Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:50 AM

22 posts, read 95,435 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be visiting Austin for the first time. He is interviewing with Samsung for a prospective job. We are a young family with a pre-school age child and another one on the way.
We only have 2-3 days to explore Austin with the prospect of moving from the East Coast.

I am completely ignorant about Austin so please bear with me.

What neighborhoods should we visit in our short time?
Here are my interests:
-family friendly area
-parks and pools
-walkable areas or good-public transportation
-house to rent preferred over apartment or condos with a budget of $1500 for a 2-3 bdrm
-30 minute max commute to work for my husband

Is Downtown Austin an area I should consider looking for a home? Are there only condos and apartments available within that budget?

How about Hyde Park? From what I read it looks like it might be way over our budget.

Is Crestview a neighborhood worth visiting? The commuter train to downtown seems ideal.

Thank you for any suggestions or advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 02:32 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
All of the areas you mentioned are out of your price range and a pretty fair distance from Samsung. Generally speaking, Austin is not a walk-able city, especially compared to the Northeast. And our public transportation system is laughable at best. BTW, I'm from the Northeast too, and I heave yet to get used to this despite being here for years.

Samsung itself is not the best part of town. I would look into areas around Round Rock, Brushy Creek, and perhaps Avery Ranch.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:14 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,504 times
A house for $1500 in Hyde Park doesn't sound crazy to me,

Moderator cut: real estate link

Last edited by Bo; 06-16-2011 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: Can't post RE links in the forum, even if it's just to illustrate your point.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:42 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
A house for $1500 in Hyde Park doesn't sound crazy to me, actually.
You must be from a wealthy area, I won't ask which one of the likely suspects (California or NYC)?

And (boy), please, don't tell me you're from "Peoria"..that won't sell..!!

Last edited by Bo; 06-16-2011 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: Updated quote to match original.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
It's also possible you might find something in Crestview/Brentwood - I'd check the MLS to be sure, but it's having fits, so you might want to check yourself at Austin Home Search. (http://www.austinhomesearch.com/Static/homeset.aspx - broken link)

Old 06-16-2011, 05:40 PM

22 posts, read 95,435 times
Anyone have any thoughts about Crestview? I found a couple of homes for rent with 3 br for under $1500.

One thing I forgot to ask earlier. How much is the average cost of air conditioning during the hot months to cool a small home or large apartment?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:10 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,002 times
Does it need to be in Central Austin? Samsung is NE of Austin on Parmer. The Wells Branch or Harris Branch subdivisions would be an easier commute and more likely to have houses in your price range. You'd need a car though.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:50 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
The area around Samsung isn't really bad at all. It just might not meet all the criteria that you are looking for. Pioneer Crossing is one community that is pretty well established and nice. Only problem is the schools aren't particularly great. Harris Branch is another community, with parks and pool, but again, not really sure about the schools. But you're renting, and your children are young, so you can move if they don't suit your needs. There isn't any great public transportation, especially near Samsung. Sorry. Might want to also check out Pflugerville and Round Rock, since he'll be working in NE Austin. Pflugerville in particular might meet your needs -- Blackhawk and Falcon Pointe are two neighborhoods along FM 685 that are master planned communities (with parks and pools) and are zoned to great schools. $1500 can get you something. Also, they are close to a large shopping center so you can, if you're adventurous and/or fit, walk to it..that's about as walkable as it's going to get. If you are wanting that Austin thing that the media conjures up - "funky" homes, etc. -- then there are some places in Austin proper..but again, not sure about schools.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:57 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
You must be from a wealthy area, I won't ask which one of the likely suspects (California or NYC)?

And (boy), please, don't tell me you're from "Peoria"..that won't sell..!!

I didn't mean not-crazy in some universal sense, merely not-crazy in the local rental market sense.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:06 PM

40 posts, read 111,234 times
Crestview for family? I don't know about that. If you want a community with swimming pool, parks etc. , I agree with mm57553 with everything he/she said, Brushy Creek (great schools), Avery Ranch (Cedar Park and West Round Rock) - great schools- or Teravista (be careful with schools) will be the way to go. If you live in Austin, you need a car PERIOD unless you live in one of those high rises downtown. But Austin is so well developed that no matter what part of town you live in, you will have grocery stores, restaurants, cafe, shopping opportunities in close proximity.

You might be able to rent a house in Hyde Park, but you will give a lot in size and style. If you want most for your money, move consider north side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin