Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 06:14 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times

Advertisements

My husband is very ill, but he is stable right now, and the doctor says "Go and travel now, while you can." So we would like to take a trip/cruise that is nature/eco oriented (we are not ones for a "party ship"), and that does not require a lot of physical exertion. We just got back from a trip to San Antonio that worked out well. But he requires a wheelchair for long distances, a slow pace, and a good bed at night. He can walk, but has decreased strength and endurance and not really great balance. Does anyone have any ideas or know of a travel agent that could work with us on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 06:41 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,752 times
I'm sorry to hear about your husband's poor health. Hopefully you can find a trip that becomes a special memory for you both. Best wishes.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:34 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,989 times
I am not sure of your age but maybe check with AARP and see what type of travel they may have.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:24 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
My sister and brother-in-law, in their mid-late 70's, frequently go on cruises. I'll ask her if she has any recommendations.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:34 AM

20 posts, read 78,579 times
My wife and I just got back from a 4 day cruise out of galveston. The prices right now are much lower than they will be this summer.

Not only were there lots of things to do for every age group, but we saw many people with walkers and wheelchairs getting around just fine and having fun. We talked to several people in their 60's and 70's that said for their limited mobility, cruises were the best bang for the buck.

Def. worth looking into. We used Carnival and had no complaints.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Okay, my sister gave me lots of information because what they like might not be what you'd like.

However, she says for scenic beauty an Alaskan cruise is far and away her favorite in the U.S. For beaches, Caribbean cruises are good and you can set sail out of Galveston. The South American cruise that includes Chile has wonderful glaciers.

Their favorite cruise lines (can you tell they do this a lot?) are Princess and Royal Caribbean. She says cruiseline preference is very individual so what they like, you might not. She says they normally do 7, 10, or 14 day cruises depending on where they're going, and that if you don't like to party, you should avoid the 3 to 4 day cruises because they're all party, all the time kind of crowds. (And these are people who are still doing competitive square dancing in their 70's, so they do know a party when they see one! )

She also says let the cruiseline know if there are mobility issues before embarking because the lines are usually long, and they will usually let someone with those issues go in the VIP line.

Hope this is helpful, second hand as it is. But they are gone on cruises a LOT now that they're both retired so I thought she'd be a good resource.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
I have used Lori Randig at AAA on 183 North for two trips, and I LOVE her! Normally I do all my own booking but for our European trips, I have to coordinate flights, train, accommodations and have found it is much easier just to let her do it all!

phone 512 336 6114
randig.lori@aaa-texas.com

Old 03-16-2012, 11:04 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
Caravan tours specializes in bus tours in places like the Caribbean, Europe, Costa Rica etc. Typically there is an older crowd so the pace is relaxed and as it is a bus tour walking/hiking is done at your leisure and for those that seek it out. Still plenty of experiences for short hikes, single tours while seeing various parts of X country/region. Hotels/food/entertainment at dinner is included.

My (early 90s and not exactly fiesty) grandparents went to Costa Rica with them and very much enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin