Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 21,689 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a house and made an offer etc. The square footage quoted in the MLS does match the county tax records. The seller disclosure does not have any updates on record. Any explanations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 09:11 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
The MLS is required to say where the number came from. It has to be some kind of documented number. It should not just say "per owner". If it doesn't say it's per the tax records, other options are per the builder's plan, per an appraisal, or other, and then you need to find out what "other" means.

You don't buy a house dollar per sqft anyway, so it's going to be all about whether or not you like the house, and what the comparable sales are telling you.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
It is not uncommon to have a discrepancy. Could be from an addition that was never reported to the tax office. Believe it or not (search the threads for much more) there is not a standard way to report sq footage, builders do it one way, insurance companies, appraisals can do another, how are stairs counted? Closets? total inside dimensions? or heated space? it goes on and on.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:50 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lklizzy View Post
I am looking to buy a house and made an offer etc. The square footage quoted in the MLS does match the county tax records. The seller disclosure does not have any updates on record. Any explanations?
This has come up a few times on the board (crazy isnt it?). I recommend you do a search to pull up some of the old threads - they went on for many pages .

The real estate agents trying to convince us that it shouldnt matter if the sq ft listing is off by 20%. If we like the house we like the house.

The rest of us calling BS.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 AM
gdu

256 posts, read 699,710 times
Who cares? I'm not a real estate agent. I know how many sq ft the builder told me my house has. I have no idea if it's right or not. I know it's big enough for me.

No big deal unless it is off by alot.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:54 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
MLS and local appraisal districts are known to often be wrong. It's not a conspiracy... just depends on how accurate the information is that they have been provided.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:14 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdu View Post
Who cares? I'm not a real estate agent. I know how many sq ft the builder told me my house has. I have no idea if it's right or not. I know it's big enough for me.

No big deal unless it is off by alot.
right is 10% a lot, is 20% a lot? That is what the other threads discussed.

real estate agents tried to convince us it didnt matter. Obviously if it is 10 sq ft on a 2000 sq ft house no one is going to make a fuss. But 200 sq ft is a big deal.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:02 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Not uncommon at all. The square footage on the tax records for our house doesn't match what the builder has. And when we had an appraisal done for a refi, they came up with yet a third figure. Also, TCAD has our neighbors house listed at more square feet than ours, when in reality, it is the exact same floorplan and size.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Here area couple of the previous discussion threads on this topic.

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...oney-back.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ame-again.html

Here is an illustration I did showing how big a 20% error is.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:17 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,880 times
Oh, I know how this goes.

The previous owner of our house got an appraisal prior to sale that showed an extra 250 square feet.

But then they did the work of actually telling TCAD, which meant that our house was 250 square feet bigger than the other identical or near identical floor plans in the neighborhood.

TCAD *says* they don't just figure out a $/sq ft and multiply it by square feet but oddly enough that was the exact amount that our house was over the average. We had to wait until we refinanced to get a different bank appraisal that gave us a number closer to the original number, and then get it changed. They didn't want to either.

So maybe you're saying to yourself - hey, it's no big deal, TCAD won't find out. Well, if you ever protest your taxes, they will. And you probably will if you pay less for the house than what it's assessed at right now.

Be very, very careful, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: