Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 07:20 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,894 times

Advertisements

We have a large live oak in our back yard. Part of it touches power lines. I guess power doesn't travel through the lines? Would put a playscape under the canopy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 06:14 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Are these the power lines running from the main grid (trunk lines) to your house, or are the neighborhood trunk lines? In any case, it is really not a safe situation, although the electricity (as per my simple understanding) takes the path of least resistance, which is not normally through the tree but along the power line. There are a couple of risks, though - the tree could bridge two lines (if there are multiple ones) and cause them to short and maybe lead to a fire of electrocution hazard via the tree, or the wind could cause the branches to tear a line down (leaving it on the ground or play scape), or kids could climb the tree and make contact with the lines.

In any case, the power company will come out and give your tree a lobotomy, of sorts, to give the line some room. If you don't feel like having the tree removed or sheared, I would still not feel completely safe with a play scape under it. I think the power company will remove/trim it for free, and they may come out and do that anyway as soon as they notice during a regular inspection.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 AM

648 posts, read 1,964,894 times
Neighborhood lines.

I think we may move the playscape a bit, and, after oak wilt season, have the power company give the tree a haircut.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:47 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Must be Tarrytown. I don't know what their secret agreement is with Austin Electric, but in every other part of town the city will come and trim your trees well back from the powerlines.. whether you like it or not.

If you drive along Exposition, you'll see just how close they'll let it get. I'm not sure anywhere else in town looks like that, with the trees growing right around (or just inches from) the power lines.

Even if it's not a danger for electrocution, at the very least they are asking for real trouble in an ice storm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin