Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 05:01 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times

Advertisements

Anybody remember the Oakland As' baseball team in the early 1970's? All the players had mustaches because the team owner Charlie Finley decided to pay each player who grew a mustache before Father's Day a $300 bonus. On Father's Day game, all fans who wore a full mustache (men only) were granted free admission to the A's game that day.

Did you know that for more than 50 years before that, only two major league baseball players total had facial hair? There was some crazy unwritten rule that ball players don't grow hair on their faces.

There is a really good story about how mustaches made it back into baseball at this link. Reggie Jackson caused the whole thing:
Oakland A's Fan Coalition - Athletics baseball enthusiasts dedicated to watching a winner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 07:19 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
Can we just stop this conversation right here? I am EMPHATICALLY anti-facial hair... and I just can't handle the thought of it making a comeback. I urge you, fellow Austinites, to please consider the severity of these decisions.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Can we just stop this conversation right here? I am EMPHATICALLY anti-facial hair... and I just can't handle the thought of it making a comeback. I urge you, fellow Austinites, to please consider the severity of these decisions.
Anti-facial hair That's like being anti-man I am a firm believer of secondary sex characteristics!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:28 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Anybody remember the Oakland As' baseball team in the early 1970's? All the players had mustaches because the team owner Charlie Finley decided to pay each player who grew a mustache before Father's Day a $300 bonus. On Father's Day game, all fans who wore a full mustache (men only) were granted free admission to the A's game that day.

Did you know that for more than 50 years before that, only two major league baseball players total had facial hair? There was some crazy unwritten rule that ball players don't grow hair on their faces.

There is a really good story about how mustaches made it back into baseball at this link. Reggie Jackson caused the whole thing:
Oakland A's Fan Coalition - Athletics baseball enthusiasts dedicated to watching a winner
I find it absolutley fascist that the Yankees don't allow their players to have facial hair...man, that's such a 1950s letter-jacket,football player named Biff type rule...

Booooooooooooooooo!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:52 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
I find it absolutley fascist that the Yankees don't allow their players to have facial hair.
Wow, I did not know that. Weird.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:18 PM

26 posts, read 119,007 times
Default they need to get over it

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnitureprincess View Post
I probably will be once they find out I am from California!!!!! (gasp)
haha are people still doing that whole "hate on outsiders especially california thing?" that is so funny i thought that was over in 2001. oh well shows how much im up to date.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:24 PM

26 posts, read 119,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Well, I like tattoos, but I REALLY like your facial hair message.
I have long hoped that fashion in the US will turn back towards accepting all kinds of crazy beards. I love looking through photos of people in the Civil War era and seeing official portraits of important men with beards that would only look right on a total social outcast today. It wasn't THAT long ago. Why do we have to keep dragging razors across our faces daily as a prerequisite to looking normal?
I wanna walk around with sideburns connected to my moustache and not get funny looks. Maybe Austin can start the trend.
All mainstream workers in Austin: grow an insane beard (I know some of you want to) and let's get this going.
I LOVE YOU!! hahahaha
this comment was amazingly funny, and that would be wicked!
can you imagine the workmens comp claims though? yes mr.wmc i need to file a claim because my neighboring workmate caught my eye with his trailing mustache full of bees wax and now im blind.
still i second your idea that would be fun!! keep austin weird right?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin