Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 PM

66 posts, read 202,596 times

Advertisements

It's possible our house might be larger than we thought, and if so, it would be good to know as we are going to put it on the market. I was thinking of hiring an appraiser to measure it, but I thought I'd measure it myself first to see what I get (e.g. if I get a smaller number I wouldn't bother hiring someone).

I've researched online how houses are measured but there sames to be a regional variation in practice. Does anyone know how houses are typically measured (e.g. by an appraiser) around here? Fortunately our house is a one-story with no stairs or basement.

Thanks so much,
Nina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 11:18 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_online View Post
It's possible our house might be larger than we thought, and if so, it would be good to know as we are going to put it on the market. I was thinking of hiring an appraiser to measure it, but I thought I'd measure it myself first to see what I get (e.g. if I get a smaller number I wouldn't bother hiring someone).

I've researched online how houses are measured but there sames to be a regional variation in practice. Does anyone know how houses are typically measured (e.g. by an appraiser) around here? Fortunately our house is a one-story with no stairs or basement.

Thanks so much,
Nina
Surprisingly we have had this discussion on city data before. Search it for square footage. Most of them started with people complaining that they bought a house that had less sq ft than advertised. Then austin-steve went into why it is ok and the different ways to measure.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 AM

66 posts, read 202,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Surprisingly we have had this discussion on city data before. Search it for square footage. Most of them started with people complaining that they bought a house that had less sq ft than advertised. Then austin-steve went into why it is ok and the different ways to measure.
Thanks for responding. Before posting I did a search ("measuring square footage" and "measure square footage") and only 1 of the 5 or 6 results was at all related but didn't have details. I've just gone through all 7 pages of results for "square footage" with no luck/ I don't suppose you remember anything ales about the thread to help me locate it?
Nina

Old 03-30-2011, 12:24 AM

844 posts, read 2,020,149 times
Here's one: https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...footage+austin

Here's another: https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ht=square+foot

Old 03-30-2011, 06:22 AM

574 posts, read 1,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_online View Post

Thanks so much,
Nina
Square footage is measured using the outside footprint of the home and broken down as:
  • Enclosed conditioned space I the space your heater and AC covers
  • Enclosed unconditioned space - Typically garages and enclosed porches/patios
  • Covered but open spaces - Front and rear porches, patios with just a cover over it, etc.
If you look at your local tax role data this is how they will break it down. To find your square footage, since you are one story:
  1. Create a floor plan of the entire home using the outside wall lengths and include all covered areas. This gives you an outline of the home.
  2. Using whatever method you are comfortable with calculate the entire area in the outlined diagram.
  3. Measure the inner surfaces of each area category above starting with the covered porches/patios, then the unconditioned enclosed spaces (list each enclosed space separately). For each one subtract it from the total area from #2 above. The conditioned area will be what is left.
This should get you within a very reasonable expectation of actual square footage of each category of area.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 AM

574 posts, read 1,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Actually what austin-steve kept stating was a huge disclaimer about how agents are not responsible for what is placed in the listing data and how agents are not responsible for helping clients figure these things out, yada, yada. So what are agents good for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: