Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,687,064 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job in Liberty Hill. It is more rural / remote than what I would like as far as a place to live. We have tossed around the idea of living in Cedar Park or in an area of N. Austin with easy access to 183. Can anyone give an idea of how long the commute would be from these areas? Also, any input on Cedar Park as far as a place to live would be appreciated.

We are a family with two very young children, so good schools are important. I personally am not into suburban life, but if it would make life much easier as far as my husband's commute, I would consider Cedar Park or other suburbs. He would prefer no more than 30 minutes each way. Any and all suggestions on neighborhoods or towns would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,871 times
Cedar Park or Leander would be a good compromise. It would be a reverse commute as most people live out further out and then commute into Austin where the jobs are. Both Cedar Park and Leander are in the Leander school district and have excellent schools. They are both suburban living. Liberty Hill is getting more rural.

My initial thought would be to get a house in Cedar Park or even Leander (even though they are both suburban living, you're going to get more for your money and his commute will be shorter) and just drive into Austin when you need some entertainment. You could live further into Austin along the 183 corridor, but I'm not sure what the advantage would be, as you would get less house for your money and then have to start looking harder at what schools you were zoned to. It would still be suburban living, strip malls, just a longer commute and more traffic. It doesn't really start getting into a "hip urban" Austin until you get more central towards downtown.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Cedar Park or Leander would be a good compromise. It would be a reverse commute as most people live out further out and then commute into Austin where the jobs are. Both Cedar Park and Leander are in the Leander school district and have excellent schools. They are both suburban living. Liberty Hill is getting more rural.

My initial thought would be to get a house in Cedar Park or even Leander (even though they are both suburban living, you're going to get more for your money and his commute will be shorter) and just drive into Austin when you need some entertainment. You could live further into Austin along the 183 corridor, but I'm not sure what the advantage would be, as you would get less house for your money and then have to start looking harder at what schools you were zoned to. It would still be suburban living, strip malls, just a longer commute and more traffic. It doesn't really start getting into a "hip urban" Austin until you get more central towards downtown.
Thanks for the input. I don't really care about the "hip urban" living as much as being closer to amenities. It seems like Cedar Park has everything a family might need access to on a routine basis. Good to know about the school situation as far as Leander ISD vs. Austin ISD.

Do you have any idea on the commute time? According to mapquest it's about 20 mins between Cedar Park and Liberty Hill. That would be fantastic, particularly since he'd be driving opposite the masses and will likely have some flexibility in terms of being able to commute during off-peak times.

Generally speaking, is traffic bad in Cedar Park? It always seemed worse in the suburbs when I lived there (many) years ago.

We will probably be renting initially, until we get a feel for where we'd like to settle longer term. I'd like to avoid having to switch schools down the road if at all possible though.

Thanks again!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:41 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
from 1431 Cedar Park about 15 min drive to LH, From the Anderson Mill Cedar Park area about 30 mins unless taking toll. Either Cedar Park or Leander would seem to "fit" what you are looking for. Not sure what size and amount you are looking to spend but maybe Block House Creek or something right on the cities lines might work for you.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
from 1431 Cedar Park about 15 min drive to LH, From the Anderson Mill Cedar Park area about 30 mins unless taking toll. Either Cedar Park or Leander would seem to "fit" what you are looking for. Not sure what size and amount you are looking to spend but maybe Block House Creek or something right on the cities lines might work for you.
Thanks for the input. It does sound like the Cedar Park area might be worth the shorter commute. I will look into Block House Creek.

As for what we are looking for - ideally a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom (or slightly more) house with a nice yard, maybe around 2000 square feet or slightly bigger. Our budget for a rental would be approx $1500 - $2000 / month.

I see that you are in Leander....how do you like it there so far? Thanks!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:15 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
You might consider Avery Ranch, even though it is within the city limits of Austin. Homes on the west end of the rather large development would be of the size you are looking for. Very easy access to 183/183A or Parmer Ln/Ronald Reagan Blvd to head toward LH or, in the opposite direction, to head toward Austin. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
You might consider Avery Ranch, even though it is within the city limits of Austin. Homes on the west end of the rather large development would be of the size you are looking for. Very easy access to 183/183A or Parmer Ln/Ronald Reagan Blvd to head toward LH or, in the opposite direction, to head toward Austin. Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion - we will look into Avery Ranch. I am compiling a list of neighborhoods now.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
You also might want to look at Georgetown. It's a straight shoot 12 miles down 29 to Liberty Hill, and it certainly has all the amenities you might want, plus it's an easy drive into Austin via 3 different routes (I35, 130, Parmer). You might even find a home off 29 that splits the difference.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You also might want to look at Georgetown. It's a straight shoot 12 miles down 29 to Liberty Hill, and it certainly has all the amenities you might want, plus it's an easy drive into Austin via 3 different routes (I35, 130, Parmer). You might even find a home off 29 that splits the difference.
Georgetown looks to be pretty far out. Are the schools there good? The main concern with moving further away is that there is no guarantee on how long my husband would be at the LH job. Obviously we would hope for it to be many many years, but if he ever had to switch jobs and begin working in Austin, then we would either be stuck with a very long commute, or having to move again. Of course there might be other jobs in the Georgetown / Round Rock area in his field too if that situation ever arose. We will go ahead and keep it in mind. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 06-27-2011, 05:20 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
I still say Leander or CP is your best bet. Far North Austin isn't appreciably different/better than CP and a short reverse commute is a luxury most people in this area can only dream about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin