Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:36 AM

110 posts, read 246,033 times

Advertisements

How about them apples?

Parking lot gunfire wounds man stopped at traffic light downtown (http://mo.statesman.com/news/local/parking-lot-gunfire-wounds-man-stopped-at-traffic-1714760.html - broken link)

Video of shooting can be found here. Shooting happens in last 30 seconds.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=nRW4g-0J168

Last edited by Nighthawks11; 08-09-2011 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 10:12 AM

388 posts, read 848,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawks11 View Post
How about them apples?

Parking lot gunfire wounds man stopped at traffic light downtown (http://mo.statesman.com/news/local/parking-lot-gunfire-wounds-man-stopped-at-traffic-1714760.html - broken link)

Video of shooting can be found here. Shooting happens in last 30 seconds ]
Is that a bad area of town, or just random? Seems like there was a high AA contingency in that video, I'm just saying that because I was under the impression there is generally a much larger number of Hispanics in Austin.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:15 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
That's literally less than 1/4 mile from APD headquarters. How embarrassing.

Hope the victim recovers fully, and that they catch the guy... sheesh.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawks11 View Post
How about them apples?

Video of shooting can be found here. Shooting happens in last 30 seconds.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
the second link doesn't take me to the video.

edit: weird, it is now that i quoted you.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:37 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Is that a bad area of town, or just random?
Not a great area, even with the presence of APD headquarters. Stopped at a nearby gas station one night, right by the highway, and got out pretty quickly because of a situation there.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:40 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,456 times
That corner (6th & I-35) is a big drug dealing area. I know some people who live in one of the condos at 6th and Brushy St, and they've told me that they've seen the police arrest several people dealing drugs behind the Chevron station at that intersection.

Unfortunately, the east end of Downtown Austin (Trinity St and eastward, especially between 4th and 9th St) has gotten very seedy in the last few years and is not an area in which I would want to hang out by myself. Hopefully this shooting is an isolated incident.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
That's literally less than 1/4 mile from APD headquarters. How embarrassing.

Hope the victim recovers fully, and that they catch the guy... sheesh.
Why would that be embarrassing? You can't fix crime by adding a Police department like you can in Sim City. Sure there is a police station but it isn't a Fort. cops aren't looking off of a battlement located on the roof. Cops are in the street where the croud is. Excuse me. Where the Crowds are.

There are a bunch of people in that area. Especially after the bars close on a Saturday night. No possible way for the police to keep am eye on every person.

Course you may have been referring to how embarrassing it would be you be a criminal and accidentally shoot an innocent bystander. In that case, I agree.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:58 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,181 times
Just curious....I'm not a police officer nor do I know much about law enforcements, so I'm just asking.

Is it possible to have a police officer or two posted in the parking lot at the corner of 6th and 35? I know resources are limited and other duties might call, but would this possibly help deter this type of crime?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Is that a bad area of town, or just random? Seems like there was a high AA contingency in that video, I'm just saying that because I was under the impression there is generally a much larger number of Hispanics in Austin.
Austin is pretty diverse. There being a bunch of African Americans in the video is not a direct correlation of there being a bad area. Sure somebody got shot when a fight broke out, but criminals are criminals and you will find them in every age shape gender and color. I also don't really think that the majority of the Hispanic population hangs out on 6th street although I don't spend a whole lot of time there. Someone else would probably know a little more about the down town demographics.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Just curious....I'm not a police officer nor do I know much about law enforcements, so I'm just asking.

Is it possible to have a police officer or two posted in the parking lot at the corner of 6th and 35? I know resources are limited and other duties might call, but would this possibly help deter this type of crime?
This area is kind of the perfect storm. You are looking at downtown 6th St on a Saturday night after the bars let out literally thousands of intoxicated patrons. Some are driving drunk and crash. The police have to go to those. Some people want to fight each other. Again, more cops. Other folks want to report their car stolen because they parked it in the tow away zone. More resources. Passed out guy in the alley. Police again.

Crowds will form wherever the cops aren't. Unfortunately most modern forms of policing are reactive. As soon as you finish a call for service, there is another waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin