Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:34 PM

5 posts, read 11,829 times

Advertisements

Thank you in advance for you comments. I am a thirty-something Stay-at-home mom of 3 (ages 6,5,2) and my hubby has been relocated to Austin from Orlando. We are very excited about our new adventure, however, we don't know where to live! The NW corridor works great for my DH's commute (183/mopac/research park) and I am being directed there based on school ratings. We would like a new home, 3,000+ sq ft home with the best schools around. Our budget is 400k. We also are an active family so shops, restaurants, parks, etc. are a must. My realtor keeps sending me AMAZING home listings in Crystal Falls? What gives...great prices,beautiful homes! I have also found homes I like in Ranch at Brushy Creek, Steiner and Behrens Ranch. Out of the aforementioned neighborhoods, do any stick out as better than another? Any opinions on Crystal Falls?

Thanks so much! I'll be asking lots more advice over the course of the move. I am so thankful to have found this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 10:01 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
I think the only way that you're going to get a good feel on these neighborhoods is to visit. They're all nice, but the schools will vary.

I personally would rule out Crystal Falls because it's pretty far out distance wise. Yes, the toll road makes it more accessible, but it's out there. All of these neighborhoods will have excellent Elementary schools. It's the Middle and High Schools that you'll really need to look at if you're planning on staying there for a long time. That will be the eye opener for you. Vandegrift High School will be a much different experience than Leander High School for your kids.

I think it's a toss up with Ranch At Brushy Creek, Steiner, and Behrens. If all was equal, you'll arguably get the best schools all the way up to High School in Steiner and I'm sure the prices reflect that. With that said, I live very close to Brushy Creek/Behrens so I know how you can literally go one mile in a different direction and see a different type of school. It's all relative I guess as all the schools can be considered good in this area, but there are a few that definitely wouldn't be called "the best". Just be sure to look at Middle Schools and High Schools and not just Elementary.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:44 AM

Thank u Mark311! We know nobody in Austin so your input is appreciated. Isn't Leander High School for the Steiner kids as well? It is just amazing what you can get in Crystal Falls, but I am looking for the "total package" when it comes to schools! Winkley is exemplary but the reviews on other web sites are fair at best.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:07 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
Steiner kids go to Vandergift HS in Leander ISD. Crystal Falls is a nice area and not to far out. As a mom, almost everything you will be using on a day to day basis is with in about a 15 min drive of your area. The schools for Crystal Falls are good schools. I have friends that live over in The Ranch at Brushy Creek and its a good area very kid friendly and about 4 miles from C. Falls. Only problem I see there is that your backyard might be a waterpark forecast to be built. Berhens Ranch is Round Rock ISD don't know much about that. Steiner is a fine area but lots of traffic to get out of there and back. Leander ISD has good schools all round not just Steiner area. Mr. works at 183/Mopac and makes a drive to Crystal Falls, no toll in about 20 min.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:39 AM

Thank you Neddy! Do you live in Crystal Falls? Are there any other family friendly new communities I'm not touching on?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:45 AM

439 posts, read 1,256,932 times
Ok I have lived 2 years now so I can help. We just went thru this house hunting search. I live in Behrens Ranch and love it here. It is very kid friendly, schools are great and lots of other nice neighborhoods on either side of us to look at too. Wood glen is to my left and Walsh Ranch on our right.

C falls is too far out IMO and Steiner has only one way in and way out. Steiner is too far from the airport or any major toll you might need to get on. Lot's of traffic, but It is a beautiful area.

IMO, don't look at anything on the east side. We looked at both east and west from Georgetown to Pflugerville and we like all the homes on the west side only. Many parts of Pflugerville seemed junky to us and the taxes are higher. Another nice area is Avery Ranch. Also Austin home Search website was a great help for me to see lots of homes without a realtors help. We used a realtor once we got there to do serious looking, but I came prepared with homes I wanted to see.

my 2 cents, Debbie

Last edited by Taterhead; 07-10-2011 at 08:58 AM..

Old 07-10-2011, 09:53 AM

136 posts, read 328,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
...Steiner has only one way in and way out. Steiner is too far from the airport or any major toll you might need to get on. Lot's of traffic, but It is a beautiful area.
I agree with this. Steiner is in a beautiful area, and is closer to some popular spots for recreation, whether it be in town, or out in the Hill Country. BUT, the traffic there can be bad and dangerous. It essentially only has one way in/out. I personally abhor that intersection, and it's only going to become more dangerous with Randall's going in.

Regardless, just be sure to visit each area during different times of the day so you can get a good feel for it. And (LOL) don't ask your agent to accompany you during rush hour.

EDIT to Add: For working in the 183/mopac/research park area, I would think Steiner may prove a bit frustrating for that morning/evening commute. RR620, FM2222 & 360 can be really frustrating during rush hour (or even just the middle of any day) with all the lights. I think your better choices would be to stick north/northwest of his work area.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:54 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Wood Glen is nice...had a friend that lived there. I live East so am a bit offended by Taterheads " everything East of 35 is a dump". Guess he doesn't know that there are a couple of areas East that have homes just like the ones in Wood Glen. But, I digress because they wouldn't be near where you need to be anyway. Crystal Falls is a nice area

Old 07-10-2011, 02:13 PM

Thank you so much for all the replies! I am leaning toward the house in Ranch at Brushy Creek. The only downside is the yard is really small. Besides that, its a dream home. I am still going to check out Crystal Falls and Round Rock as well. I just want to be centrally located to all the things around. Thanks again!

Old 07-10-2011, 03:06 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texorbust View Post
Thank you so much for all the replies! I am leaning toward the house in Ranch at Brushy Creek. The only downside is the yard is really small. Besides that, its a dream home. I am still going to check out Crystal Falls and Round Rock as well. I just want to be centrally located to all the things around. Thanks again!
There is much to like about Ranch @ Brushy Creek; but, you can't really walk to anything except the Brushy Creek Trail/Park and one gas station. Anything else requires some sort of vehicle(I include bicycles as vehicles). If you were to consider Avery Ranch, you have a bit more in the way of conveniences within a mile or so...banks, drug stores, restaurants, cleaners, etc(with sidewalks to connect). Also, Avery Ranch has 5 amenities centers spread throughout the neighborhood. Just something to consider.

There was quite a bit of discussion re: Crystal Falls during the '09-'10 time frame when many questions were raised about the builder(s) who would remain viable in the development. That could explain some of the 'deals' for nicer looking homes in that area. Avery was much closer to completion when we bought three years ago; CF was having all sorts of problems. I'm not sure how you can get a good handle on the 'future' out there. CF is on the 'edge' of the hill country and you can get some views that are pretty nice. On the other hand, both Avery and R@BC have easy access to the Brushy Creek Trail/Park/Lake.

The commute should be a major factor. While CF looks really close on a map, the times listed on their home page should be questioned. For example, their estimate of 35 minutes to ABIA(the airport) must have been calculated at three o'clock on a Sunday morning . With the lights, it could take 15 minutes just to get to the toll road, never mind the actual 32 miles from CF to ABIA...not usually a 35 minute trip in Austin traffic .

If you absolutely love the house in CF and you need more than the typical 1/3-1/2 acre available 'closer in' AND hubby doesn't mind sitting in traffic a bit more, Crystal Falls might have just what you need. It's a 'blessing and a curse' that we have so much available in north-north Austin, Cedar Park, Leander and the surrounding area...plenty of newer, spacious, well-appointed homes...almost too many to choose from! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin