Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:02 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoseeker2010 View Post
I don't say Austin/Central Texas is not a good area to live or raise a family, but CA(minus housing minus public schools) is better, IMHO.
I think that most people that have actually lived in nice areas of CA and the Austin area would agree with you on this point including myself. However, cost of housing and quality of public schools are normally at the top of the list for any family. So if those two items aren't sufficiently met, then that makes another area with reasonable housing costs and acceptable public schools better overall for that family. Plus, if I had a choice to live in Corona, Modesto, or a suburb of Austin, I would pick the suburb of Austin regardless of the cost of housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 AM

205 posts, read 739,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb9152 View Post
Not trying to have anything anyway, and I'm not disagreeing with you, sxrckr. Want to say that right up front.

The simple fact is that people are moving to Texas - the Census figures support that - to multiple metro areas. However, I'll say again - the 10-year increases in this region (Bexar +20%, Travis +26%, Williamson +67%, San Antonio now second most-populous city in Texas) are unprecedented. My overarching point is that people may move from one area because they are compelled to do so by cost of living, taxes, lack of employment opportunity, bad schools, etc., but they have about 3.5 million square miles of country to choose from. A lot of them are choosing to move to the Austin-San Antonio region to the exclusion of other regions in that 3.5 million square mile territory. It's simply ridiculous to claim that there is not some active, informed decision-making going on.

Now, if anyone wants to turn that into an argument for how wonderful Austin is, fine. It would seem to be as good an indicator as any other about the general popularity/desirability of living here; in fact, it's probably better from an objective standpoint than some of the more anecdotal, subjective observations. But I'm not even saying that; I'm just saying that there are a lot of people moving here, and that can't simply be put down to "it was their only choice". I don't buy that.
Of all the people whom I know moved to Austin is because, Austin was the next best logical place for them.

My example, I work in semiconductors and my wife in in biochem/pharma field. For us, Bay Area was the best choice with good career options. But it was expensive (housing and schools) and hence we had to move. Where would we go? Austin. Because it was the second best (after Bay Area) for number of career opportunities for both of us.

My friend, also works in semiconductors, he moved here from Dallas. Why? Dallas had 2-3 semiconductor companies, Austin has 8-10.

Other friend, used to work in Texas Instruments (Semiconductor), Dallas for 5 yrs. Why did he move here. Because he didn't like TI's work culture and there were not many other good companies there. He wanted to live in Dallas, but couldn't because of employment reasons.

Other friend moved from Boston to Houston. Why? His company forced him too. In this economy, it's difficult to find another job. He had no option but to accept it. He will take first flight out of Houston once he lands other opportunity.

One couple moved from Boston to Austin. Why? The couldn't bear the cold winters. Do they like Austin? Not at all?. Then why did they move? Because they hated cold winters more than they hated Austin.

And there will be people who move here purely because they like Austin. So all I am trying to point is, that just because people are moving to Austin, doesn't mean they like it or they think Austin is better than the place where they used to live.

Your point that why only Austin/San Antonio and not rest of Texas.
1) Austin is liberal compared to rest of Texas. So that attracts liberals.
2) Hi-Tech Industries
3) Government Jobs
4) Military bases in San Antonio.
5) San Antonio for conservatives.
6) Weather COMPARED TO HOUSTON. Let me tell for once, "it's not as bad as houston"..!!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I think that most people that have actually lived in nice areas of CA and the Austin area would agree with you on this point including myself. However, cost of housing and quality of public schools are normally at the top of the list for any family. So if those two items aren't sufficiently met, then that makes another area with reasonable housing costs and acceptable public schools better overall for that family.
I agree with you Mark on that. And thats what I have said before and that was the reason for me moving here. As much as we liked CA and miss it, housing cost and public schools are the only two reasons which made us look outside bay area. And then looking at our careers Austin was THE only choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Plus, if I had a choice to live in Corona, Modesto, or a suburb of Austin, I would pick the suburb of Austin regardless of the cost of housing.
Yes public school wise Austin is better than Modesto, Corona. But that is like comparing apples to oranges. The real comparison would be Bay Area - Austin, Sacramento - Austin, LA - Austin, San Diego - Austin, LA - DFW, LA - Houston.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:38 AM

3,080 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
One couple moved from Boston to Austin. Why? The couldn't bear the cold winters. Do they like Austin? Not at all?. Then why did they move? Because they hated cold winters more than they hated Austin.
Huh, this makes no sense. There are scads of other "warm" places to move to if someone is simply looking to "get out of the cold". Why would they move to Austin if they "don't like Austin at all" or "hate Austin".

Quote:
So all I am trying to point is, that just because people are moving to Austin, doesn't mean they like it or they think Austin is better than the place where they used to live.
Well obviously there is some aspect that is better or they wouldn't have moved in the first place. And considering that many folks spend the majority of the waking lives at work, I don't see why this aspect would have diminished relevance when looking at terms like "better". For me, I love the SF Bay Area, however, given my current situation, Austin is truly "better" (for me) and the SF Bay area is not. Given a different situation, then the roles might be reversed, but I can't discount my current situation unless we want to talk purely about "in a perfect world ....."

Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Huh, this makes no sense. There are scads of other "warm" places to move to if someone is simply looking to "get out of the cold". Why would they move to Austin if they "don't like Austin at all" or "hate Austin".
Two reasons
1) the girls family lives in Austin
2) the guy could not find a job in other city. His company had a small office in Austin of all the warm cities.

Quote:
Well obviously there is some aspect that is better or they wouldn't have moved in the first place. And considering that many folks spend the majority of the waking lives at work, I don't see why this aspect would have diminished relevance when looking at terms like "better". For me, I love the SF Bay Area, however, given my current situation, Austin is truly "better" (for me) and the SF Bay area is not. Given a different situation, then the roles might be reversed, but I can't discount my current situation unless we want to talk purely about "in a perfect world ....."
That's what I am trying to say. I love Bay Area and would want to live my entire life there, if I had money to afford housing and kids private education. Now since I am not a millionaire, I have to look outside Bay Area. Austin the best choice for me in my circumstances. As was the case of all the examples I mentioned in previous post.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
Austin is by NO MEANS a warm weather city. Sure it's warm in the spring and fall months, and HOT during the summer, but it's downright COLD during the winter. Far colder than the bay area. Every year that I have lived here, the winters have become a little colder and less bearable. Overcast, windy, with rapid temperature fluctuations almost daily. Not a good environment if you have bad allergies.

Warm weather locations would be most locations along the gulf coast, San Diego, Phoenix, and most of Florida.

Quote:

Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 AM

152 posts, read 280,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Austin is by NO MEANS a warm weather city. Sure it's warm in the spring and fall months, and HOT during the summer, but it's downright COLD during the winter. Far colder than the bay area. Every year that I have lived here, the winters have become a little colder and less bearable. Overcast, windy, with rapid temperature fluctuations almost daily. Not a good environment if you have bad allergies.

Warm weather locations would be most locations along the gulf coast, San Diego, Phoenix, and most of Florida.

Far colder than the Bay Area? Average high Dec-March:

San Rafael: 56,56,61,64,

Austin: 62,60,65,73

Old 04-01-2011, 10:18 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Dang, there's those pesky facts again!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:38 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Dang, there's those pesky facts again!
That's okay. It's just a matter of time until someone posts that they enjoy Austin's cool winters, and eepstein will rant about how it's a "fact" that it's too warm and hot here.

I think someone kneejerk saying that Austin isn't a warm weather city, just so they can be disagreeable and negative, says more about the poster and less about the "facts".

Old 04-01-2011, 12:45 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
Maybe this is controversial but sophisticated people I know in California all say one thing, "If you're gonna move to Texas, then Austin is the ONLY real choice."
Sophisticated? That's hilarious.
More like going on old, stupid stereotypes (of Texas and of Austin).

Quote:
Weather COMPARED TO HOUSTON. Let me tell for once, "it's not as bad as houston"..!!
I've lived in both and think the Austin people GREATLY exaggerate the difference. They're a few hours away from each other, not on separate sides of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin