Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,053 times

Advertisements

Hi! I work for a company that's relocating from SF to Austin. They really want me to come and are offering incentives. The thing is, I'm really happy in San Francisco. I'm going to ask some pretty specific questions, hoping someone here has answers.

By the way, basic stats: early 20s, gay, never been to Texas.

I know cost of living in Austin is lower, but right now I don't own a car. Is it possible to live in Austin without a car? If not, this is (obviously) a significant new expense for me.

I've been told downtown is very walkable. Is it also significantly more expensive? In other words, if I live downtown to avoid owning a car, will the cost-of-living savings evaporate?

I've been scouting online for apartments and houses, just to see what typical rents are. I'm probably looking for a studio or 1-bedroom. Unfortunately, I have no idea where anything is, so it's hard to know what neighborhoods would be good for me.

I also don't know where our new office would be, and if I could get there easily from downtown or if I would need to drive. I know my boss wants me to picture myself in a cool, hip downtown area, biking to the office and the farmers market. I'm not sure if that would be the reality.

I also don't know anyone in Austin. I hear it's cool, but the prospect of moving to a new city where I have no friends (and being long-distance with my boyfriend) is kind of scary. Any insights/ advice would be very welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 02:43 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,528,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digndeeds View Post
Hi! I work for a company that's relocating from SF to Austin. They really want me to come and are offering incentives. The thing is, I'm really happy in San Francisco. I'm going to ask some pretty specific questions, hoping someone here has answers.

By the way, basic stats: early 20s, gay, never been to Texas.

I know cost of living in Austin is lower, but right now I don't own a car. Is it possible to live in Austin without a car? If not, this is (obviously) a significant new expense for me.

I've been told downtown is very walkable. Is it also significantly more expensive? In other words, if I live downtown to avoid owning a car, will the cost-of-living savings evaporate?

I've been scouting online for apartments and houses, just to see what typical rents are. I'm probably looking for a studio or 1-bedroom. Unfortunately, I have no idea where anything is, so it's hard to know what neighborhoods would be good for me.

I also don't know where our new office would be, and if I could get there easily from downtown or if I would need to drive. I know my boss wants me to picture myself in a cool, hip downtown area, biking to the office and the farmers market. I'm not sure if that would be the reality.

I also don't know anyone in Austin. I hear it's cool, but the prospect of moving to a new city where I have no friends (and being long-distance with my boyfriend) is kind of scary. Any insights/ advice would be very welcome.
Austin is not dense and compact like San Francisco, and our public transportation system is severely lacking, so you'll definitely want a car here. Downtown is walkable, but you'll still need a car to get to a lot of basic necessities (most of Downtown is offices, high rise residential, and bars and restaurants). I would definitely factor in the cost of a car if you come here.

I encourage you to visit Austin before making a decision to move here. The last thing you want to do is come here sight-unseen, wind up hating the city, and then become a crank like some of the regular posters on this message board. If you've lived in SF most of your life, you'll be in for some culture shock, as Austin is nothing like SF. (I've lived in SF before, FYI).

Old 04-04-2011, 03:02 PM

473 posts, read 1,328,534 times
10% state income tax in California.

0% in Texas.

Even if everything else were the same (which it isn't), this represents a major difference.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:08 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
My initial opinion is that the OP may find Austin to be a bit too much culture shock. Ask yourselves these questions to yourself to see if you might like it here:

1. Would you be willing to trade a year round moderately cool climate for a colder winter and a much hotter and longer summer? When I say hot, think Sacramento in July from May until October.
2. Would you be willing to trade good ethnic Chinese food for really great Barbeque and TexMex cuisine?
3. Would you be willing to give up the mountains?
4. Would you be willing to give up the cold Pacific Ocean that is doorsteps away for a warm Gulf of Mexico that is 4 hours away?
5. Would you be comfortable knowing that you are in a small pocket of liberalness (Austin) in a vast sea of conservatism (Texas), both fiscally and socially? The next nearest liberal oasis is New Orleans, 9 hours east.

If you answer yes to the above questions, I'll throw out five more.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:09 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,887,517 times
Visit first. It will be worth the $$$ even if you have to pay for it yourself, so you can see whether you will like it here.

While it's technically possible to live in certain neighborhoods without a car, it's VERY dependent on where you will be working. Austin is still a sunbelt city, after all, and is built for cars. On the plus side, it's a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to own a car here than in SF. Parking is (comparatively) plentiful and cheap. Gas is cheaper, registration and inspection is cheaper and easier, etc. Plus, it's really hot -- if you aren't acclimated, walking to everything in the summer can be quite uncomfortable.

The cool, hip areas you are looking for are South Congress/78704 area, near-in East Austin, downtown, Hyde Park, Rosedale, and North Loop.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:16 PM

844 posts, read 2,021,156 times
I will mention this also - while Austin has many, many gay folk throughout the city, there is no gay hub like the Castro in SF. Some people find that a bit of a shock when they move here also. I think if you're really happy in SF and especially since you're in a relationship there, there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to leave.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,053 times
Thanks for the great info. I should add that my boss has offered a trip out to Austin before I decide. I'll definitely be taking him up on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
My initial opinion is that the OP may find Austin to be a bit too much culture shock. Ask yourselves these questions to yourself to see if you might like it here:

1. Would you be willing to trade a year round moderately cool climate for a colder winter and a much hotter and longer summer? When I say hot, think Sacramento in July from May until October.
2. Would you be willing to trade good ethnic Chinese food for really great Barbeque and TexMex cuisine?
3. Would you be willing to give up the mountains?
4. Would you be willing to give up the cold Pacific Ocean that is doorsteps away for a warm Gulf of Mexico that is 4 hours away?
5. Would you be comfortable knowing that you are in a small pocket of liberalness (Austin) in a vast sea of conservatism (Texas), both fiscally and socially? The next nearest liberal oasis is New Orleans, 9 hours east.

If you answer yes to the above questions, I'll throw out five more.
1. I've lived in Sacramento/ the Central Valley, so I know what hot summers are like. Whether I want to live through another one is an open question.
2. Probably, yeah. I don't like Chinese that much
3. Yes.
4. Haha, yes. Though I will miss having the ocean so close.
5. I'd be okay with that. These are great questions by the way!!

Old 04-04-2011, 03:26 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digndeeds View Post
Thanks for the great info. I should add that my boss has offered a trip out to Austin before I decide. I'll definitely be taking him up on that.

1. I've lived in Sacramento/ the Central Valley, so I know what hot summers are like. Whether I want to live through another one is an open question.
2. Probably, yeah. I don't like Chinese that much
3. Yes.
4. Haha, yes. Though I will miss having the ocean so close.
5. I'd be okay with that. These are great questions by the way!!
RE: #1 Visit in August and that will put that answer to rest. Either you will be fine with the heat, or you'll never want to move here

I'll think of some more questions and post...

Old 04-04-2011, 03:35 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,267,628 times
If your office is downtown and you live downtown, then biking or even walking (hey, downtown Austin isn't really all that big ) isn't a big deal, _depending_ on how you deal with the weather. In other words, if the thought of walking/biking home in 90+ degree heat at 6pm isn't your cup of tea, then things might not work out for you. You are also within easy walking/riding distance to Zilker Park/Barton Creek/Ladybird Lake and the hiking/biking/rowing that is popular there.

There are also options such as "Cars2Go" if you wanted to go completely car-less but still think you might need the occasional use. Generally owning a car in Texas is cheaper (most significantly cheaper insurance, but also cheaper registration, inspection), so you could always purchase a less expensive car to keep the overall cost down.

Be warned that getting to any place else from downtown without a car can suck. It's a lot more like San Jose, lots of sprawl and infrastructure that favors drivers (though it's been a while since I lived out there so I don't know if things have improved with public transport since I've left).

Old 04-04-2011, 03:48 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,583,990 times
You really need a car. Austin is nothing like the Bay Area in terms of being able to get by without one. The layout of the city is not favorable for public transportation and as a result it is not well developed.

Personally, I wouldn't move away from my partner if you see yourselves together long-term, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin