Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 06:46 AM

170 posts, read 826,881 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

My partner and I just arrived in Austin, and one of our first priorities is to get a car for him. He's been in NYC all his adult life and so is now in the market for his first car ever!

We wanted to try to find an older Camry, Corolla or maybe an Accord (or something similar) for under $2k. It doesn't need to be beautiful, he just wants a basic first car he can get around in.

Where should we look? I looked on Craigslist but there were only one or two cars listed. Are there any used car dealerships that sell cars in this price range? Also, we're new to the Texas vehicle inspections, is there anything we should be aware of when buying a car in this price range with regard to passing inspection?

Thanks for the tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 07:21 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
You are going to have to pass an emissions test so I would watch for that.If you do find a car see if you can take it to a garage to have someone look at it. I am not sure where you are so I can say where but when we moved up here we went to Christian Brothers auto and it was a little pricey but they have always been honest with us and told us what can be done at home vs a pro needs to do it. Go luck and I hope the drive down was alright!

Old 04-02-2011, 08:58 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
Are you sure you had Craigslist set to Austin? There should be a ton of cars for you to look through. CL is my first place to look for something like that. Stay away from a dealer for a $2k car because you will be able to negotiate better with a private party.

At $2k the car will likely be older than 1996 meaning it will be OBD1 so you will NOT have to pass emissions. The inspection will check for adequate tires (legal limit is 2/32" of tread), all the lights work, parking brake works (pull the parking brake up all the way, put the car in drive, and LIGHTLY hit the accelerator. The car should stand still.) gas cap, wiper blades, horn.

Check for abnormal tire wear. If the inside or outside edge is worn much greater than the opposite you can count on ball joints or at least an alignment. I can tell you how to check but you'll need a jack.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I have an unhealthy obsession with cars and enjoy educating.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 AM

743 posts, read 1,372,240 times
Ditto about the Craig's List comment above. I would think you'd have a LOT more offerings in Austin on Craig's List. Might want to double-check.

There is also AutoTrader.com. Lots of dealers sell there, but so do individuals.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:04 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
Are you sure you had Craigslist set to Austin? There should be a ton of cars for you to look through. CL is my first place to look for something like that. Stay away from a dealer for a $2k car because you will be able to negotiate better with a private party.

At $2k the car will likely be older than 1996 meaning it will be OBD1 so you will NOT have to pass emissions.
You most certainly WILL in Travis County. The test is called "two-speed idle test." It will be done through tailpipe analysis instead of by tapping into the OBDII system. Texas Emissions Testing - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Has to be a diesel or 25 years old not to be emissions tested in Travis County.

At my repair shop we routinely do repairs to get pre-OBDII vehicles up to emissions standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
The inspection will check for adequate tires (legal limit is 2/32" of tread), all the lights work, parking brake works (pull the parking brake up all the way, put the car in drive, and LIGHTLY hit the accelerator. The car should stand still.) gas cap, wiper blades, horn.

Check for abnormal tire wear. If the inside or outside edge is worn much greater than the opposite you can count on ball joints or at least an alignment. I can tell you how to check but you'll need a jack.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I have an unhealthy obsession with cars and enjoy educating.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:24 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
You most certainly WILL in Travis County. The test is called "two-speed idle test." It will be done through tailpipe analysis instead of by tapping into the OBDII system. Texas Emissions Testing - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Has to be a diesel or 25 years old not to be emissions tested in Travis County.

At my repair shop we routinely do repairs to get pre-OBDII vehicles up to emissions standards.
I just did some research and I stand corrected. I haven't had an OBD1 vehicle since moving to TX but could have sworn when I was doing research on how many "not ready's" were allowed on OBD2 that I saw OBD1 vehicles only had to pass safety. I moved from MA and they got rid of the emissions testing on OBD1 vehicles a couple years ago. I think it had something to do with not wanting to pay for the software on the dynos. Kinda interesting that it is stricter in TX han MA.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:26 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Might also expand your search to SA. Sure, it's 80 miles away but certain resale items are cheaper there, and there might be more inventory.

Also check out consumer reports if you haven't already, they rate best used cars in the $X category... so you can find out what would be the most reliable used car for $2K.

BTW, Welcome to Austin! If you are looking for something to do this weekend, the Art festival downtown and Lonestar Custom Hot Rod festival are going on.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:39 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Might also expand your search to SA. Sure, it's 80 miles away but certain resale items are cheaper there, and there might be more inventory.

Also check out consumer reports if you haven't already, they rate best used cars in the $X category... so you can find out what would be the most reliable used car for $2K.

BTW, Welcome to Austin! If you are looking for something to do this weekend, the Art festival downtown and Lonestar Custom Hot Rod festival are going on.
And you DON'T want to be in a car there!!! I drove to Mellow Johnny's for a 9AM bike ride...no problem. Tried to leave around 11:30 and I got a taste of that Austin traffic everyone hates!!!

They even 'converted' the Farmers' Market 'free' parking garage into a $7/space money-maker(for SOMEone) . What a mess! Detours, closed roads, impatient drivers(and cyclists)...holy cow! Finally got to 6th street trying to get to the 'Mo' and it probably took a good 15 minutes .

Old 04-02-2011, 05:34 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
2k is a bad area for a Japanese used car. Any decent Japanese car even from the early 90's sells for more. You begin to find something decent but with high miles at 3k-5k with Japanese cars.
In the 2k price range you'd be better off getting an American beater but its my advice to be sure to get it checked out by a mechanic for any serious problems before purchasing

Old 04-02-2011, 06:45 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times
When you say Toyota or Honda, I just assume we are talking about a Sequoia, Tundra or Ridgeline. It should be quite easy to find those vehicles on craigslist. Accord or Corolla?? That's so UNAUSTIN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickasarbata View Post
Hey guys!

My partner and I just arrived in Austin, and one of our first priorities is to get a car for him. He's been in NYC all his adult life and so is now in the market for his first car ever!

We wanted to try to find an older Camry, Corolla or maybe an Accord (or something similar) for under $2k. It doesn't need to be beautiful, he just wants a basic first car he can get around in.

Where should we look? I looked on Craigslist but there were only one or two cars listed. Are there any used car dealerships that sell cars in this price range? Also, we're new to the Texas vehicle inspections, is there anything we should be aware of when buying a car in this price range with regard to passing inspection?

Thanks for the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin