Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 01:56 PM

26 posts, read 119,007 times

Advertisements

Now I know Austin is a big city just like anywhere else, I am very excited now reading some of the other posts that Austin is a non-republic community for the most part.

My buddies are in the local music scene and one is into "body art", long story short he hooked up with some musicians from the Austin area and they said that Austin was a very liberal town and THE place to BE!.
I thought they were feeding us a spoonful of some good ol' fashioned BS till I really dove into these forums and looked up all kinds of cities.

What I'm looking for is somewhere liberal, almost not necessarily hippie-ish but a place where a person can be their own without the all seeing judging eye like i've experienced in other states.
I'm not a true femenist but I believe in culture and that people should be who they want to be without discriminatory remarks or harassment.

How is the medical system as in if someone was needing what we call medicaid here or medi-cal?

How difficult is it for the more "unique" looking people to get jobs?

Since I myself have never been to Austin I am curious to hear opinions on where a good place for a single mom to go.
Safety and good schools.

I am very partial to FL but I fear I will never be able to afford to move back there, my old apartment that was 600 ish is now over 1300.00 a month.
For a single mom.. that's tough! You can't live off Disney wages i'm afraid

Are there good vocational schools?

I have done some research and saw pictures and it looks really nifty, being a Floridian native I am concerned about the dry heat.
How are the summers there? I would like to know from locals and also from maybe anyone thinking of relocating there who found it difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 03:28 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Well, it's not humid like Florida, but it's not dry heat, either. We have threads on here about it not being so much liberal as it is libertarian, although central austin is more liberal than the outer areas. Outer areas are more republican, or right of center. Tattooed and pierced people, depending on the job, probably won't have too hard a time finding work. It is primarily a college town anyway. Austin is growing rapidly, but still does not seem to have the crime rates of cities like Houston or Dallas, yet. East of 35 near Central Austin would be almost the only area to stay away from, although it is now starting to be an up and coming area.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:03 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
Both Enigma and Katzen live, or did live, in Austin. So, no matter how into body art you are, odds are you don't approach those two. South of the river is accepting of everyone. South Austin is perfect.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:04 PM

19 posts, read 90,238 times
I'm a single mom two with 2 boys ages 11 and 8. I live in the north Austin/Pflugerville area and I live east of 35. I do agree to stay away from 35 east on the central side near St John's area and I think around 12th street (not to sure though), also Dove Springs area and Springdale area. I live in a mobile home right now and they neighborhood is great, I think it's that way because the management is very strict where I live. No rundown homes or junker cars in the yards. I also have a two car garage with my home. I have been here 15 yrs. Austin is very accepting of people who are musicans or into "body art". Austin is accepting of a whole lot of different people. Austin has horrible traffic, I think no one thought Austin would grow like it has. The summers are brutal to me because they last so long, usually from mid March until mid November. There are alot of resources for single moms or dads you just have to be willing to look for them.
My kids go to Pflugerville schools. The schools they go to, I believe are safe. my kids do great in school. My oldest son came very close to aceing the TAKS test. Anyways I could go on and on.
Austin is great. It could have more and it has it's problems like all cities do. You can't compare Austin to LA or Houston or Dallas because it's just not that big. I like Austin because it's very diverse.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:03 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Both Enigma and Katzen live, or did live, in Austin. So, no matter how into body art you are, odds are you don't approach those two. South of the river is accepting of everyone. South Austin is perfect.
That's exactly what I was going to say. If Enigma and Katzen are comfortable living here, then I think just about anyone would be

When compared to FL, there is just.. well... no comparison. My wife was born and raised in Orlando (Winter Park) and she loves it here. I go back with her a few times each year and I can't WAIT to get back to Austin. Florida is so humid, suburban, flat... ugh. Don't worry about the dryer air... it's more comfortable and your skin will clear up and your hair won't frizz as badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: