Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2007, 08:48 AM

27 posts, read 126,118 times

Advertisements

Hello-

I'm new to Round Rock (one week), the day after moving into a 3 year old property, I notice several very, very small black ants mainly in the kitchen. The next day we are able to get the house and yard "treated". The service man says to give it up to 2 weeks to work & call him back if I still see them. He also says it may get a little worse (which it has) before it gets better. Does this sound right? The ants are very annoying. Should I try another exterminator? Also, how often should one exterminate? I'm still seeing several outside as well. I'm not liking this! Does anyone have any hints on how to get rid of them?? All input greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 09:13 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Dunno about particulars, but 'exterminating' often causes quite a bit of activity before the bugs leave or die, so I think the 'seeing more before seeing less' jibes wiith what I have heard.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:18 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times
He's right. It may take several treatments (it did for us) and it will get worse before it gets better.

The good news is those ants are harmless (some people call them sugar ants) - not that you want them, but they won't attack you like red ants... but the bad news is that they are hard to get rid of, and they will never be gone completely - they will be gone from your home - but it will take consistant extermination (at least every quarter) to keep them out. Getting rid of them outside is pointless - just worry about the barrier to your home.

What they should be doing : spraying outside, spraying along the baseboards inside and stuffing the weepholes. They should also have, and hopefully give you a tube of, ant bait that is clear liquid they will put on the areas that appear may be a trail from inside. They will take it back to whereever they live and eat it and die. Our exterminator gave us one for free to use in between spraying - and they will also come out and spray at any time, in between scheduled visits, for free.

It has taken us 3 treatments to get rid of the little black ants from the home. AND consistant cleaning on our part. One time, some spilled orange juice brought them back in after having been gone for a bit - but cleaning the area well, and applying the ant bait near the baseboard from where it seemed like they were coming - worked for us, right away.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:20 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,805 times
Here in California when we had a bad ant problem, we had a mega spary of the inside and outside of the home and then they came back and sparyed every 60 days. That finally worked.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:00 AM

21 posts, read 112,378 times
We had a huge ant problem in our previous place here in Calif. We had an exterminator come out and spray every couple of months. We just couldn't find the source. Upon moving out, we finally found the source. There was a crack in the floor in the garage and that is where they were coming from.

In our next home in CA, we started to have a problem and we immediately found the source and rather call the exterminator, we tried Grants Ant Stakes. OMG, that did it and we never saw an ant again.

The thing with Grant Ant Stakes, we poured boiling water on the stakes before sitting them down and that seemed to help them work better.

Good luck!

Old 08-03-2007, 12:39 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,964 times
For sugar ants cinnamon also works. they won't cross it. Looks funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin