Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 03:38 PM

319 posts, read 346,391 times

Advertisements

With respect to a mid level single family house renting at say $1500, which appliances are normally included. Fridges, washers, dryers ?

On leases, I'm assuming 1 yr is standard. Is it normal to be able to get an option for a 2nd year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 03:51 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Fridge is normally included. Washer & Dryer not necessarily. Utility bills will typically not be included, except sometimes water.

Features, size and age of home for $1500 will vary based on the location.

Yes, 1 year lease is standard. If you want to sign an actual 2 year lease (not option), then yes I believe most landlords will be happy to do that. Otherwise the typical lease will go month to month after the year is over, I believe, unless you renew by signing another lease.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:14 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
We leased when we first got here and had to have our own refrigerator and washer and dryer.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:30 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
It's going to be 50/50 on if a fridge is there, but more like 90/10 on a washer and dryer not being there.

Some landlords will give you a discounted rate if you do a larger deposit and 24 months instead of 12 months. They rather have the security that it's lease longer than having it empty for even one month to find new tenants after a year.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:58 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,355 times
I rented two houses within the same area here. I think $1 / sq. ft. a month was the "going rate." May be more or less other locations. First place didn't have a refrigerator or w /d. Second place had a refrigerator, not w / d, and no microwave (which I needed.)

I bought a w / d on Craigslist, and sold them on Craigslist. This was much cheaper than renting.....something to consider.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:52 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Ours had no fridge, no W/D. When we were looking we saw a mix of everything but only one place out of 15 came with both.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:10 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,268 times
For $1500/month, the house should be sparkling, in a fairly good neighborhood in central or west Austin, and have most appliances. Anything less will stay on the market far longer than necessary.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:20 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
For $1500/month, the house should be sparkling, in a fairly good neighborhood in central or west Austin, and have most appliances. Anything less will stay on the market far longer than necessary.
I don't think that's true. When we came down two and a half years ago, we paid $1600 for a house in SW Austin and it had neither a fridge or W/D. We were looking at houses that were 1800 square feet or less. We looked at houses ranging from $1400 to $1600 and NONE of them were centrally located and none of them had all appliances. The house we rented was listed for less than a week and a couple that we were supposed to see when we came down for the house hunting trip were already leased by the time we got here. Again, all were SW and none had the fride or W/D included. Unless rentals have dropped substantially since then I don't think that's what the OP will find.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:59 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
I do not agree. We looked at homes (and rented one) in that price range and NONE were sparkling and what I would consider "great" shape. In NW Austin -- just 3 months ago -- people were bidding on rental homes, offering more than what a home was originally listed at. Homes were flying off the MLS hours after being posted. Dead backyards, questionable carpet, older appliances are the norm for that price range and area and, as I said early, most did not offer a W/D and only a few came with refrigerators.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:55 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
I do not agree. We looked at homes (and rented one) in that price range and NONE were sparkling and what I would consider "great" shape. In NW Austin -- just 3 months ago -- people were bidding on rental homes, offering more than what a home was originally listed at. Homes were flying off the MLS hours after being posted. Dead backyards, questionable carpet, older appliances are the norm for that price range and area and, as I said early, most did not offer a W/D and only a few came with refrigerators.
I do not agree. I wouldn't have paid that much in that area with a home under the conditions you cited. However, you may have previously come from an area where such prices are common. Believe me, those prices are not common for most Texans. That's why there is a sub-market just for out-of-towners from high-price areas like SF, LA, NYC, & Seattle (among others) where such prices and home conditions may be considered a "bargain".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: