRISD taxes, and we're finished with our educations so we don't need Austin Community College either. But that's just how it goes.

I would say that the taxes could be a problem for a number of people, if you aren't expecting it. We were expecting it, and it was still sticker shock when the bill came.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,736,518 times
Hays and Williamson counties are very, very different than Travis county.

Pick your poison.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:05 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,031,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jajividen View Post
I read to stay away from anything East????
Let's approach this logically: If 50% of everything west of I-35 is a dump, and everything east of I-35 is a dump, then 70% of Austin is a dump. How would that be possible?

I look at east of I-35 as the "new" part of town. You want new houses close to town, this is where the majority of those options will appear from now on. I will agree with the comparison between CP and Pf earlier. They are interchangeable, and both towns have a PR campaign going on right now. Pf markets itself as "close to everything" and realizes that it has an unwarranted stigma to overcome - at least they are honest about it. CP markets itself as "family friendly" and wants everyone to know that CP is worth sitting in 2-3 hours of traffic because of schools, and the CP Center.

Last edited by jobert; 12-06-2010 at 08:21 AM..

Old 12-06-2010, 12:27 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,749,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
20 minutes to a downtown of a major city is close imo. But we all have our opinions and they differ....
That would mean your average speed is 45 mph for that distance. Maybe on weekends or at 5AM. According to my second hand info it is more like 45 minutes, an average speed of 20 mph, during rush hour on IH-35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin