Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:26 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
BC is 45 minutes from the AISD offices on West 5th Street during both rush hours (using MOPAC & the Tollway).

MY DIL has been doing that commute for 6 years.

Sprawl? I'm good with it...not everybody wants to live in an overpriced beehive.
Look out, neighbor! Them's fightin' words with SOME of our C-D fans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 04:30 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Look out, neighbor! Them's fightin' words with SOME of our C-D fans!
I've lived dowtown on 18th street near Guadalupe in an apartment. Beeen there, done that.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:49 AM

58 posts, read 135,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Davro View Post
Ok, let's try it this way

I don't have particular neighbourhood names, they don't show on the realtor type sites. But most of what I'm looking at is directly SE of the river, or NW just above what looks like the 'city' (Or is that referred to as downtown in US cities? I don't know), but still south of 183 and east of N-MOPac.
I'm in the area that Capt said that he wouldn't live in - south(east) of 183 but east of I35.

That being said, I like it over here. Some parts are a bit rough and amenities are a little lacking. However, I see new growth/improvements: new apartment complex on MLK along the rail line, upgrades to the golf course, possibly a new community center, new side walks, new restaurants etc. Mueller amenities are really nice. Highland Mall is being taken over by Austin Community College, which hopefully will bring more amenities. The traffic in this area is not bad and it is extremely easy to get to downtown (less than 15 minutes) and other parts of the metro.

However, property crime/assaults are still an issue. Some corners, like 12th and Chicon, are drug corners. Houses are older but it's not uncommon to see a tear-down next to a brand new $325K home.

Before jumping in and buying, rent for a bit (6 or 9 months leases are common), and that way you aren't stuck. I rented in an area and 9 months later bought a great little house about a mile from the rental.

The July issue of Austin Monthly has an article for the 22 best places to live in Austin. It does have a lot of areas that you are looking at. I'm not sure if they have an online version of the magazine, but maybe they have something where you can get a particular article.

Austin Monthly

Good luck.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 AM

34 posts, read 79,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You seem to have overlooked my previous post where I clearly indicated what areas I would avoid.
Actually, no I rated it as well. Cheers!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milytaylor View Post
I'm in the area that Capt said that he wouldn't live in - south(east) of 183 but east of I35.
Actually you are misquoting me. You imply that I nixed everything East of IH-35, which is not correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Places I would never want to live (*again).

Rundburg Lane/Rutland Drive
Springdale Road/Manor Road*
Riverside Drive East of IH-35*
Dove Springs
Anywhere around the triangle made by Hwy 183, Hwy 290 and IH-35.
The areas further south of Hwy. 290 are improving, especially around Mueller, and I think will continue to do so, as are East central Austin. I specifically did not list those areas because I know they have improved.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:08 AM

34 posts, read 79,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
And this is new construction? SE of the river is going to be sketchy with poor schools and possibly in the flight path of the airport.

NW sounds like Allendale Estates II (north of Anderson and south of 183) and possibly the Highland area. Good chance for appreciation in that area but some homes will be close to Runburg/Rutland which is a pretty rough neighborhood for Austin, closer to Mopac will be much better than closer to I35.

You need to rent for 6 months to a year. Also, don't use Trulia -- full of location lies, houses off of 130 that are mapped as through they are downtown!

Use Austinhomesearch
No. Existing homes. One or two factory->apartments type things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
When you say SE of the river, can you give us another reference point?
Um... Not as far out as travis county. Sorry, I really don't know too much to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I liked Brushy Creek but it's a loooong way from central Austin - but everywhere affordable is. Spraaaaaaaawl.
Yeahhh, I'm expecting a little bit of sprawl to be honest, as long as I can grab a cab to where the action is that's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milytaylor View Post

That being said, I like it over here. Some parts are a bit rough and amenities are a little lacking. However, I see new growth/improvements: new apartment complex on MLK along the rail line, upgrades to the golf course, possibly a new community center, new side walks, new restaurants etc. Mueller amenities are really nice. Highland Mall is being taken over by Austin Community College, which hopefully will bring more amenities. The traffic in this area is not bad and it is extremely easy to get to downtown (less than 15 minutes) and other parts of the metro.

However, property crime/assaults are still an issue. Some corners, like 12th and Chicon, are drug corners. Houses are older but it's not uncommon to see a tear-down next to a brand new $325K home.

Before jumping in and buying, rent for a bit (6 or 9 months leases are common), and that way you aren't stuck. I rented in an area and 9 months later bought a great little house about a mile from the rental.

The July issue of Austin Monthly has an article for the 22 best places to live in Austin. It does have a lot of areas that you are looking at. I'm not sure if they have an online version of the magazine, but maybe they have something where you can get a particular article.

Austin Monthly

Good luck.
Yeah. Before having nice homes, I had crappy homes where going to the store meant possibly getting mugged. I'm in no rush to repeat that.

Thank you for the link, I'll see if my wife can grab a copy.

---

By the way when I say homes, for me that also means apartments, just In case there was any confusion.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:13 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
You're really asking the question backwards. It would more beneficial to simply ask "which areas would be most highly recommended for purchasing a home $125K or lower?"

My vote would be Leander. There are, at present, about 30 house that are at least 3/2 with a garage listed for $125K or less.

Steve
Steve,
I don't understand why you would solely recommend Leander, but not Cedar Park, Round Rock or Pflugerville. All three places offer homes that are 125K or less. Pflugerville, in particular, has two older established neighborhoods that have smaller homes in the 125K price range. Definitely comparable to Leander, and closer in too. Leander isn't that close unless you take the Metrorail, and then that's an hour ride. Most people who live in Leander have to rise early in the morning/leave early in the evening due to the commute.

I agree, why live in a dodgy neighborhood just to be in town? It's like living in a dumpy area of Manhattan just to say you have a 212 area code...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin