Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:23 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,239,687 times

Advertisements

I was here for a workshop and now have 3 days to explore...Austin is very cool, not keen on the traffic but what a vibrant (and of course weird) city! It qualifies as a potential for my future home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 08:08 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,744,303 times
The good thing about the vibrant, weird, (insert adjective) parts of Austin is that they're all fairly close to downtown. That is if you get a good job downtown you may be able to skip most of the traffic and have the neighborhood you want. Live near a bus route or light rail (opens March 22nd) and your commute costs are next to nothing. I have a tough commute myself: 2 miles on 2 wheels on the hike and bike trail. Woe is me..........

Old 03-08-2010, 10:43 PM

163 posts, read 318,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I was here for a workshop and now have 3 days to explore...Austin is very cool, not keen on the traffic but what a vibrant (and of course weird) city! It qualifies as a potential for my future home!

just out of curiosity, what did you notice was weird while you were here?

Old 03-13-2010, 11:54 AM

Lucky for me I'm an entrepreneur and I work from home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
The good thing about the vibrant, weird, (insert adjective) parts of Austin is that they're all fairly close to downtown. That is if you get a good job downtown you may be able to skip most of the traffic and have the neighborhood you want. Live near a bus route or light rail (opens March 22nd) and your commute costs are next to nothing. I have a tough commute myself: 2 miles on 2 wheels on the hike and bike trail. Woe is me..........

Old 03-13-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutely View Post
just out of curiosity, what did you notice was weird while you were here?
I was kinda joking but what I did enjoy was the creativity, arts and the funky feel of south Austin and SoCo...I spent one night at the Austin Motel.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:50 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,896,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I was kinda joking but what I did enjoy was the creativity, arts and the funky feel of south Austin and SoCo...I spent one night at the Austin Motel.
Austin Motel is a really neat location. Was it too loud?

Hopefully you found some cool things to do on your extra 3 days of visiting. Any of the suggestions pan out for you, as far as things to do?

Old 03-13-2010, 01:29 PM

680 posts, read 1,385,117 times
What beautiful weather for your visit!

Yesterday I spent a couple hours along the Town Lake hike/bike trail with a brilliant creative woman. We had a splendid time. It was all so beautiful, I felt sorry for the people who sit at home writing post after bitter post about how much they dislike Austin. They say there's nothing to do here and yet I haven't the time to do all there is to do. I strongly suspect that people who cannot find anything to do are simply too glued to their computers and television sets to bother looking outside their windows. The world is a wonderful place in general and Austin is a fantastic city for those who are alive enough to take notice of all there is here.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:58 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,714,119 times
I agree and that's why my daughter and I are having such a tough time being inside right now! She had an asthma attack earlier this week and we've been to the doctor twice already because it's not better and not worse either. She told us there is a lot of mold and elm/and or Oak in the air right now and so this weekend she has to stay inside and not do too much. Today she's held pretty steady at a high "yellow" level, if anyone here is familiar with Peak Flow Meters. I told her that if it stays high yellow or low green then we can go do something tomorrow. I hope tomorrow is as nice as today so we can get out and enjoy it

Old 03-14-2010, 06:48 AM

27 posts, read 70,665 times
Default are you preaching for jesus, apple or dell?

Austin has almost surpassed all the hype that Seattle and Portland got back in the '90s for being the putative coolest U.S. cities. I was in Austin in the summertime years ago and ironically found myself daydreaming of the Pacific Northwest because it was unbelievably hot and humid. The traffic was bad then--'03--and I can imagine it's gotten much worse with all the people moving in there. Reminds me of the Husker Du song (title escapes me)--"the sun belt's overcrowded and there's nowhere left to go" and that was '84. I guess I admire the optimism of transplants, but there's no way Austin and cities like it are ever going to live up to their hype. Although I do admit that Seattle is a very pleasant city and I'd live there any day over Austin.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:24 PM

680 posts, read 1,385,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTony View Post
I was in Austin in the summertime years ago and ironically found myself daydreaming of the Pacific Northwest because it was unbelievably hot and humid.
Yeah, that's a genius observation. I was at the summit of Mount Washington one January and "ironically" found myself wishing I were in Miami because it was so cold and windy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin