Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:23 PM

30 posts, read 98,417 times

Advertisements

We are a family that wants to (really wants to) relocate to Austin and we want to know if we are crazy. We are looking for a ~1700 sqft, 4 bedroom (or 3 bedroom + office) single family house in a nice *somewhat* walkable neighborhood in close central Austin. You know, somewhere we can get a cup of coffee, maybe some donuts and a gallon of milk. The neighborhoods that should fit (but we admit that we don't know Austin too well) are Rosedale, Hyde Park, North Loop, Hancock, Upper Boggy Creek and possibly Central East Austin. We have to be north of the river because of commute, so Bouldin, Travis Heights etc don't seem like they will work (unfortunately). Oh, and we need all this without going too far north of $2000/month. So, I repeat, are we crazy? We've been looking on craigslist, trulia etc and haven't found anything that fits the bill.

The plan is to move in August, but we need to know now if this is feasible or not...

Some more info. We looked into some other neighborhoods (like Allandale, Brentwood and Crestview) and they didn't seem to fit the *somewhat* walkable bill. (Lamar and Burnett don't seem to be the great walking streets.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
There just isn't much housing stock in the central areas that have four bedrooms. Many 900 sq foot 2/1, you could find some 3/2 but certainly anything with four bedrooms will go for much more (students who pay rent per bedrooms).

Your best bet is probably Hyde Park -- something that students would normally rent. A lot of the best homes for rent in central Austin never go on the open market much less CL. Signs on the property, word of mouth, and local email lists.

I'd try working with a realtor, what you want exists in very small numbers and you won't have much luck finding it on your own.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:13 AM

675 posts, read 1,905,400 times
Also, you could look off 2222 - and turn right on Balcones. The streets just south of 2222 have some cool houses that are a bit larger, and in walking distance to a small coffee shop. As you go further south on Balcones the homes get super expensive.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 AM

centralaustinite, thanks for your quick reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
There just isn't much housing stock in the central areas that have four bedrooms. Many 900 sq foot 2/1, you could find some 3/2 but certainly anything with four bedrooms will go for much more (students who pay rent per bedrooms).
Yes, we have been looking and seeing a lot of smaller homes. We are in a pretty big house right now and are willing to downsize, but we really would have a hard time of losing one bedroom each for the kids and an extra office / art room for us.

Quote:
Your best bet is probably Hyde Park -- something that students would normally rent.
We have been looking at houses geared for students. There is a lot of 5 bedrooms for $3000 ("that's only $600 per room!") ads, especially in the Hyde Park area. One thing I was wondering is if there is a bunch of housing churn in the summer months because of UT. (???) Again, we would be coming in August, what we need to know now is, will we be able to find something or not.

Quote:
A lot of the best homes for rent in central Austin never go on the open market much less CL. Signs on the property, word of mouth, and local email lists.
Unfortunately we are out of town so, the signs on property is a bit difficult (again, since we are just trying to judge the feasibility - we will do more extensive visiting when the time comes). Word of mouth, well that's what this posting is for. And can you clarify what local email lists might mean. Any pointers there would be wonderful!

Quote:
I'd try working with a realtor, what you want exists in very small numbers and you won't have much luck finding it on your own.
I am guessing from your above paragraph you would mean the best approach would be to use a realtor, but compliment that with my own search (since a lot never go on the open market (or CL)).

Old 04-20-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Also, you could look off 2222 - and turn right on Balcones. The streets just south of 2222 have some cool houses that are a bit larger, and in walking distance to a small coffee shop. As you go further south on Balcones the homes get super expensive.
Raskolnikov, we'll keep that area in mind. Thanks.

Keep 'em coming!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 AM

648 posts, read 1,964,894 times
I agree with Central. A bedroom for each kid is a luxury of this generation. Bunk them up Brady Bunch style.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:43 AM

648 posts, read 1,964,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umaboshi View Post
There is a lot of 5 bedrooms for $3000 ("that's only $600 per room!") ads, especially in the Hyde Park area.

Those are homes broken up and remodeled for students. We call them quasi dorms. VERY small common areas.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:54 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,334,442 times
I think you're wrong to exclude Allandale. That's the one area where you can actually find a four bedroom house. And Burnet is perfectly walkable.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Many neighborhood associations in Austin (not HOAs, completely different creatures) have email lists, central neighborhoods tend to be particularly active, and that is where a lot people let neighbors know that homes are available for rent. A real top-notch realtor will have good neighborhood contacts and at least some access to these type of private listings, a realtor will also know what houses are for sale where the owners might also be interested in leasing.

Definitely re-consider Allandale and also some areas of NW Hills like the houses on Graystone are walkable to schools, retail and library etc on Far West. The homes there will also be bigger. I live south of the river, so I can't help you directly but a solid realtor with years of experience in the areas that you are interested in can!

Old 04-20-2011, 11:56 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
I think you're wrong to exclude Allandale. That's the one area where you can actually find a four bedroom house. And Burnet is perfectly walkable.
Agreed, of course Rosedale would be the preference for me due to the proximity to Central Market (unfortunately out of your price range for the size house you want), but I'm wondering how North Loop would make the list and Allandale wouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin