Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:26 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times

Advertisements

All three stores in Austin are closing due to bankruptcy. Borders is closing 200 stores nationwide. Closings are supposed to start on Saturday. If you have gift cards, use them now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 AM

14 posts, read 63,647 times
Keep Austin Weird.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:59 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Border's was the bookstore that was going to move into a new bigbox shopping center across from Book People at 6th and lamar, right? Then folks protested and they dropped the idea?

Anyway, good news for Book People (local) and Half Price (Texas). Half Price is one of my favorite stores of any type...

Old 02-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeb View Post
Keep Austin Weird.
Buying physical books in a bricks-and-mortar bookstore is becoming weird. That's why Borders is closing so many stores.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:09 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
I think B&N will go soon as well - Borders was #2 and couldn't hold on. The lack of an e-book reader and handing over their market share to competitors like Amazon was the writing on the wall for them. I could see B&N turning into more of a rival of Amazon, but consolidating stores in the process.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:38 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I think B&N will go soon as well - Borders was #2 and couldn't hold on. The lack of an e-book reader and handing over their market share to competitors like Amazon was the writing on the wall for them. I could see B&N turning into more of a rival of Amazon, but consolidating stores in the process.
Supposedly B&N is succeeding because they revamped their online store. They offer free shipping on orders over $25 and have competitive prices to Amazon. I'm an Amazon shopper, but B&N did the right thing.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:09 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Buying physical books in a bricks-and-mortar bookstore is becoming weird. That's why Borders is closing so many stores.

Geeze, buying books in a "bricks-and-mortar bookstore" is still a good thing for us. I hope we can still experience it in our lifetime. We love half-price books!

Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Geeze, buying books in a "bricks-and-mortar bookstore" is still a good thing for us. I hope we can still experience it in our lifetime. We love half-price books!
If you like Half-Price, you should make a trip to the Dallas flagship store sometime. It rivals BookPeople and even exceeds them in some areas - it's pretty freakin' amazing.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,334 times
I used to work for Book People. What Book People does is not the same thing as what Half Price does. They're different models. HPB doesn't have a standing, searchable inventory, it's rare that they have newer titles, and a lot of their merch/sideline items (i.e. bookmarks, journals) are remainder items. Some of them are bookmarks or toys from movies made five years ago. I enjoy HPB, but BP is a different kind of store with a very different kind of mission. It's more about the programming, quirky stock selection (George Bush toilet paper or Avenging Unicorn doll, anyone?), and the localized taste.

All of that being said, Green Apple Books in San Francisco remains one of my favorites. And Powell's. Powell's is amazing.

I think e-readers are great if they keep people literate. But these people who deride those of us who love the physical heft of a book and think we are behind the times fail to realize that it's not that simple. I enjoy bookstores as a place to escape, a place to enjoy a good cup of coffee, socialize with friends, meet new people, and browse. Browsing online in my pajamas is great, but it's not the same as visiting a great bookstore.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:02 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
We were never big into Borders (their location in the Domain made it far more convenient and we ended up going way more than we used to, though almost never as the primary destination) but we love B&N, esp the one in the Arboretum. I hope folks will continue to frequent the b&m bookstores, I think it would be quite sad if they all/most went away. I'm not necessarily a big book guy, but there is something about a bookstore, esp with a good cafe, that really just seems like a great place to chill.

Support your b&m bookstores folks if you, like me, enjoy their presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: