Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 PM

6 posts, read 13,022 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering making the move to the Cedar Park/Leander/Round Rock/Georgetown area. I'm about to graduate as a physical therapist and my husband is in IT.

We do not want to live in Austin proper so as to avoid the hustle and bustle and keep our sanity.

We are not going to be buying a house any time soon, so we will be renting.

Basically, we are looking for ideas and opinions on the aforementioned areas and which one might be best for us based on our skill sets.

Hearing from any physical therapists would be great, but all opinions and all info is most welcome. Anyone have a hospital they think is great that I should look into? Any places to avoid?

Thanks in advance for the great info...

CTXBound
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 07:00 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
I just answered you on the other thread:
As you sound like you're younger, I would stick more towards Cedar Park and Round Rock. Georgetown does have people of all ages, but they also have Sun City which is a 7500 unit housing development of over 55 years. So, on average, Georgetown is an "older" city.

Dell's Children's is right there in ROund Rock. Google St. David's, Scott and White, and Seton and that will show you the majority of hospitals in the area.

Also, if you live in Cedar Park, Lakeway's new Medical Center will be opening next Spring and they'll be hiring hundreds. You would just take 620 down.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:31 PM

FalconheadWest,

Thanks for the great info...

Old 08-08-2011, 08:43 PM

No problem. My cousin-in-law is in physical therapy and works in NW Austin off 183 and 620/45. I can get information from her if you want me to.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 PM

Sure, that sounds great. Any info helps us make better informed decisions.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,247 times
I wouldn't describe Austin as hustle and bustle unless you are moving here from a small town. People complain about traffic and other things but those are really design problems rather than crowded. The city of Austin is very spread out and pretty quiet for the most part. I would base my first place off a job location until you figure out what works best for you. If your husband gets job in South austin you wouldn't want to live in Leander or Georgetown.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:17 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Dell Children's Center is in the Mueller develepment in Austin unless they expanded.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Dell Children's Center is in the Mueller develepment in Austin unless they expanded.
NO they haven't expanded, that's just post pregnancy brain speaking... Actual "Dell" in in Round Rock and I had the picture of Round Rock's "St. David's" in my head and combined the two.

I'll contact my cousin-in-law to see where she works. They're out of town on vacation right now.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
As someone whose office is in Georgetown, Sun City is, indeed, part of Georgetown. So is Southwestern University, and a whole lot of neighborhoods of young families, and everything in between. It's a town in its own right, which means it, of necessity, spans the generations. We moved to the area from South Austin, five minutes from downtown, and I'd hardly describe it as an "older" city (or a city, really, at all, more a large town with access to city amenities) unless you're talking about the fact that the town itself was founded in the mid-1800's.

As for hospitals, these days you can hardly throw a rock without hitting one - they're popping up like mushrooms! Round Rock and Georgetown are both nicely located for someone working in the medical field.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:00 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
NO they haven't expanded, that's just post pregnancy brain speaking... Actual "Dell" in in Round Rock and I had the picture of Round Rock's "St. David's" in my head and combined the two.

I'll contact my cousin-in-law to see where she works. They're out of town on vacation right now.
Oh my goodness. So funny. (sorry I'm derailing this post) When I had my daughter 3 years ago, I returned to work after 3 months of maternity leave. I returned to work, and you'd think that I needed some kind of meds. I felt like I was functioning at 65%. I often found myself laughing and telling people, "Oops, I have 'PPS' (Post Pregnancy Syndrome)", and I don't think they quite got it. I discussed this with my friends with children, and they, too, seemed clueless about my "PPS." I thought I was going crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin