Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:52 PM

61 posts, read 147,712 times

Advertisements

So we've been in cedar park for nearly 3 weeks now, and we've seen a lot but I feel like we're missing some nice stuff we should see. We've been to the capital(gorgeous) we've gone to downtown for a night out(fun) we went to barton springs pool and chose lady bird lake on the side so my pup could come. I've been to the wholefoods flagship or should I say whole paycheck. Store is amazing!!!! Let's see what else.... Traveled down to the puddle left of lake travis at the end by the cedar park boat ramp. Needless to say I started turning off the water in the shower to wash my hair and shave my legs and brush my teeth. We've been to round rock donuts (OMG that place is amazing!!!!) I know there is sooooo much more to do, I have my in-laws-to-be coming next weekend, and my best friend coming in a month. Where else can I take them? I'm going to head to hamilton pool this weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 10:33 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,704,369 times
I'm not even sure where to start Should I start North to South or South to North? And how far are you willing to venture? Some of the other fun things to do are outside of Austin, but within a day trip distance. If I started from North of Austin, there are some things in Waco worth a visit and South of Austin...guess I'd start as far as San Antonio and work my way up! West of Austin/SW Actually...Fredericksburg or maybe Kerrville and environs and East as far as Brenham.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:20 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Well, the cows are downtown this week...CowParade Austin

If you like sporty driving(not too fast, mind you), the trip out 1431 to Marble Falls has some nice whoop-dee-doos as you cruise into the hill country...AND Lake Marble Falls actually has water!(I think)

If we get some 'normal' temperatures, the Austin Steam Train might be a fun trip...Austin Steam Train Association

Again, if the weather cooperates, a Round Rock Express game could be fun!...
Team Schedule | Round Rock Express Schedule

If you want to sweat(more), the Austin Cycling group has plenty of rides; one Saturday from Cedar Park...Austin Cycling Association | Austin Cycling Association promotes access, education, safety and enjoyment of cycling in Central Texas.

I usually drive into town on Sat AM to ride from Mellow Johnny's. This week's ride goes into parts of town that us 'northlanders' might not visit on a regular basis...

+- Scout-a-route Southern Culture Off The Grid
07/30 (Sat) 8:30am D-2 20 mi

The Scout-A-Route rides are co-hosted by Mellow Johnny’s and the Austin Cycling Association. This no-drop, co-ed group ride is perfect for the cyclist new to riding or bike commuting, returning to the bike or just looking for a more casual ride. The routes are designed to help riders navigate the city bike routes and other safe bike commuting options. We average 12mph for distances between 15-25 miles. These rides are intended for exploring, so leave your heart rate monitor at home, bring some spare dollars for the occasional refreshment stop and enjoy the view. For a pre-ride coffee, meet a half hour before ride time at Juan Pelota Café.
A Scout-A-Route Favorite - Today, we head south of downtown via Bouldin, roll through the Emerald Forest and return via Forest Wood and Robert E Lee. Today's Bike Routes: 31, 82, 84, 25, 11, 64, and 33. These are 2 ways to get from Dittmar north across Lady Bird Lake.

Start Location: Mellow Johnny's Contact: David Stevens,

The Inner Space Caverns on IH35 in Georgetown would be a way to beat the heat for a while. Very cool caverns discovered when they were designing the route for IH35.

I recommend that you get hold of an Entertainment Book(2011 copies are really cheap now...still plenty of time to get the value from them). It has attractions and restaurants all over the area at a significant discount.

There's PLENTY of Austin-y stuff that we've barely touched on in three years here. All sort of festivals, farmers' markets, runs, rides, etc. Do check out the F2M market outside of Lakeline Mall each Saturday AM...
Cedar Park Farms to Market
and/or check out the 4th Street Farmers' Market(don't know the actual name)...right across the street from Mellow Johnny's on Sat morning!

You might check on Hamilton Pool...without rain, I understand the 'experience' can be less impressive...COULD even be closed. That's a bit of a drive...the fallback destination would be Krause Springs, farther west; but I'll bet it is super crowded on a 100 degree weekend! Krause Springs - Spicewood, TX

We might even have dancing in the streets IF we get the rain they're hoping for this weekend!

So much STUFF...and only 24 hours in a day!!! Have fun!!!

Old 07-28-2011, 07:19 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMor2 View Post
So we've been in cedar park for nearly 3 weeks now, and we've seen a lot but I feel like we're missing some nice stuff we should see. We've been to the capital(gorgeous) we've gone to downtown for a night out(fun) we went to barton springs pool and chose lady bird lake on the side so my pup could come. I've been to the wholefoods flagship or should I say whole paycheck. Store is amazing!!!! Let's see what else.... Traveled down to the puddle left of lake travis at the end by the cedar park boat ramp. Needless to say I started turning off the water in the shower to wash my hair and shave my legs and brush my teeth. We've been to round rock donuts (OMG that place is amazing!!!!) I know there is sooooo much more to do, I have my in-laws-to-be coming next weekend, and my best friend coming in a month. Where else can I take them? I'm going to head to hamilton pool this weekend!
First thursday on south congress is pretty fun. In your area there are round rock express games. Alamo drafthouse has a lot of fun special events. (mister sinus 3000 are hilarious)

Esthers follies downtown is a comedy show that is very good

The duck tours/segway tours can be fun. But look for discount coupons.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:45 AM

594 posts, read 1,250,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
the fallback destination would be Krause Springs, farther west; but I'll bet it is super crowded on a 100 degree weekend! Krause Springs - Spicewood, TX
This would be my suggestion. So pretty. Gorgeous, clear water.

Horseback riding in Bertram: COLBERT RANCH, HILL COUNTRY HORSEBACK RIDING, AUSTIN HORSEBACK RIDING, TRAIL RIDING (we loved this)

Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Try Central Market on North Lamar - check out their calendar and go have dinner under the trees and listen to live music, then bring home some really nice food. I really much prefer it to Whole Foods these days.

Check out Edible Austin for other food-related events, farmers markets, CSAs, restaurant recommendations, etc.

Lake Georgetown has the Goodwater Trail if you're into hiking. (Though it is a bit hot for that right now, I grant you, you could put it on the list.

For a day trip, Enchanted Rock is a good bet.

You'll certainly want to go to The Broken Spoke down on South Lamar (we used to live crawlin' distance from the Spoke).

The other direction, in Walburg, you can eat and listen to music and dance if you're so inclined at the Walburg Restaurant and Biergarten or Dale's Essenhaus.

Running out of energy, back later with some more!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 AM

515 posts, read 1,397,588 times
If you want to take a drive outside of the area head to Wimberley. Eat lunch at the Leaning Pear, walk around the shops and cool off at the Blue Hole.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:34 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,737 times
Have you been to Hula Hut or the Oasis? Luckenbach is also fun. BBQ in Lockhart or at the Salt Lick in Driftwood. If you like wine we have plenty of local wineries.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:01 PM

61 posts, read 147,712 times
wow thanks everyone! I can't wait to see some of these places

Old 07-28-2011, 06:13 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
Here is one of my favorite SW Hill Country Cruises. Depart OakHill in the morning and have lunch at the Grist Mill in Gruene, TX. This is a very scenic drive.

Oak Hil to Grune, TX - Google Maps

Most of my favorite places are on the SW side of Austin. From Cedar Park you should consider some of the things that side of town gives you an advantage to to see, such as:

Ride the train into Austin for dinner and a show at Ester's Follies.
Esther's Follies Austin Texas Premier Comedy Show

Drive through Jonestown to:

Arkansas Bend County Park on the North side of Lake Travis
Arkansas Bend Park

Picnic at the Bar-K City park at Lago Vista on the shores of Lake Travis
Bar K Park - Lago Vista - RecreationParks.net

A long winding hill country drive on Ranch Road 1431 to Marble Falls for Chicken and Dumplings
Blue Bonnet Cafe: Tuesday special
211 US Highway 281
Marble Falls, TX 78654-5703
(830) 693-2344
Blue Bonnet Cafe » Home

Explore Buchanan Lake and its parks and facilities:
Lake Buchanan Access

Drive a little further west to Llano and visit Cooper's BBQ for a truely unique Texas BBQ experience
Cooper's BBQ: Llano, Texas | (325) 247-5713 |

Visit Georgetown, TX and have lunch at a restaurant on the old town square
Visit Georgetown Texas

Visit Southwestern University, Georgetown, Texas oldest institution of higher learning.
Welcome to Southwestern University

Drive to Salado, TX north of Georgetown, the best little art town in Texas
Village of Salado Texas, The Best Art Town in Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin