Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2006, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,803 times

Advertisements

How diverse is Austin exactly? I'm not talking about race, im talking about nationality. What would you say is the breakdown of the different nationalities that live there.

Also, how is Austin in terms of residential and commercial construction? Are there alot of green (sustainable) construction being done as well? Is there a high demand for construction? I'm studying Building Construction Management right now. Jobwise, Is it worth moving there after i get my Masters or am i better off in Florida?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2006, 09:57 AM

42 posts, read 164,045 times
Default Construction question...

Am not sure about the diversity question, tho I believe most city populations in Texas (and most of the U.S., eventually) will be more than 50% Hispanic origin. I have no problem with that (I'm Caucasian, but we have some new Hispanic & African branches to our family tree). I think Houston is probably the most diverse Texas city - MANY foreigners from everywhere around the globe. I worked for a huge international company - Schlumberger, and I loved working with folks from everywhere.

As for the construction question - this is boom town - industrial, commercial & residential. My spouse is a master electrician and the pay is better than Houston (where we just moved from). There is a HUGE Hill Country Galleria being built in Bee Cave (about 10 miles W-NW of Austin), boasting several million square feet of office, retail & residential in the complex. Not sure what you mean about 'green' construction, but if you mean environmentally friendly, Austinites seem to pride themselves on their earth-friendly attitudes. I live near Lake Travis and all new construction around the lakes has strict guidelines so as not to contaminate the Central Texas water supply.

I am new to Austin (I used to come up here and party alot in my 20's back in the 70's, then got 'married' to a job in Houston for 28 years!) and I just love it. There are parks everywhere and live music and an almost '60's atmosphere (I'm a boomer). So far, the only negative thing that bugs me are the bums at the intersections. We had them in Houston, also, but these guys look like burned out, middle-aged hippies that never got it together. They don't have my sympathies! I'm tempted to give them little baggies of oregano just to mess with their heads!

After the Rita scare last year where they predicted 175 mi winds hitting Houston, I'm glad to leave the gulf coast. It's less humid up here, too. There is a bad drought this summer, but all central Texans know that can change in a New York minute - I am originally from Sleepy Hollow, NY about 40 miles north of NYC. That is one of the most beautiful (and expensive!) places I've ever seen and I've been all over the U.S. Austin, tho not quite as beautiful, comes close enough for me - I plan to live here for the rest of my life.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:01 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,075 times
Default San Antonio is very diverse!

San Antonio has lots of diversity here. This is even celebrated every year (in June) during the Texas Folk Life Festival. Here is their web site:

http://www.texancultures.utsa.edu/tff/tff2006/overview.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: