Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 08:33 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times

Advertisements

Quotes from article from today's Stateman:

Quote:
Austin's neighborhoods became more diverse in the latter half of the past decade as more minorities moved into middle-class enclaves across the city. But neighborhoods with already heavy Latino and immigrant populations, which also have some of the city's lowest median family incomes, also grew.

...Robinson cited two neighborhoods in Southwest Austin, Circle C and Shady Hollow, which saw 10- to 20-point gains in Hispanic shares of the populations. The most dramatic increases in Hispanic shares, 20 percentage points or more, were in eastern Travis County.

...Non-Hispanic whites continued to dominate populations in areas west of Interstate 35, which also had some of the highest median family incomes. Some of the lowest were found east of the interstate, illustrating a historical divide in Austin.
Full article:
Census data: Austin diversifying

I still wonder why mass media so heavily focuses on our ethnic differences. It's sad, in some ways, that we get divided up by skin color and earnings mostly.

Steve

Old 12-24-2010, 09:01 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Quotes from article from today's Stateman:

Full article:
Census data: Austin diversifying

I still wonder why mass media so heavily focuses on our ethnic differences. It's sad, in some ways, that we get divided up by skin color and earnings mostly.

Steve

some more quotes:

"older, traditionally minority neighborhoods in central East Austin now being transformed by development, African American and Hispanic shares of the population fell by up to 20 percentage points or more since 2000."

It sounds like East Austin is becoming more anglo, while the rest of Austin is becoming more diverse:

"Meanwhile, African American population shares grew in suburban tracts in northern Travis County, including in Pflugerville and Wells Branch, by 10 percentage points or more. Gains of 2 to 5 points or more were seen in an immense swath of eastern Travis County, North and Northwest Austin, South Austin, and northern and southern suburbs."

"Circle C and Shady Hollow, which saw 10- to 20-point gains in Hispanic shares of the populations."

"Hispanics saw gains of 5 percentage points or more in neighborhoods in the central part of the city and in substantial pockets of West Austin"

Old 12-24-2010, 09:13 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Quote:

Steve
Because it drives our decisions, primarily the decisions made by anglos that are fleeing to places like Dripping Springs, Bee Caves, Lakeway, and Marble Falls - then **tching about how they are stuck in traffic for a hour each day at the "Y" in Oak Hill.

It drives sprawl, bad traffic, environmental degredation, and isolationism - mostly on the part of anglos in western Travis county.

Last edited by jobert; 12-24-2010 at 09:22 AM..

Old 12-24-2010, 10:33 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Because it drives our decisions, primarily the decisions made by anglos that are fleeing to places like Dripping Springs, Bee Caves, Lakeway, and Marble Falls - then **tching about how they are stuck in traffic for a hour each day at the "Y" in Oak Hill.

It drives sprawl, bad traffic, environmental degredation, and isolationism - mostly on the part of anglos in western Travis county.
I think affordability, safety and good schools drive sprawl, not ethnic considerations.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:58 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
I think affordability, safety and good schools drive sprawl, not ethnic considerations.
I have to agree with austin-steve on this one, based on the reasons I see people moving (which apparently are the same ones he sees in his business).

Old 12-24-2010, 01:40 PM

543 posts, read 1,382,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I have to agree with austin-steve on this one, based on the reasons I see people moving (which apparently are the same ones he sees in his business).
How many people are actually willing to say "I'm moving because there are too many minorities moving into my neighborhood." Not too many I would venture to guess. I'm not saying that is the reason they are moving but I don't think they'd tell you even if it were.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Some would, some wouldn't. However, the reasons actually given for moving (see above) make all sorts of sense and fit into the context of the lives of the people moving.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, in other words, no matter how much we'd like to make it fit whatever our particular agenda is.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:22 PM

543 posts, read 1,382,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Some would, some wouldn't. However, the reasons actually given for moving (see above) make all sorts of sense and fit into the context of the lives of the people moving.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, in other words, no matter how much we'd like to make it fit whatever our particular agenda is.
This is true, and sometimes it's not worth speculating because you'll never know the truth anyway.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:35 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,174 times
Is it diversification if the only reason people are moving to outlying communities is because it's the only thing they can afford?

We get "divided up" by earnings and skin color because there is usually (for better or worse) a strong correlation between one's race and their income bracket. Have a look at the way unemployment statistics are broken down in Austin. Who's got the highest rate of unemployment in this town? African Americans. Second highest? Latinos. I'm sure if we dug deeper we'd probably also find that there is a strong correlation in educational attainment (or lack thereof) amongst those unemployed. If I'm not mistaken, per these new projections, is not West Austin still a predominantly "Anglo" part of town? Is it not also where the more expensive real estate is? Does not one have to have a certain level of income in order to live in those neighborhoods?

I have a feeling that if a low-income or Section 8 housing development proposed in Tarrytown the residents there would proclaim their commitment to social justice, but insist that such a development was (to put it euphemistically) out of place.

I enjoy diversity. But I enjoy equality of opportunity more.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:25 PM

34 posts, read 71,488 times
I don't think you can blame the media for this one. They're just analyzing the Census data that the government tells them to collect. Perhaps the better statement would be, "I still wonder why the government so heavily focuses on our ethnic differences."

The only reason i can think of is because of the racists in the minorities make them do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin