Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:57 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,689 times

Advertisements

Real Austinites don't overuse bolding and underlining in a too-long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 05:29 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
I don't think you will find many natives on the this board. It is primarily a relocation site that many of us found when we were searching out information regarding cities to where we were relocating. Consequently, native Austinites that still live here would never have had a purpose to get involved.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:45 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
My family moved to Austin in 1959 - before that we lived in San Antonio & Killeen in the '40s. Married a California gal who had moved here in '49 with her family. Our kids (age 38, 39, 42) were all born here.

I still count myself as a nOOb.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:09 AM

200 posts, read 324,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the "superficial attitude" in the transplants here. You may find that more in the ones who made their way to the bigger cities though, such as Houston. I'm a native Texan, but not from Austin myself. I grew up near Houston, along the Texas Gulf Coast. Most of the Cali transplants I've met are normal everyday people and the only thing I've heard ANY of them complain about recently is the foggy, cold weather I have, however, noticed a relatively recent East/West competition (West of 35 is the best, safest place to be.) This is not entirely true, and not solely started by Californians. There are people from everywhere around here. I went to a friends party last night here in Hutto and met some very cool, laid back, unpretentious people from Louisiana, Florida, other parts of Texas, Chicago, South Austin and New York
That's EXACTLY what I'm trying to say. I KNOW that there are people who do come from other places, but those that you listed Are Not the ones I was referring to as well. & of course, I Know Austin is a Youthful Thriving College Town. I was just making sure if Austin would STILL have that amount of different DIVERSITIES (people coming from Other Places). & Yes, I know people are people no matter where they Come from. The reason I mentioned Cali. was based upon my bad experiences over there in LA (Cali.). Everytime I tried to give LA a chance it just seemed like those I met were "superficial" (as you said) like there was No Realness or Ingenuity. For example, I remember when I was thinking of moving to San Diego where when I got the San Diego Classifieds & started calling about rooms or roommates to live 1 woman said that she came from Buffalo, NY & when I told her that I was trying to give the LA area a try it was hard for me. She said something like "yeah, it is hard to start a friendship or relationship here" & I think she went on saying that I would really have to look for those who I could fit w/. So, this was the reason I put it as "REAL AUSTINITES" b/c I MEANT Anyone FROM TEXAS (in general) & I was just looking (from those bad experiences I've had already mentioned) to see if I would be encountering the SAME Amount of "Superficiality" (& like you've mentioned I'm glad to hear that there ARE Californians that are "Down To Earth").

Old 01-17-2011, 12:16 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certaincircles View Post
That's EXACTLY what I'm trying to say. I KNOW that there are people who do come from other places, but those that you listed Are Not the ones I was referring to as well. & of course, I Know Austin is a Youthful Thriving College Town. I was just making sure if Austin would STILL have that amount of different DIVERSITIES (people coming from Other Places). & Yes, I know people are people no matter where they Come from. The reason I mentioned Cali. was based upon my bad experiences over there in LA (Cali.). Everytime I tried to give LA a chance it just seemed like those I met were "superficial" (as you said) like there was No Realness or Ingenuity. For example, I remember when I was thinking of moving to San Diego where when I got the San Diego Classifieds & started calling about rooms or roommates to live 1 woman said that she came from Buffalo, NY & when I told her that I was trying to give the LA area a try it was hard for me. She said something like "yeah, it is hard to start a friendship or relationship here" & I think she went on saying that I would really have to look for those who I could fit w/. So, this was the reason I put it as "REAL AUSTINITES" b/c I MEANT Anyone FROM TEXAS (in general) & I was just looking (from those bad experiences I've had already mentioned) to see if I would be encountering the SAME Amount of "Superficiality" (& like you've mentioned I'm glad to hear that there ARE Californians that are "Down To Earth").
Sigh. If you had a hard time making friends in LA, a town with over 3.8 million people in it (almost 18 million in the metropolitan area) then I tend to think the problem is you and not them.

For instance, reading your posts, with your run-on sentences and your over emphasis of bolding and emoticons, makes me really really really dislike you. And I don't even know you. Perhaps the personality that you are displaying in your posts is the real reason you are having trouble making connections with people? The over emphasis of bolding and emoticons is what I would associate with a "superficial" person. The very person you claim to be trying to avoid.

As I read your other posts in the NYC forum, I see almost EVERY post is the same way. Tons of bold type, tons of emoticons, and all the same complaints "Is it just me, or are people from *fill in the bank* rude and superficial?" You complain that this superficiality is true of people from LA, and people from Queens, and people from Long Island, and on and on and on. At what point do you say to yourself "Hey??? Maybe it's me!! Maybe I am the one that has the problem here"

Your posts are very difficult to read because they are stream of conciousness. I am sorry you are having trouble making friends where you are. I don't see that problem resolving in Austin though. If the people on this board are any indication, you are going to have a difficult time here too.

I wonder if you are self aware enough to realize that the near universal negative reactions to your original post are indicative of how you rub people the wrong way? From across the political and socio-economic spectrum, everyone is telling you the same thing, "You come off like a jerk, please don't move here."

I don't think you are self aware though, because you did the exact same thing in your 2nd post in this thread. Best of luck to you, you are going to need it.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 01-17-2011 at 12:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin