Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 08:20 AM

37 posts, read 95,964 times

Advertisements

We're in a bit of a daycare/preschool bind and I'm struggling with finding a good place for our 20 month old. I wanted to get the community's opinion on what the best preschools are in Central Austin. And we live in Brentwood so looking for places towards the north side of Central. I know this is very subjective and what is best for one family may not be a good fit for another but let me give you an idea of what I'm looking for:

- don't have a particular preference on teaching philosophy (montessori, play based, etc), however we would like a good mix of structured activities (circle time, art, music, etc) with plenty child led play and outdoor time.

-caring teachers and administration, not corporate national chain type of places (although i know some of these could be good)

- the problem is that most of the places I find as described above tend to be in somewhat rundown facilities. I know kids this age don't care if the place is **** span or new. And I'm not looking for high end finishes and modern decor. I'm just talking about fresh paint on the walls, clean floors, no musty smells. A lot of places where we love the teachers and the curriculum have been so depressing in the inside. I would love bright, open spaces with natural sunlight and focus on hygiene.

- would prefer a non religious affiliated but we're not too strict on this as long as there is not a huge focus on the religious aspect.

- due to our son's temperament (calm, shy, observant), we would like a place that is relatively calm (vs places that are very free play based)

- a place that also takes infants would be huge plus since we have another baby on the way.

Looking forward to hearing thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 11:12 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,758 times
One of the best is the Early Childhood Program at the Jewish Community Association of Austin. They've got a huge waiting list, however.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:21 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxb317 View Post
We're in a bit of a daycare/preschool bind and I'm struggling with finding a good place for our 20 month old. I wanted to get the community's opinion on what the best preschools are in Central Austin. And we live in Brentwood so looking for places towards the north side of Central. I know this is very subjective and what is best for one family may not be a good fit for another but let me give you an idea of what I'm looking for:

- don't have a particular preference on teaching philosophy (montessori, play based, etc), however we would like a good mix of structured activities (circle time, art, music, etc) with plenty child led play and outdoor time.

-caring teachers and administration, not corporate national chain type of places (although i know some of these could be good)

- the problem is that most of the places I find as described above tend to be in somewhat rundown facilities. I know kids this age don't care if the place is **** span or new. And I'm not looking for high end finishes and modern decor. I'm just talking about fresh paint on the walls, clean floors, no musty smells. A lot of places where we love the teachers and the curriculum have been so depressing in the inside. I would love bright, open spaces with natural sunlight and focus on hygiene.

- would prefer a non religious affiliated but we're not too strict on this as long as there is not a huge focus on the religious aspect.

- due to our son's temperament (calm, shy, observant), we would like a place that is relatively calm (vs places that are very free play based)

- a place that also takes infants would be huge plus since we have another baby on the way.

Looking forward to hearing thoughts.
We really liked WAYA. (west austin youth academy). They dont teach very much but they have awesome physical facilities and it is very well maintained. Plus somehow it costs like $4/hour.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:34 PM

109 posts, read 161,691 times
Default Jcaa

Otherwise known as the "J". My son is there right now, and while the program is play-based, they do introduce aspects of Judaism - Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, etc.

We are not Jewish, but we are not at all conflicted about sending our child there. The values they teach are ethics and compassion, and everyone there is wonderful.

It's a little pricey, and they operate on the public school schedule. Unless a non-paying parent has pulled their child out, you will have to wait until March or April to find out if you have a place in the fall semester.

We are very happy there, and just fyi - it's easier to place an infant than a toddler. That said, once the infant is in, the toddler receives preferential consideration.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:09 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times
JCC, Childs Day, All Saints Episcopal, First English Lutheran, St. Luke's Infant Care Center. our kids went to Childs Day and All Saints - love them both

Old 10-24-2011, 08:16 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Any NAEYC accredited school will be good.
National Association for the Education of Young Children | NAEYC
Accredited Program Search | National Association for the Education of Young Children | NAEYC Academy | Accreditation

The CDC at Temple Beth Israel is amazing (also hard to get into) but look at Open Door Preschool both the central and east locations.
The Open Door Preschool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: