Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 06:45 PM

7 posts, read 7,072 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.
Here it's a guy that live's in madrd, spain and it's preparing some future trip to usa.
My preferences are austin, los angeles..not sure yet of what city will catch in some way to myself.
My primary objetive is to pratice english, talk basically, I have been studying english since 6 years so I want to have some kind of fluid speach.

It's also very important that someone could help me or guide me into wich are the best zones or places to live for a couple of months maybe more time 4 months..it depends if I'm enjoying the life style, city, people.. you know?

Honestly I would like some place that the lifestyle it's kind of cool, I mean, I don't considere a preppy, I mean not like people of high class, but my lifestyle here in spain is very nice...

I hope someone that knows what I'm talking about could give me some type of help or advice..

nice to meet you all !

[+] Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 09:21 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Austin is a nice place to live and has a climate similar to Spain and there are many Spanish speaking people here too. I think you'll probably love it here.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 PM

171 posts, read 422,605 times
If you're coming to the US, don't go to the tourist areas. I've met plenty of folks who claim to have seen America by going to New York, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles. Those are magnificent cities, but they're not America. Go to the smaller cities and towns, and meet people where they live.

When my wife and I toured Ireland, we were only two nights in Dublin - arriving and departing. The rest of the time we were in small towns, meeting the people, and had a magnificent time.

So yes, come to Austin. Go see 6th street (and 4th street if you're a bit older than 23), go to the lakes and parks. Be gregarious and outgoing, and meet people. Ask to practice your English, and possibly offer to coach people (or their children) with their Spanish. Actually, that may be a great way to find free lodging - Stay for a week or more with a family and help them with their Spanish.

Go to New Orleans, but stay safe. Go to the Rocky Mountains (possibly Santa Fe or some of the ski towns in the summertime). Go to Memphis or Nashville. Go to Asheville, North Carolina. See the Canyonlands in Utah (but not in the peak of summer - it's too hot!) Go see Seattle or Portland. Get out of the huge cities and into the smaller cities or even towns where people are friendlier.

Many of the cities I listed have one big problem. They do not have the public transportation systems that Europe is famous for. Austin has buses and a small train system, but it's not very tourist-friendly. Most people in the US drive where they are going. If you can afford it (and are a decent mechanic), you might look into buying a car while you're here, and selling it before you go. Depending on where you arrive and depart, you might even make some money out of it!

Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 PM

Thanks for answering cbach!

wich type of lifestyle has austin? and wich are the best places there to stay for a long..

is del valle a good place to stay?

thanks!

Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 AM

thanks woodyTX! that was a cool advice!

I know that the biggest cities and most famous of US could be NY and some others, there's no doubt about it, but you read my mind, I want to stay in a deeper place of US, and all the things you said it's by far the best way to meet US cities.

Now I want if you can, to tell me the best places to rent a house, it doesen't matter that could be expensive, I mean I don't want to stay in some type of mansion, buy I prefer to stay in a good area..

I am 26 years old, where can I meet people easily people there??

What about my english? I will survive there with this level?

hahaha probably it's too poor..

Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Your English will probably be fine. Spanish (or at least a mutation of it better known as Spanglish) is spoken pretty widely here, and even more so in San Antonio just to the South. Anyway, with you current level and a little immersion, it will improve quickly.

A couple of questions:
- How long will you be here, if you do come?
- Are you looking to stay in an urban/downtown area?

Del Valle is pretty far outside the city proper. Renting a house is hard to do on a short-term basis, an apartment may be what you mean?

Old 04-21-2011, 12:24 PM

trainwreck20 thanks for the information,

well I'm not sure about how much time I will stay, my idea is to stay some months, 4 or 5, but if i'll ejoying the lifestyle and more, probably I could stay some years, who knows!

Well honestly I dont want to feel like a croquette even if it's an urban or downtown area, I would like a kind of good safe zone and cool at the same time, you know a nice zone, but it doesen't have to be a mansion or quite a lot expensive..

thanks!

I love football also, here in spain we play soccer, but I am a big football fan, my 2 favorite sports. I hope I could go to see some match, in spite of nfl lockout..

Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 PM

66 posts, read 202,473 times
Dideavi,

I lived in Madrid (actually Aravaca) from 1975-79. I've lived in Austin since 1987. I am going to Madrid this summer for a high school (ASM) reunion.

The first question I would want to know is more details on the type of neighborhood you want to live in and what you ca afford to spend.

For example, if you want a house or live in a small apartment complex that is in a neighborhood of houses, I would say right off the bat: Clarksville, which is the neighborhood to the north and east of the intersection at 6th and Lamar. You can walk to lots of great things, including downtown. Or if you want a high rise apartment, then downtown. However, this is if you can afford it!

Feel free to send me a private message if you prefer.

Nina

Old 04-21-2011, 09:43 PM

66 posts, read 202,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dideavi View Post
Thanks for answering cbach!

wich type of lifestyle has austin? and wich are the best places there to stay for a long..

is del valle a good place to stay?

thanks!
Austin has a "laid back" casual lifestyle, with an emphasis on music, particularly singer-songwriter and folk music. It is known for being a very friendly place, with lots of young people. Fashion, restaurants, stores are not as sophisticated as in the big cities or in Europe, but there is a nice pace of live, relatively low stress, and people generally like it here. Like many cities in the southern part of the US, it is a spread out and not particularly urban, so most everyone drives here. Austin has grown a lot recently, as people have heard that it's a nice place to live, and with that has come a lot more traffic, more stress, less friendliness, and less focus on creative and leasure endeavors, but it's still a lovely place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin